Panic buying

The Heron

My father is 93 and suffers with bronchitis and cannot get out luckely he has my sister and myself to support him so I would say to all the panic hoarders I hope you choke to Death on the food you didn't need and your fingers go through the bog roll when you wipe your botty you are a disgrace to the human race. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed, I have been trying to get stuff for elderly relatives and most of the time the staff just say "Company Policy, only 2 of any item." No allowance that you are shopping for others, but I presume there are those out there who would just say they were shopping for the elderly to get more for themselves!

It's totally pointless as well, if people just carried on as before there would be plenty on the shelves and the world would still go round. I popped into Tesco for a pint of milk and the shelves were totally bare except some fruit and crisps. No milk, bread, pasta, potatoes, canned food, meat very limited. Little animal food. More worrying wad the lack of beer, mostly all gone. 

All very silly behaviour and completely unnecessary. 

I do wonder what the vegans will do if it continues? 

if I could get 1 of some stuff it would be a *********** miracle let alone 2

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, I have been trying to get stuff for elderly relatives and most of the time the staff just say "Company Policy, only 2 of any item." No allowance that you are shopping for others, but I presume there are those out there who would just say they were shopping for the elderly to get more for themselves!

Especially the elderly that are not online so cannot order for themselves

12 minutes ago, 243deer said:

if I could get 1 of some stuff it would be a *********** miracle let alone 2

Especially the elderly that are not online so cannot order for themselves

I don't think you can get much on line, most of the shops will not take new customers and are at capacity for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I try to make my own bread as much as I can and went to get some yeast, everywhere was sold out.

Obviously a lot of people planning on baking at home, fine if they do, perhaps an upside of the pandemonium is that people may actually learn to cook and improvise a little bit once the pot noodles have all vanished.

We might actually see people buying dirty carrots and tatties and non uniform shaped veg.  Let’s hope so and let’s hope that changes behaviour from the nonsense we see now.

The problem with panic buying is its contagious. 

I'm disabled, my wife is disabled and if either of us catch it, it will kill her because of her medical conditions. It may kill me due to mine.

Our medications have been delivered by family today but even so, parts are missing especially morphine and insulin. Insulin I'm ok on till next week, morphine just 3 days left due to it's highly controlled nature and dosage. But seemingly ordinary meds like gabapentin and tolteredine are short. On phoning the chemist, the advice is "over order to make sure you get some" madness? Stupidity or I don't know what!

Our shopping is delivered by Sainsbury's 0730 - 0830 Thursdays mornings, week in week out. More or less the same sort of stuff. Loo rolls about once every 3 weeks🙄

Tomorrow is the last delivery we have booked, its impossible now to get slots for delivery despite the fact we buy an annual pass. With this in mind, today I doubled up on everything on my list. This I know is adding to the madness but I feel I'm forced into it. I only want 1 weeks shopping but if every slot is taken well into April when will I get my next delivery?

I emailed Mike Coupe, CEO of Sainsbury's  pointing this out and as yet await a reply.

My daughter is in isolation due to the youngest having a cough and temp. He and his sister where sent home from school 3 days ago with written instruction not to return till Tuesday 14th April. My daughter is unable to help in case she transmits to her mum or me. She also cannot buy on line, no slots available.

This all adds to the panic buying, as when its there if you don't buy it, when will you next get it.

I don't want to order 2 boxes of ready break, 2 bags of bread flour etc but if there's no more delivery it's a catch 69 situation.

Part of me feels selfish and guilty yet if everyone just bought as normal we could all survive. I suppose on the plus side if I get what I've ordered it will be nearer 3 weeks till I "need" not want anything else.

We are by far not the worst off I know of, we have meat in the freezer and can live without bread. I bake my own anyway. Stew for tea and fresh baked breadcakes and that will stretch to tomorrow's curry with some rice. Like a post above, maybe if people knew how to cook properly we wouldn't be in this mess.

38 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

It's totally pointless as well, if people just carried on as before there would be plenty on the shelves and the world would still go round. I popped into Tesco for a pint of milk and the shelves were totally bare except some fruit and crisps. No milk, bread, pasta, potatoes, canned food, meat very limited. Little animal food. More worrying wad the lack of beer, mostly all gone. 

All very silly behaviour and completely unnecessary. 

I do wonder what the vegans will do if it continues? 

I've just been to my local Lidl for a few things and either vegans have seen the light or there aren't many near me as the fruit and veg isles were full...

Edited by Deker

I went out last night to get the elderly neighbours 4 different items, non of which I would class as essential. Peanut butter x 2 jars, coffee beans x 2 packets, coffee filter papers x 2 packs and tonic water x 6 of 1 litre bottles (I was only allowed 4).  I had to go to Aldi, Lidl and Asda before I managed to get most things (only 1 coffee filter paper pack.)  I really couldn't believe the crazy situation.  The sugar isle in Aldi looked like a bomb had gone off...no bags of sugar but the floor covered in empty bags and loose sugar!  What the hell are people thinking?  Plus, what will people do if the takeaways shut?  Mind you, if you can eat some of the disgusting stuff at certain takeaways, I'm sure you could survive this virus!  Stay safe, everyone.  

My sister lives in Lombardy-the worst region in Italy for CV-spoke to her today and the shops are only allowing a certain amount of shoppers in at one time-all have been civil and taking provisions that they need rather than piling trolleys. Local crematorium in Bergamo has gone from 8 cremations a day to 30-60 a day. Luckily, she is up in the mountains rather than in a city.

One of the things she has witnessed is fatalities amongst people in fair health aged from early 40's upwards-contrary to the theme of 'elderly/underlying health risks'.

This CV episode has shown in a matter of days society can become fractured and people resort to grabbing what they can. 

I remember reading that 'We' are only seven meals from anarchy-in that if all power was lost, after the fridges/freezers have packed and in  and you can't fire up your cooker-folks would resort to looting and general mayhem.

crazy times.

f.

It was crazy in my local Morrisons yesterday....My Son has just been and the shelves are full again and it's quiet.

They have started limiting certain items to a max of 2 per customer and it seems to have worked.

Edited by daveboy

1 minute ago, daveboy said:

It was crazy in my local Morrisons yesterday....My Son has just been and the shelves are full again and it's quiet.

They have started limiting certain items to max of 2 per customer and it seems to have worked.

My ex works in our local Morrisons, she was telling me this morning people are ripping the pallets open as the staff try and put stuff away.

They haven't had detol or antibacterial soap in over a week and don't know when they will have it.

She said loads of people on Facebook are moaning about how bad said local shop is and how there's no stock, yet they are they ones going in there and clearing the place out..... Boggles the mind. 

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

My ex works in our local Morrisons, she was telling me this morning people are ripping the pallets open as the staff try and put stuff away.

They haven't had detol or antibacterial soap in over a week and don't know when they will have it.

She said loads of people on Facebook are moaning about how bad said local shop is and how there's no stock, yet they are they ones going in there and clearing the place out..... Boggles the mind. 

Surely you are not expecting people to be reasonable!

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely you are not expecting people to be reasonable!

No heaven forbid people should do such a thing.

My missus is worried, we've got vulnerable relatives both sides and although they keep saying the young are so badly effected my son has suffered with chest problems ever since he was a babe, the slightest cold plays hes breathing up so I'm not keen on him catching it.

She asked me if I was worried so I said no, concerned yes, but worried no. As soon as you start worrying you end up like the rest of the crowd. 

I've got enough malted barley, hops and yeast to make over 200 pints of ale so I won't be panic buying anything important in the foreseeable!

We're down to our last 6 bog rolls.  The mrs gets through ONE per day on her own.  Yes ONE ENTIRE bog roll.  When I was single I could make one last for a few weeks, it used to be quite a novelty changing the roll.  Words have been said!

49 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I've got enough malted barley, hops and yeast to make over 200 pints of ale so I won't be panic buying anything important in the foreseeable!

We're down to our last 6 bog rolls.  The mrs gets through ONE per day on her own.  Yes ONE ENTIRE bog roll.  When I was single I could make one last for a few weeks, it used to be quite a novelty changing the roll.  Words have been said!

Buy the daily mirror cut it into squares that's all its fit for. 

3 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

I went out last night to get the elderly neighbours 4 different items, non of which I would class as essential. Peanut butter x 2 jars, coffee beans x 2 packets, coffee filter papers x 2 packs and tonic water x 6 of 1 litre bottles (I was only allowed 4).  I had to go to Aldi, Lidl and Asda before I managed to get most things (only 1 coffee filter paper pack.)  I really couldn't believe the crazy situation.  The sugar isle in Aldi looked like a bomb had gone off...no bags of sugar but the floor covered in empty bags and loose sugar!  What the hell are people thinking?  Plus, what will people do if the takeaways shut?  Mind you, if you can eat some of the disgusting stuff at certain takeaways, I'm sure you could survive this virus!  Stay safe, everyone.  

Only able to get one pack of coffee filter papers? Some people are so selfish.

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Maybe most on here are lucky, if the worst happens we can shoot and prepare our own food, which is reassuring.

If your a city boy with family, I understand people's fear and wanting to protect family.

I can’t feed my family on what I shoot. Even if I was to feed the dog with it he would go hungry. Can’t remember the last time I managed to bag a pigeon.