ASDA &Sainsbury merger ?

ditchman

is this a good thing or bad thing...........will the result effectivly have more control over the price of food....................

i always buy my meat from the local butcher..............reason ?..............cause he is a heck of a lot cheaper that the supermarkets and better quality.........just compare the price of chicken breast twixt supermarket and local butchers...............you will be staggered............

will the monopolies and mergers commision have their say ................?

Not sure about the customer but it hasn't done the staff at our local Sainsbury's any favours. Seventeen staff being slashed to eight, all of whom have to reapply for the jobs they already have, and there are no guarantees the job they get will be in the same town. As a result a mate has just handed in his resignation and his wife will if she doesn't get her job back in the same store. 

Asda is fine. Cheapish but little choice. Sainsbury’s is better but pricey. As meat goes I always found Asda to do the better prepacked meat, especially steak. But neither are a patch on Morrison’s and none is on the same planet as the stuff one of my farmers rears and gets killed and butchered! Both do cheap fuel in Shrewsbury but Sainsbury’s is easier to get to for me. I suspect it’ll gradually make Asda more expensive and Sainsbury’s more expensive...expensiver..

13 hours ago, Old farrier said:

14 hours ago, scouser said:

Isn’t Asda owned by wallmart.

I remember seeing the Walmart CEO being interviewed by Trevor McDonald before Walmart took ASDA over. Strewth he was full of it, told the UK they would see what prices should really be like instead of the rip off levels here.

Well he did that alright but not in the direction people expected.

No doubt part of the patter if ASDA do merge with S/Burys will be better prices as well as greater customer choice annnnd a much better 'shopping experience'.....gawd I hate that expression ' '

I think they want the Sainsbury,s locals tbh ,as Tescos have them in most towns but Asda has nothing similar to match coverage and sales in out of the way places.The big shops are in trouble why have 2 shops in each Town ?if there,s an Asda im guessing the Sainsburys will be closed to restructure the company model and having just bought Argos Sainsbury,s with Asda will be a monster retail outfit 

8 minutes ago, clakk said:

I think they want the Sainsbury,s locals tbh ,as Tescos have them in most towns but Asda has nothing similar to match coverage and sales in out of the way places.The big shops are in trouble why have 2 shops in each Town ?if there,s an Asda im guessing the Sainsburys will be closed to restructure the company model and having just bought Argos Sainsbury,s with Asda will be a monster retail outfit 

Whilst I think you are quite correct that the supposed jewel in the crown would be the small local outlets to offer competition to the Tesco model, I think there will be areas where the Sainsbury and ASDA shops could successfully co-exist in various areas. They after all at different places in the shopping hierarchy. Personally I would see anything that caused some helpful competition to the massive Tesco conglomerate a plus and I also feel that the Aldi/Lidl way of selling stuff has a place in our current set up.

My local market town Berwick on Tweed has a population of just over 12,000, its a coastal town so no customers in an arc between roughly north east and south east.  It is the major centre of population for SE Scotland and NE England.   I think there are all the main outlets other than Sainsburys in town.  Morrisons, Aldi, Tesco, Asda, M &S, Iceland, Farmfoods, Home Bargains B & M bargains and another one outlet whose name eludes me.    Certainly plenty of choice in this one small borough.

Blackpowder

On 4/29/2018 at 17:27, washerboy said:

Price difference is vast, I can’t afford to shop at Sainsbury’s but I did find Asda to be cheaper then Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s for the small amount I buy on my way home from work, usually spend around £35 and Sainsbury’s you got hardly anything 

hello, i find that between Sainsbury and Tesco, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 minute ago, mossy835 said:

i know a friend that has worked for sainsburys for 16 years.6 weeks and he will be out of a job.

I don't know your friends circumstances, but chief exec of Sainsburys was saying on radio 4 today that with the expected competition/monopoly enquiry, the are not expecting the merger to complete until late 2019 ....... about 18 months.