How do you control moths

30-6

In mine and my wife's wardrobe, t- shirts have irregular shaped holes in them, couple of mm diameter and covering an area of about a 2 pence coin. Don't seem to be in trousers or shirts.

I have discounted washing machine ripping clothes, so I am thinking moths. I bought some rentokil products to hang on rail but still finding holes. Don't want smelly moth balls, any ideas how to tackle this problem.

There's a good chance that Carpet Beetles may be the culprit in which case simply washing all your clothes and the Carpet should do the trick, - pretty sure that any clothes without any metal buttons etc could be treated by 10 seconds in the Microwave but you would need to experiment. As for Moths it's the Larvae that damage clothes so again a good wash/Microwave should do the trick but hanging Fly Paper in the wardrobe overnight might help catch the adults - not sure if they are attracted to light but you could try a small battery operated lamp placed alongside the Paper?

It has been the year of the moth. I have seen them flying about the house.  Check out on e bay or your local hardware store and get some moth balls. Hang them in your wardrobes, make small pouches with some spare thin material or gauze or on the wardrobe floor.  You just reminded me to get some spray as well to do the heads on my wall.

Been using moth balls all my life .... sensibly .... in clothes and also in my fly tying materials and I'm still here.

22 minutes ago, KFC said:

Soak an old bit of woollen material in a solution of sugar and water and place this in the bottom of the wardrobe.

The sugar will rot their teeth so they can only suck instead of chew your clothes.

Not sure if this is a dentist or a vet posting ..........

They are a pain in the back side.

I would invest in Demi-Diamond traps which are sticky pads in triangle holders, you will soon know if you have them. Put one out and see if they immediately flock to it.

You need to hot wash clothes, hoover around the edges of carpets, and try and find anywhere they might be living/using as a nest (we had it once where an old hoover was providing home to them and it was a nightmare until this was found in another part of the wardrobe)

Unfortunately they have VERY expensive taste....

36 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I use pheromone traps. No smell and seem to do a good job - caught a lot of moths last year anyway. Hope there will be fewer this year!

The pheromones are species specific though so you need to have an idea what moths you've got...

i use hormone traps............keep on catching loads of wimin

Every stage of the life cycle of the moth is disrupted by movement.

Get everything out of your cupboards/wardrobes and give it all a good shake outside. Then, as others have said, get in there with your vacuum cleaner.

If you have woollen jumpers, or seldom-worn wool or silk clothes, these need to be washed and dried before being packed away (preferably in vacuum-sealed bags, if they are going away for a while).

Lavender, cedar and other deterrents are a good idea, but the best solution is to frequently shake out and vacuum your cupboards.

LS

On 22/01/2018 at 10:12, loriusgarrulus said:

I put cedarwood discs on my clothes hangers in the wardrobe and lavender bags in my chest of drawers. Keeps them away. You need to change them every so often as the smell fades.

My wife always uses lavender bags where her fur coats are hanging (aka the Narnia wardrobe).  French lavender bags are apparently best as they have a stronger smell.