P&O Mass sacking

Newbie to this

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say that the employers can do this as post-Brexit their employees legal protections have gone? In which case as the Folkestone and Dover area voted for "Leave" then you reap what you sow. But equally I can't understand why it is needed as, surely, with Brexit the prospect of very very profitable "booze cruises" for cross Channel ferry operators becomes possible as was up until the 1990s? Not at all good news for the crews though and despite puff and blather I doubt Johnson will do anything.

Edited by enfieldspares

14 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Ask for the covid money back or seize there boats and lets boycott P O and let them pi--  of 

The shuttle (for lorried freight) doesn't have the ability to take lorries over 4.2 metres height so there is effectively little other choice for tall vehicles and whereas the time spent crossing on the ferry counted as a rest break on the shuttle it doesn't as the crossing time it is thirty-five minutes. So it can never be used as a driver's three quarter hour break.

Edited by enfieldspares

58 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

It has UAE leadership (DP World).

I was on the SS Uganda 42 years ago and it wasn't very nice (to say the least).

They seem to control a lot of cargo ports around the world, difficult to boycott unfortunately.

I went on the SS Uganda 55 years ago sailing around the fjords of Norway. The stabilisers packed up and everyone was sea sick. No relevance to the OP's post though.

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I went on the SS Uganda 55 years ago sailing around the fjords of Norway. The stabilisers packed up and everyone was sea sick. No relevance to the OP's post though.

I dated a girl from Uganda in the late 1980s. Her flat in Notting Hill had, front and centre on the mantlepiece, a picture of soldiers. Seated on ranked benches. As they do in that sort of picture. I asked why she had a picture of soldiers on her mantlepiece. She replied it was a picture of her father. Which one I enquired. The in  one on the middle on the front row was the reply. Then it all became clear. No relevance to the OP's post either. 

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

My first thought was that it was related to Boris visiting UAE recently and P&O having Arab owners plus him making a deal with Iran.

Is it just a coincidence?

Could be, but 800 employees is small fish really when looking at deals done between the likes of Saudi and UK 

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I used to work for Fred Olsen years ago and was told that when it got really rough ,the stabilisors were withdrawn as otherwise they would get ripped off.  FromAuntie.