guy martins spitfire

Saltings

just watching now it makes you realize how many gave their lives on land    on sea   and  in the air from so many nationalities  not just England so that     many snowflakes have the right to  protest not to mention riot and loot     invaders destroyed our lands then from outside       now home grown types  destroy from inside out   many different organizations want the country on its knees     they may get their way   if covid mutates with influenza we are ****eed 

Well there is a theory that we are suffering the effects of WWI. In that the boldest and the brightest from all classes and levels of society volunteered between 1914 and 1916 (when universal conscription was introduced) and were killed off so never got to have children. My family was lucky my grandfather on my mother's side came back and my grandfather on my father's side was by then, 1914, an old man too old by far to serve.

So the theory is that we are mostly the offspring of the second rate of that generation that came of age in the period from 1900 to 1914. Personally I don't really hold to it as those that were born on the 1920s came of age in the 1940 and acquitted themselves well in WWII and afterwards. No I think that it is media coverage that has created this impression that today people are as the OP describes. The majority are not. 

The lack of punishment in schools and from the courts along with police not apprehending even petty crime is to blame. When I grew up if you got caught you got done one way or another, a good clouting or prosecution. Your parents would be ashamed of your behaviour, letting you know regularly how bad you were. These days no it wasn't my child they're and angel and never do wrong. 

1 minute ago, figgy said:

The lack of punishment in schools and from the courts along with police not apprehending even petty crime is to blame. When I grew up if you got caught you got done one way or another, a good clouting or prosecution. Your parents would be ashamed of your behaviour, letting you know regularly how bad you were. These days no it wasn't my child they're and angel and never do wrong. 

I agree , and the " i wants " add to it .

Sometimes the rose tinted views of some of the members on here make me laugh out loud. So there were no spivs, cowards, perverts, murderers etc in the wartime generation? Over 100,000 british servicemen deserted during ww2. Then as now, not everyone was a square jawed hero.  A good bit of national service would sort out all societies ills wouldn't it?Not for the Krays and their like, but they were just naughty boys who loved their mum eh?

Not so long ago there were 18 year old kids born in the 1990s knowingly walking through fields of ieds accepting that every step could be their last. 

Please give it a rest with the whole modern generation is rubbish spiel. Yes, society has changed but that only ever comes from the actions of previous generations and their governments.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

I agree

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I agree , and the " i wants " add to it .

I agree

4 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Sometimes the rose tinted views of some of the members on here make me laugh out loud. So there were no spivs, cowards, perverts, murderers etc in the wartime generation? Over 100,000 british servicemen deserted during ww2. Then as now, not everyone was a square jawed hero.  A good bit of national service would sort out all societies ills wouldn't it? Not for the Krays and their like, but they were just naughty boys who loved their mum eh?

Not so long ago there were 18 year old kids born in the 1990s knowingly walking through fields of ieds accepting that every step could be their last. 

Please give it a rest with the whole modern generation is rubbish spiel. Yes, society has changed but that only ever comes from the actions of previous generations and their governments.

I agree

Confused - you will be in this weeks episode of....SOAP (now how do I get the tune on here 😂)

You are all right

well - mainly right -  as your points seem to clash with each other - @figgyis right - a good clip around the ear would stop many from doing it again - but then it won't for some (the Krays statement - if their mum ever clipped them round the ear?) - but the fact that we are not allowed :whistling: to do it anymore will only be to an overall detriment to society. This also runs into what @johnphilip says where there is a prevalent "I want" mentality but not with everyone. Then as @MirokuMK70 points out - there were mass deserters in previous generations - again a sweeping statement when it has been proven that a lot of these were suffering from PTSD and the like. We have kids born into the 00's that are serving in dangerous places now - However, these are the exception's of the "youth" of today I feel.

I say this as a Dad who is/was quite old fashioned :whistling: with two teenage kids - my children won't follow my footsteps where I served for 13 years - that could be because they never knew that side of me.

Is military service the making of people - again - for the majority of people - yes - although I think that the time has gone where this was recognized in Civvy Street and held in great esteem. I was lucky circa 20 years ago it still was but this was before the everyone needs a degree mentality.

I will say this for my children - they are clever, funny, polite and honest - nothing at all like me 😁 but we always get an extra pint on the doorstop - however one is quite snowflakey - and the other isn't - go figure

1 hour ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Sometimes the rose tinted views of some of the members on here make me laugh out loud. So there were no spivs, cowards, perverts, murderers etc in the wartime generation? Over 100,000 british servicemen deserted during ww2. Then as now, not everyone was a square jawed hero.  A good bit of national service would sort out all societies ills wouldn't it?Not for the Krays and their like, but they were just naughty boys who loved their mum eh?

This. The notion that all other generations but this one were worthy is simply ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

Seems that everyone has a right to be offended these days.

Oh no I'm offended and will use it to shut down any reasonable debate and get my own way.

Basically the way of the world now.

Nobody has any resilience or humour anymore

Cancel culture. Don't like it, shut it down!