Gun cleaning

Marka11

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also use Napier and find it to be quite good, barrels inside and out then wad and rag, I use cotton buds to do the action and the fore-end internals.

Important to rag off any excess cleaner before applying a small amount of gun oil, I prefer to do the woodwork with a dedicated wood cleaner and then apply beeswax.

I clean my guns religiously after every outing using a bore snake, but at least once a month I use a rodding kit.

After every use It gets a reaming with the Paradox

if it shows signs of fouling then it's barrels inside with Legia, leave 10 mins whilst I clean action, stock, forend

Then bronze brush or Napier cleaning strip on rods,depending on level of fouling

another spray

paper towel on rods until towel is clean

oily rabbits-foot

monthly....chokes out, clean, grease, refit

wipe over all metal with oily rag

silicone sock, barrels down in cabinet

Edited by Diver One

Ok thanks for the replies guys it gets cleaned after every shoot day doesn’t matter if it’s 25 carts or 100 carts unlike mate of mine never cleaned it since he had it, my way of thinking is look after it, it will look after you. My regime is Napier down barrels leave that for 15/20 mins turning the barrels over so all sides get coated give the forend a wipe down with cotton bud and cloth then same with stock and action then bronze brush down barrels wipe thru with cloth after about 4 goes with Napier and cloth run bore snake then again cloth and bit of oil or grease around ejectors after cleaning them job done 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I still have a bottle but it doesn’t get used nowadays; it was my go to cleaner when I owned pistols and revolvers. Happy days. 🙂

They’ve starting selling it in a spray can these days - very modern (?!). There’s something about the smell that brings about a sense of nostalgia, like a freshly fired paper cased cartridge. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

They’ve starting selling it in a spray can these days - very modern (?!). There’s something about the smell that brings about a sense of nostalgia, like a freshly fired paper cased cartridge. 

I know what you mean; smells bring back so many memories. 👍

If heavily fouled push a ball of newspaper through. Then a scrub until any leading and remaining fouling is gone with a brass Payne-Gallwey type brush. The use a piece of clean "fourbytwo" to apply a light coating of oil. Finally check again within the next few days to see if the guns has sweated anything out of the metal. Which isn't what it actually does but you'll likeley know what I mean I hope?

19 hours ago, Fellside said:

Young’s 303. Call me old fashioned. It’s partly a buying habit, but I like it as well. 

Me too (for the barrels).  A little general purpose grease for the wearing surfaces, and Rangoon oil for external metal protection.  Key is always clean off old (including any dirt/grit/powder/soot etc) and sparingly apply fresh.  Never put enough oil such that it runs - it only needs a microscopic film.

4 hours ago, B725 said:

Is that the original 303 if so sell it to me I would use that as aftershave 😄

I still have a little of the original left.