Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You’ve all finally convinced me that this is serious. So I went to the cash and carry in Taunton. Entering the shop with a forward roll, I demanded pasta and toilet rolls. “They’re over there”, the flustered assistant said.

i managed to negotiate my way to the tills by commando crawling and combat rolls (not easy with a trolley full of pasta, toilet rolls and cat litter). Where I paid twice the usual price (they didn’t charge me that at first, I had to haggle).

It was lucky I got out when I did, as I overheard a staff member talking about some nutter loose in the shop; didn’t see him personally.

After this terrifying experience I don’t plan to leave the house again. Protect yourselves before it’s too late.

15 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

My wife's friend has recently returned from Thailand and only spent 2 nights there deliberately, as she has a business to run here in the UK.  She has gone into 'self isolation', not seeing her husband or kids for 2 weeks, just in case she is infected.  No signs so far and she's due to 'emerge' on Tuesday!  

At the other extreme (or not!)...when illegal immigrants are found here in the UK, either in the back of a lorry or on a boat, are they NOW checked for Corona virus and / or other contagious diseases?  If these people have travelled through Europe from Turkey, Iraq,  Syria, Pakistan, etc, it is possible that they may have contracted something!    

Probably have, but they won’t give a toss about it, will probably be put in a private hospital as well.

57 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Here's another interesting one - riots in 17 Italian prisons. So what happens when there's not enough staff to run the prisons? That's not just security but food etc.

Time to dig out for the back garden bunker?

They are fighting in the super markets for toilet rolls and hand wash, gawd help us if we have a real disaster and the brake down of law and order. :ninja:

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Would it be possible to do at least some of the course in an 'on line' form

Exactly what's going to happen. In fact, the whole thing is going online. Happy days - no delays!

I'm not a math person at all, but I still found this an informative and interesting presentation on the math behind epidemics. 

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

They are fighting in the super markets for toilet rolls and hand wash, gawd help us if we have a real disaster and the brake down of law and order.

They were stacking so many rolls of loo paper in Tesco this morning that it was stacked on pallets on the floor. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

They were stacking so many rolls of loo paper in Tesco this morning that it was stacked on pallets on the floor. 

They will be fighting over food next. :no:

If this does get out of control (brake down of law and order) I wonder if the police will ask/force gun owners to hand their guns in for safe keeping?

33 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Exactly what's going to happen. In fact, the whole thing is going online. Happy days - no delays!

Good sensible result.

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

Our local Morrisons was just as normal.  The only thing I spotted that was out of stock was samphire.  Pasta, low but stock, Baked Beans, plenty, several choices and multipacks, loo roll, several choices available, bottled pasta sauces , no gaps in visible stock ......... etc.

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

I wonder if the police will ask/force gun owners to hand their guns in for safe keeping?

If they have enough time on their hands to take that on - then there is no emergency.  There is NO WAY they could receive, records and store the guns for a whole police area inside months of planning.

23 minutes ago, old'un said:

They will be fighting over food next. :no:

If this does get out of control (brake down of law and order) I wonder if the police will ask/force gun owners to hand their guns in for safe keeping?

We'll need our guns to protect us from looters....especially toilet roll thieves😲

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I'm not a math person at all, but I still found this an informative and interesting presentation on the math behind epidemics. 

Interesting post, thank you. A friend of mine, who is a business analyst (originally from Russia) was telling me about the exponential growth factor on Saturday. She is seriously concerned to the point where she was initially thinking of locking herself away for a month. She now thinks that be closer to 3 months. 

The thing is, and I know it is just because of the unknown aspect of how this whole virus thing is going to play out, but the stocks & shares have really taken a big old knock. Some reports saying the biggest drop since before 2008. One can't help but wonder how this is going to pan out especially when you add to this people fighting over toilet paper & hand sanitiser as well as deliberately cough at fellow commuters because someone tells them to cover their mouth when they cough. It really is a sad state of affairs and makes me wonder what has happened to the human race to have such blatant disregard for their fellow man (or woman for that matter). 

just seen on local TV my surgery Brundall Medicle practice has been closed for a deep clean cause some muppet came back from holiday in the far east feeling sick ....and walked into the surgery..................

we are all waiting for the test results...........if i get it im dead fact...

On February 28th, Italy had 328 cases and 3 deaths .Today's latest figures are 9,172 cases and 463 deaths and the rate of increase on the graph is still pointed due north. The UK, on an almost carbon copy of trajectory, currently has 326 cases and 5 deaths. In other words, the UK is less than a fortnight behind Italy. Yet the advice from the government is still to simply wash your hands and carry on as normal. Highly, highly, irresponsible imho.

It's not like Italy is a unique case. Depending on the transmissability of the disease, absent timely measures, these epidemics will follow a mathematical progression of development.

Here  in Saudi, whilst there are probably more, there are only 20 reported cases. And yet the government has looked over the water at Iran and decided that they don't want to end up in the same boat. Consequently the schools are closed, public gatherings are banned, the shrines at Mecca and Medinah are closed, etc etc. Land borders are closed too. Will it work? Who knows, but at least the government is proactively trying to avert the inevitable public health disaster in the absence of any such measures.

It's quite shocking because I never, ever thought I'd see the day when a Saudi government was more responsible  and showed more concern for its population that did the government in Westminster. 

But perhaps it's not cynicism on the British government's part. Perhaps its like a rather painful and one-sided conversation I had with my father many years ago when I was about 17. He was driving and talking, and I was sitting next to him and listening, and we were on our way to view the wreckage of my mother's car which I'd put through a hedge the previous evening. He was normally a pretty tolerant man, but he was well wound round the axle this time, chiefly because the car hadn't been long back from the repair shop following a previous encounter with the wall of a pub. He was saying plenty, but one thing I still remember was '..there are three kinds of people in the world. There are intelligent people and they learn from other people's mistakes. Then you have most normal people who learn from their own mistakes. And then you have the cretinous bloody fools who will never learn!!!

Cynicism or stupidity. Not much of a choice really.

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

just seen on local TV my surgery Brundall Medicle practice has been closed for a deep clean cause some muppet came back from holiday in the far east feeling sick ....and walked into the surgery..................

we are all waiting for the test results...........if i get it im dead fact...

The diesel in your blood stream will kill off any earth born virus! 

besides, I am sure if fat Sarah offered you mouth to mouth, the shock alone would see you back on your feet, and running for your bunker, I mean shed! 

Edited by Lord Geordie

I am not too happy about the whole thing! My son has heart disease and my old man has many health issues. Diabetes, heart disease, chest issues to name a few! Both are in the high risk group. If anything were to happen to them, my whole purpose is gone! Quite simply, it would destroy me.