Cruise ships.

samboy

Hi gang.

Have just been looking at one and it can carry nearly 9000 passengers and crew. 

Who on earth wants to go on holiday with that many people it must be chaos.

I thought the idea of going on holiday was to get away from the crowds for a bit of peace and quiet.

One of my friends has just come back from a cruise and she said it was a job getting a deckchair sometimes.

Not for me i'm afraid.

I was a tad dubious being trapped on a ship with the same people for 2 weeks, and allot would depend on what cruise you go on. 

The entertainment was nothing short of amazing, the food ranged from top 5 star to a burger and chips, people watching was our most popular pastime, watched a women come away with 4 puddings on a plate and watched her scoff the lot, mind you she had a large tank to fill. (loads of that kind of thing going on)

The snobbery was at times sickening, specially when some of the guests chuck on their hired DJ's which then of course gives them the right to be rude the waiters. But we also spent dinner with some very pleasant people, the choice is there to join a shared table or not. 

The reason we went on one was to visit a load of islands and then later make decisions which ones to spend a week or 2 on, unfortunately that didn't materialise.

Still reasonably young (under 50) and have done a few Disney cruise and just this summer a cruise with carnival. 

The ships are big enough to handle the load in people, they are designed to handle that number, they are ideal if you want to see thing with ease.  Eg - we done an 11 day cruise round the Med, seen the leaning tower of Pisa, when you’ve seen it, you’ve seen it, I don’t need to look at it for 2 weeks. 

This summer went to the Cayman Islands, again had a tour for a day and I’ve been. I’d probably be bored there for more than a day or two…..

Food is quality, drink is top brands and if you buy the drinks package there is no need to worry. 

I’d not do one every year, maybe every 4 or 5 to see different places round the world. I’m also not a people person…. 

Edited by markm

13 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I thought the idea of going on holiday was to get away from the crowds for a bit of peace and quiet.

One of my friends has just come back from a cruise and she said it was a job getting a deckchair sometimes.

Not for me i'm afraid.

Are you asking about cruises or telling what they're like.?  It's all heresay.   I used to say Nahh not for me... before I'd been But  I've been on two and they been briliant. We did the Red Sea.  Flew to Sharm el Sheikh And then on the boat up to Aqaba in Jordan.   Not English but very interesting and picturesque.   Then a day at sea round the Sinai and on to Cairo and the Pyramids etc then sail two days down to Hurgada and then 14 hour trip across the desert in a convoy of coaches with loads of hilux's full of armed troops to the temple at Karnak and across the Nile to the valley of the kings and the royal tombs.  then back up to Sharm el Sheihk for a week in a top hotel before coming home.  The other cruise was a two week back to back cruise out of Thessaloniki in Greece.   This covered the Greek islands and Turkey.  There's so much to write about and what we did and say that I'd on here for a month but what has been written by the two previous posts is all true.  It isn't for everyone and you have to research the comments from a lot of people who have been recently than make a decision of hearsay. 

Whilst I was typing you posted....

1 minute ago, samboy said:

I've nothing against cruises as i was in the Merchant Navy and worked on cruise ships.

It's just that i would not want to be on a boat with 9000 people on it.

If you don't want it don't go on one but why tell us.? I don't suppose many on here care one way or the other.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I would not like the big cruise ships but the one I see going around the fiords looks nice and you get to stop off more, I remember going on my dad's ship as a nipper, phew it was huge,  🤔😁

You are correct. The ships around Norway to go on are the Hurtigruton, a ship leaves Bergen everyday of the year and sails up through the artic circle eventually turning around at Kirkenes on the Russian  border, kids get on the ships to go to school at the next port along the voyage, farmers get on with chickens stuffed under their arms etc. The tourist ships are too large to get up the smaller more spectacular ffiords. Todays cruise ships are just floating hotels for the masses and very different from to yesteryears  offerings. You can still book on cargo ships, they usually have 3 or 4 cabins but you need to be very flexable with dates as they are cargo ships, you get to eat with the ships officers every night, these ships tend to stick around more lived in docking areas but are very different.. from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

5 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

You are correct. The ships around Norway to go on are the Hurtigruton, a ship leaves Bergen everyday of the year and sails up through the artic circle eventually turning around at Kirkenes on the Russian  border, kids get on the ships to go to school at the next port along the voyage, farmers get on with chickens stuffed under their arms etc. The tourist ships are too large to get up the smaller more spectacular ffiords. Todays cruise ships are just floating hotels for the masses and very different from to yesteryears  offerings. You can still book on cargo ships, they usually have 3 or 4 cabins but you need to be very flexable with dates as they are cargo ships, you get to eat with the ships officers every night, these ships tend to stick around more lived in docking areas but are very different.. from Auntie.

Hello,thankyou for your post,  unfortunately it is most unlikely I shall be able to do any travel now, 

Did 12 years cruising the oceans and seas for her majesty and that was plenty for me. Force 12 to mirror calm, well in the Arctic to the Falklands and Sri Lanka to Mobile, even managed 22 countries in 24 months. 

Regarding contamination; if it's kept clean you shouldn't have any problems, boy did we keep it clean!

There is a current of random ideas flowing about what cruises are like.  Until you have seen one up close and actually been on one, you ain't got any idea of the size and operation of one. Not all boats are the size of the BIG ONES.  The BIG ONES are not just BIG, they are MASSIVE.  The food is on an industrial scale BUT there is so much space that you aren't in a school canteen.  You aren't herded along on trips,  if you want to go, great, if you want to do your own thing that's fine. The only thing is that you have to make sure that you are back on board well before sailing because they won't wait forever.  If they weren't good they wouldn't exist.  On the other side there are exclusive boats that cater for the more exclusive BUT how much do you want to pay.?  And you can go off on your own and explore but plan it out WELL.

Not for me - my wife gets seasick on Lake Windermere. That said we have friends who do a cruise every year - they are in the West indies as I post. Another couple of friends go on cruises six months out of every year. Retired, with no kids and little else to do. They love them. Each to his / her own.

On 31/10/2022 at 20:24, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Not for me i'm afraid.

So how many lifeboats do 9000 people need?