Celebrities and MPs at tragedies

ferguson_tom

Following the terrible events at the Kensington flats the other day got me thinking why on earth do celebrities and even more so MPs feel their presence provides any form of comfort or reassurance to the victims. I see it as nothing more than someone rubbing there own egotistical personality and in worse cases point scoring and "good publicity"

rather than wasting time going round hugging people for the cameras why not use their wealth and public clout to really sort something. Such as rather than putting families up in a make shift crisis centre in a school hall book them into one of the thousands of hotel rooms within 5 minutes of the area.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably are using their position and clout to try to get things moving. We don't know that they aren't?

But if you are reasonably fit and able perhaps you could nip down and offer help as an ordinary person and quite clearly empathising with the plight of these people? Stevenage is within easy striking distance. Straight into Kings Cross and then by tube to Ladbroke Grove or Latimer Road. A nice show of solidarity from the Home Counties?

I hope the Queen will visit soon, after all she visited Manchester victims fairly quickly. She takes her example from her parents and their wartime visits to blitzed areas. May was remiss in not seeing some victims or survivors yesterday. Either she is frightened of reactions or badly advised (again). OK Corbyn could be said to be making political mileage from it but isn't that what politicians do? At least he went and spoke to ordinary people.

Edited by Katzenjammer

Makes me sick to my stomach watching them. Lily Allen (worth $20 million), Rita Ora (worth $16 million) and Adele (worth $135 million) and the best they can do is a public appearance. Oh joy!

If they cared that much they would put their hands in their pockets and rehome everyone involved.

Simon Cowell (Worth $550!!) Is launching a charity single to help us donate our hard earned cash. What a hero!

What has happened there is horrendous and they need our help and support not celebs trying to ease their own guilt and raise their own profiles.

On the morning after the fire a local small businesman and his wife took a thousand pounds out of their bank account and gave £100 to each of 10 families involved.

It was done quietly and without fuss and not in front of the media.

Nice to know that some people can do the right thing without wanting to make either political capital or fame.

Makes me sick to my stomach watching them. Lily Allen (worth $20 million), Rita Ora (worth $16 million) and Adele (worth $135 million) and the best they can do is a public appearance. Oh joy!

If they cared that much they would put their hands in their pockets and rehome everyone involved.

Simon Cowell (Worth $550!!) Is launching a charity single to help us donate our hard earned cash. What a hero!

What has happened there is horrendous and they need our help and support not celebs trying to ease their own guilt and raise their own profiles.

hello, the word being US again, i just thought those mentioned celebs with 750 million???

Isn't Corbyn the local MP ? If so he should be there anyway.

What did make me hold my breath was the report that Emergency Service staff had been heavily traumatised by the incident. Now if they have then they should not be in the job. Been there done that, peeled roasted bodies from the seat frames of cars, had a beautiful young 18yr old girl die on my shoulder as I tried to support her and then had to go and inform her parents. Was told to go and prepare a dead body in the hospital morgue for the Coroner and do the paperwork only to find an 8yr old on the slab been hit by a car. Deeply saddened yes, but traumatised, no, because I had been trained to expect worse than this when I joined.

Perhaps they want to express their humanity rather than have us thinking they sit in their ivory towers doing sweet F.A. I have to confess it never ceases to amaze me that there are folk who see fit to tell others how they should be spending their wealth. Yes, there are some very wealthy people out there and yes, you would think something like this would galvanise them in to some kind of action but the fact of the matter is we don't know whether they are doing anything but choose not to have it broadcast. Or you could well be right. For all we know they could just be doing it to massage their grossly inflated egos so that their sense of self worth allows them to sleep better at night. One thing is for sure, they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

Isn't Corbyn the local MP ? If so he should be there anyway.What did make me hold my breath was the report that Emergency Service staff had been heavily traumatised by the incident. Now if they have then they should not be in the job. Been there done that, peeled roasted bodies from the seat frames of cars, had a beautiful young 18yr old girl die on my shoulder as I tried to support her and then had to go and inform her parents. Was told to go and prepare a dead body in the hospital morgue for the Coroner and do the paperwork only to find an 8yr old on the slab been hit by a car. Deeply saddened yes, but traumatised, no, because I had been trained to expect worse than this when I joined.

May I ask what branch of the emergency services you served with to have "been there done that" and what incident did you attend where there were upwards of 30 (so far) fatalities and a whole tower block alight?

Was you asked to write your name and station number on your helmet for identification if the building collapsed, but still went in regardless.

I imagine that the incident at grenfell tower was very traumatic for all those involved and that some of the emergency services personnel will cope better than others and some will need some form of counselling. That doesn't make them any less fit for the job.

No, his patch is Islington.

The Kensington and Chelsea MP is Emma Dent Coad, the woman who was with him on his recent visit to the area.

She has some interesting history... http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labours-new-kensington-mp-was-on-housing-scrutiny-committee-a3566661.html

Isn't Corbyn the local MP ? If so he should be there anyway.What did make me hold my breath was the report that Emergency Service staff had been heavily traumatised by the incident. Now if they have then they should not be in the job. Been there done that, peeled roasted bodies from the seat frames of cars, had a beautiful young 18yr old girl die on my shoulder as I tried to support her and then had to go and inform her parents. Was told to go and prepare a dead body in the hospital morgue for the Coroner and do the paperwork only to find an 8yr old on the slab been hit by a car. Deeply saddened yes, but traumatised, no, because I had been trained to expect worse than this when I joined.

May I ask what branch of the emergency services you served with to have "been there done that" and what incident did you attend where there were upwards of 30 (so far) fatalities and a whole tower block alight?

Was you asked to write your name and station number on your helmet for identification if the building collapsed, but still went in regardless.

I imagine that the incident at grenfell tower was very traumatic for all those involved and that some of the emergency services personnel will cope better than others and some will need some form of counselling. That doesn't make them any less fit for the job.

So well said .and because they are only human after all.

I did cpr on an 11yr old yesterday that had been hit by a Range Rover. I keep thinking about it, and wondering what else could we have done. Yes it's playing on my mind. Yes it's a traumatising situation no matter what training you've got. To say that people shouldn't be traumatised by such events is complete bull****!!

What did make me hold my breath was the report that Emergency Service staff had been heavily traumatised by the incident. Now if they have then they should not be in the job. Been there done that, peeled roasted bodies from the seat frames of cars, had a beautiful young 18yr old girl die on my shoulder as I tried to support her and then had to go and inform her parents. Was told to go and prepare a dead body in the hospital morgue for the Coroner and do the paperwork only to find an 8yr old on the slab been hit by a car. Deeply saddened yes, but traumatised, no, because I had been trained to expect worse than this when I joined.

Reading this, it sounds as though you did the job of all THREE of the Emergency Services put together, which I have to say, I find unusual to say the least. I too have dealt with some horrible incidents, which included my carrying firearms. I retired in 2001 and STILL, can not forget most of those incidents. No amount of training could possibly prepare you to deal with these things, unless they were able to bottle some of the smells that accompanied them too !

Walker570

Maybe in spite of their training they are human, after all they feel (first hand) what other people feel 2nd and 3rd hand (media). I cannot begin to imagine what any person would have felt at discovering the remains of a lot of children, be they emergency service trained or not.

No more to say except you were more than a tad callous.

Following the terrible events at the Kensington flats the other day got me thinking why on earth do celebrities and even more so MPs feel their presence provides any form of comfort or reassurance to the victims. I see it as nothing more than someone rubbing there own egotistical personality and in worse cases point scoring and "good publicity"

rather than wasting time going round hugging people for the cameras why not use their wealth and public clout to really sort something. Such as rather than putting families up in a make shift crisis centre in a school hall book them into one of the thousands of hotel rooms within 5 minutes of the area.

Agreed

Haven't experienced anything like that but both myself and my wife Sa the same thing when PTSD is mentioned

Maybe comrade Corbyn can requisition some of these celebs properties.

What emergency service did you work for or where you a crime scene forensic type of person?

Edited by Davyo