Wood screws

mgsontour

Your too far from TWs at Swadlincote, Derbyshire but they have a whole rack to choose from and the store is designed so you can go around and fill your basket like a supermarket and the prices are reasonable. Great staff as well, always willing to help.   Problem with this system you always come away with more than you needed.

Forgefast from Toolstation. Torx bit supplied in every box. I’ve been using them for several years. More recently I’ve changed over to using pneumatic nail guns. Much faster and cheaper, if you ignore the cost of the guns. Stainless steel nails hold tight and don’t rust.

Forgefast from Toolstation. Torx bit supplied in every box. I’ve been using them for several years.

Been doing a fair bit of woodwork at my daughter-in-law's nurseries. We have used over a thousand screws in last week or so. In amongst the variety were some of the torx screws. Very impressed, as there was no slipping, even on 150mm screws.

I am sure that I will be derided for this, but I buy all my fasteners from UK-based eBay suppliers.

I can buy exactly what I need and have it delivered post-free in a couple of days for a lot cheaper than driving to the nearest hardware shop or DIY shed where they probably don't have exactly what I need.

On 26/09/2022 at 19:10, Dave at kelton said:

Screwfix 

+2

I had shelves in the garage full of tins with loads of differnt screws in them handy for just going out and picking what you needed

But whilst building a ferret hutch my son said i will nip along to screwfix get a box of a hundred just a few more that we need at that size and its only a couple of quid with my discount 

48 minutes ago, Jonty said:

I really rate ‘Reisen Cutter’ woodscrews - I get mine at JT Atkinsons, I’m not sure if they have a branch over your way but they’re worth a try if you can find some.

Would that be "Reisser" cutter?

On 27/09/2022 at 16:00, bigroomboy said:

Square drive screws are well known to be the best but sadly not common place in the UK and therefore expensive.

Robertson drive it's a And/Canadian thing

there are a few places around here that they have been used on. Caught me out first time when I was an apprentice in the 70s.   The only reason they were used was the B.A.D2 Yank Airbase was down the road and they were "relieved" from there during the war

On 27/09/2022 at 13:10, amateur said:

I am sure that I will be derided for this, but I buy all my fasteners from UK-based eBay suppliers.

Depends what you're doing.  General construction projects, an above-mentioned selection box of screws from Screwfix will add £15-20 to your BOM and will likely contain all you need.  If you find yourself chewing through a particular size, can always get more of that size

If you need other types of fastener such as bolts/machine screws, in small quantities, then yes I’d agree, ebay sellers will post the quantities you need for a few pounds, certainly with the cost in terms of fuel and time saved.

On 27/09/2022 at 16:00, bigroomboy said:

Square drive screws are well known to be the best

By who?  Youtubers who have been sent complimentary Kreg jigs?  

17 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Depends what you're doing.  General construction projects, an above-mentioned selection box of screws from Screwfix will add £15-20 to your BOM and will likely contain all you need.  If you find yourself chewing through a particular size, can always get more of that size

If you need other types of fastener such as bolts/machine screws, in small quantities, then yes I’d agree, ebay sellers will post the quantities you need for a few pounds, certainly with the cost in terms of fuel and time saved.

By who?  Youtubers who have been sent complimentary Kreg jigs?  

Try them. It's nothing to do with kreg using them. The taper if the square drive actually hold a screw firm on the bit to screw at maximum reach one handed. No need for magnets that never work or anything, just the best engineered solution. There are whole books an the subject of screw types and most agree.

Slotted are obsolete. Phillips is actually designed for automated assembly and possi is a poor improvement. Non of these should be in use, yet they remain the most common.

I will admit to never having heard of the square drive Kreg screws, but they do look a decent bet. Looking at them online, they do not appear to do countersunk screws - only the type with the head stuck above the surface. That would be a problem for me.

Edited by Gordon R

16 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I will admit to never having heard of the square drive Kreg screws, but they do look a decent bet. Looking at them online, they do not appear to do countersunk screws - only the type with the head stuck above the surface. That would be a problem for me.

There are "countersunk" decking screws on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202790679700?hash=item2f37443494:g:BRcAAOSwrEBgW0bc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8CbSnjuO%2Fg%2BnQheUtfXvE2FxNmyhFPpQzhS5CNo%2Bs90Wk7FGf31q%2FNZ2fyIsgjc2IR%2FQT3GTZq4S3GIgr%2BGxAXfuC7bIPC20%2BuWGdQcTV%2B%2FtYKzMrhFAmpUlQZO1SrWm5PFGPpQenRh%2BX44ww3%2F3WFO6pBU8zR4O7SzoLbgbNbXqaKZJvIb76QeJG4eDqg0jdk4huRuQ5B74oMCtPOqEV2HqBxrpZiPJ40hBNPYtCpJwJq6JF%2BX8vS%2FByAktF%2Fmo9slIXEm20sBeF3UpWYhMNQcw%2F24PizimVr%2BpTLwoyCvIRgKOXTKHO3e8qRL9jL%2F2cg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM4L_p2_Ng

40 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

If this is your requirement I find Torx far better 

I would tend to agree, Torx is pretty good at that, though I haven’t used Robertson drive screws in anger.

I’d suggest though, that if they were that good, automotive manufacturers would’ve adopted them over Torx as they’re long since off-patent. Look at any modern vehicle, however and you’ll find torx everywhere.