Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Easter holidays, 2 weeks, then 8/9 weeks term time, then 6 weeks summer holidays. Just 8-9 weeks child care.

I take it you don't have young children and work then?

8 or 9 weeks is a long time to be off work looking after your kids especially if any support you have, such as grandparents, are self isolating.

Edited by stuartyboy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

Damn. I was going to try to get a sneaky ski trip in. 

Ryanair are are still taking bookings . They say Spain will be in total lockdown as from Monday, even now all bars and restaurants are closed. Only places allowed to open are chemists supermarkets and garages. Jet2 and tui no longer fly there, but ryanair dont give a chuff, they are still taking bookings, also Italy and France. Take more than some poxy virus to hold those guys back

Had a meal in an Italian restaurant in Kelso this evening; it looked full to me, only eight empty seats out of around eighty, but the young waitress told us they were quiet, and had been for a couple of days. 
She was really good craic, and said her Dad had said that he used to cough to disguise his farts, but now he farts to disguise his cough! 😂

Various statistics suggest uk population 2018 = approx 65 million of which 70 yrs + account for about 9%. You can bet your sweet backside that there are no arrangements to deliver essential supplies and services for three months to nearly 6 million self quarantining people.

Edited by Bobba

47 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Various statistics suggest uk population 2018 = approx 65 million of which 70 yrs + account for about 9%. You can bet your sweet backside that there are no arrangements to deliver essential supplies and services for three months to nearly 6 million self quarantining people.

Why are 6 m old people quarantining themselves all at the same time?

1 minute ago, henry d said:

Why are 6 m old people quarantining themselves all at the same time?

'Cos  oldypigeonpoper quoted Robert Peston saying the Gov'nt are looking at over 70's quarantining themselves for three months. So, I wondered how many of us there were.

4 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

I take it you don't have young children and work then?

8 or 9 weeks is a long time to be off work looking after your kids especially if any support you have, such as grandparents, are self isolating.

So what are the alternatives? Send them to school and get the virus and complete the super spreader cycle infect you and your parents...?

3 minutes ago, Bobba said:

'Cos  oldypigeonpoper quoted Robert Peston saying the Gov'nt are looking at over 70's quarantining themselves for three months. So, I wondered how many of us there were.

Kinda odd as a lot will be in care and the rest (generalisation) will have children/grandchildren/ great grandchildren and they will have access to online shopping at the least. The same goes for school children as it looks likely they will have to isolate from school too.

Same boat scenario

I may have missed this, but what happens when the quarantine period is over and everyone starts to try and get in with their lives? The streets are busy, the trains and airports start functioning again. People go back to work. 
If the cause isn’t established and no vaccine is found, won’t we just find ourselves in the same situation we are now?
I’m assuming it started with just one infected person in China, and if that’s all it takes then where does that leave us? 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Had a meal in an Italian restaurant in Kelso this evening; it looked full to me, only eight empty seats out of around eighty, but the young waitress told us they were quiet, and had been for a couple of days. 
She was really good craic, and said her Dad had said that he used to cough to disguise his farts, but now he farts to disguise his cough! 😂

😁.😁

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

If the cause isn’t established and no vaccine is found, won’t we just find ourselves in the same situation we are now?
I’m assuming it started with just one infected person in China, and if that’s all it takes then where does that leave us? 

Various 'hopes';

1. That enough people will have had it and built up an immunity such that it has many less hosts and so can't spread nearly as easily. (The so called "herd immunity").  There is no certainty that having had it once will prevent it being caught again.  Some (mainly) do give an immunity due to your body 'learning', though viruses mutate to get around this, others apparently don't - at least not for long as the body's immune system doesn't seem to 'remember' them.  Apparently both SARS and MERS can be caught more than once.
  2. That a vaccine will be available - and like flu, measles etc., many will be protected by the vaccine - so again it will find it hard to spread (likely next year)
  3. That better treatments (such as a possible one found recently) may be available to reduce severity
  4. That (like Spanish flu), it will weaken and die out and/or become less severe

But overall, I think there is an acceptance that it is here to stay for the foreseeable future (like flu).

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

I may have missed this, but what happens when the quarantine period is over and everyone starts to try and get in with their lives? The streets are busy, the trains and airports start functioning again. People go back to work. 

Yes we will! The only I see of beating this is to get some sort of immunity in the population so you can lock down and hope for a vaccine or get the virus and get over it. the first would be best if it was going to be a couple of weeks and everyone could get vaccinated but it looks to be a year away if at all. Parts of china is still locked down, how much of the uk population would put up with being locked down for 3 months even if they could?

This chap is worth a watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etlyvt9n_QE 

What I can't understand regarding the lockdowns in various countries is the fact that supermarkets are remaining open!  Surely, they are the places where there'll be lots of people, although at the present time, perhaps not so many.  But it still seems crazy to me, as the virus can be more easily spread through surface contamination on the items for sale.   

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Love it , that's why they say there is a shortage of loo roll . One person coughs and 100 **** themselves  😀😀

As has been said, what if after the lock down it all starts again. 

And what of the long teem damage to the econamy. All the jobs lost to closures wont just re start. Then if the cirus takes off again people will just be back in the same position but far worse off financialy. This will surely pit more strain on the finances of the services.

We may have to ride this one out whilst trying to minimise the risk.

Its the fear of the unknown which is driving this panic buying frenzy. After all there are many risks to giing out each day. How many people lose lives on the roads each day, and there is no panic buying of crash helmets.