Pensioner arrested after fatally stabbing burglar

DanBettin

2 hours ago, dougall said:

if it is as reported no Jury will put him away.

If he is charged with anything it will mean he has a record, this will be on a "Disclosure" report and will disqualify him from many volunteer roles.  I may be wrong but as yet, there is no way to "remove" a charge from your history, even if you are found not guilty.  So, if he were a younger man, there are many positions he would be unable to apply for.

A completely innocent person, found to be so by a jury, still has a record I think,

RS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's convicted, it means, in essence, that he was presented with a right and a wrong decision, and chose the wrong decision, and must be punished for it.

In which case, I'd like to know what prosecutors would suggest the right thing to do was.

Edited by DanBettin

Local ward Councillor Mark Ingleby described the killing as a "tragedy" and said it had come "out of the blue".

So now it's a tragedy that a person entered a vulnerable mans home armed with a weapon and gets killed as a result? Just about sums this Country up for me.  What would he have said if the homeowner took an absolute pasting, homeowner gets what he deserves for confronting intruder? 

On 4/4/2018 at 17:54, decoy1979 said:

Local ward Councillor Mark Ingleby described the killing as a "tragedy" and said it had come "out of the blue".

So now it's a tragedy that a person entered a vulnerable mans home armed with a weapon and gets killed as a result? Just about sums this Country up for me.  What would he have said if the homeowner took an absolute pasting, homeowner gets what he deserves for confronting intruder? 

mark ingleby obviously lives in a bubble what  an ********.

charged with murder , thought April the 1st had been and gone.

The Police have erred on the side of caution. There has been a burglary, then a struggle and someone is dead. I will lose no sleep whatsoever that a burglar has died, but feel sorry for the householder.

On the facts, as we know them, there would seem little prospect of a charge and successful prosecution. A lot might well have depended on what the householder said at the time.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

The Police have erred on the side of caution. There has been a burglary, then a struggle and someone is dead. I will lose no sleep whatsoever that a burglar has died, but feel sorry for the householder.

On the facts, as we know them, there would seem little prospect of a charge and successful prosecution. A lot might well have depended on what the householder said at the time.

He probably said "have some of this you robbing b*******!"

'..and if it comes to it, make sure you shoot them inside the house - it saves a moerse load of paperwork ' was the advice I was given by a Cape Town cop after my place got burgled for the second time. Luckily it never came down to it; although during that period I carried a compact 9mm all the time and had more or less steeled myself to using it in earnest. 

The man was being held prisoner by thugs in his own kitchen, in his own house. Who knows what they planned to do with him once they'd finished robbing the place? Consequently any court in the land would deem that he acted in self-defence. He will never, ever be tried in a court. But it's a shame that at his age he should have the worry.

An Englishman's home is his castle - whatever happened to that whole conceor?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

+1

IF (and I think it highly unlikely) the CPS chose to prosecute, everyone should call for the immediate cancellation of all charges.  I would certainly join any organised peaceful protest (like the anti hunting one for instance) in support of him.

7 minutes ago, ordnance said:

I am not surprised he was arrested to be questioned under caution.  The police would not be doing their job did not investigate what happened, his age is irrelevant to the need to collect the facts. 

This.

The  police would be failing in their duty if they didn't carry out a full and proper investigation.

Things are not always as they first appear.

My old boss was in a serious car accident which was caused by the other driver, the other driver was killed in the collision. 

The police had to arrest him and he went to trial. The police apologised to him but said as there was a death involved they had been told it had to go to court by CPS. 

He was acquitted in about 5 minutes and even the Police officers gave evidence to say that the accident was clearly caused by the other driver and it was not his fault. 

Sometimes they have to follow procedure, as they should do in such serious circumstances. 

My old boss was in a serious car accident which was caused by the other driver, the other driver was killed in the collision. 

The police had to arrest him and he went to trial. The police apologised to him but said as there was a death involved they had been told it had to go to court by CPS. 

He was acquitted in about 5 minutes and even the Police officers gave evidence to say that the accident was clearly caused by the other driver and it was not his fault. 

Sometimes they have to follow procedure, as they should do in such serious circumstances.