Question for the over 60's

ditchman

Yeah...its "the scottish thing" again

do you think that "we" England &Scotland were more united BEFORE joining the E.U. or AFTER.......................

do you think , that in some way, either by accident or design...the E.U has helped in creating the current state of affairs between us....?

its just that i have caught a bit of what T.May has been saying.....something along the lines of being stronger together after leaving the EU........

any thoughts ? ...observations !

hello, as an over 60s before we had the EU we could call this country Great Britain, now its broken Britain, maybe soon it will be just England, i am proud to be british like those from Wales and Scotland have the same for their country, it will be a sad day if this union were to fall hence the saying UNITED WE STAND etc etc

I believe that the EU has caused second rate politicians to flourish and paint rose tinted pictures of a divided UK. I always, and still do, regard myself as British. I was born in England, with English and Irish grandparents.

I sincerely hope that we remain the United Kingdom.

I was long ago in the 1970s a SNP supporter, mainly because of the SNP stand against joining the Common Market. Talk was that membership would destroy the Clyde Valley tomato growing industry.

Blackpowder

hhmmm interesting.......................

In 1966 I was in a pub in Dumfries when England won the world cup. The roof nearly came off with everyone cheering, mostly Scots, I really do not think the same result would be celebrated by many Scots now.

Is that true? I suppose it must be if you were there, seems incredible and unimaginable today. I went to the last England v Scotland home international at Wembley in the 1980s, it was a night game, the scots were openly burning the cross of St George flag, on the terraces.

The eu seeks to destroy nationhood so the answer would be in my view, yes they have weakened the uk, but the snp have done most of the damage.

errrrrr? ??? Hang on I scrolled down and forgot the question. Hah!! Gone back up and down and I wrote it down :-)

No disrespect to many decent law abiding folk who have moved here in the last fifty years from foreign fields, but driving through some large towns and cities I do see evidence that as a country we are no longer 'United'. It would be very interesting to see the reaction should we suddenly be at war again and instigate 'call up' procedures. There would be a rush for the ferries and not just by immigrants but also by some of those born here I'm afraid.

Yes I think our country's were better united back then and Great as already posted. I am 60 later this year but I can remember(sometimes)singing

the national anthem both at school and in the Boys Brigade. I can honestly say that I am proud to be born Scots but also a proud British citizen

and long may it remain that way.

It's partly the EU, but I'd argue that the biggest cause of the current antagonisms was Tony Blair. He thought he'd be clever and gerrymander a permanent Labour majority in Scotland by devolving spending power to a local government that he fondly imagined would be controlled by the Labour party in Westminster. Remember at that time, Labour were traditionally the largest party in Scotland.

But he was too clever for his own good. At the same time as he was devolving political power to tbe Celtic parliaments, he pulled'Nu-Labour' rightwards. This then opened up a massive gap on the left that was gratefully occupied by the Nats. Issues that had previously been debated in purely political or class terms - public housing, schooling, social support, etc, etc, now became couched in nationalist terms. Not only that, but the subsequent collapse of the Labour vote north of the border - a collapse brought on by Nu-Labour's economic and social desertion of its traditional voters- now meant a Tory government in Westminster for the foreseeable future.

Of course, it's a Nat Party fantasy come true! The Tories or us? Take your pick.

And so here we are.

Having worked in all the Celtic 'fringes' - Scotland many times - I don't feel we are particularly united and there is huge dislike for the Westminster elite. I've encountered what can only be described as racist bigotry from both the Welsh and the Scots which, anywhere else, could have landed them in jail. The only thing holding us together today is the money we dish out. Post EU exit they will need our money even more but it will not change how things are.

I don't qualify ether but as someone who lives in the south I think that the government in Westminster has had a lot to do with the problem of the uk fragmenting, because they haven't really stood up to the eu and fought our corner!

They have only seamed interested in london for some years now