When is it time to say good bye?

lister1

I have two dogs, the eldest is nearly 14. She is definitely showing her age and has had a couple of issues, one being a lump on her chest and the other a hormonal in-balance which causes her to bleed, though this has stopped recently. 

They are outside dogs, they have a run.

but recently when I’ve let them out the oldest just seems to not bother, in fact she will often stay in her bed. But when she does come out for a play she is happy and has potter about. 

more worryingly she has lost some weight recently, I feed both dogs the same and the other dogs weight is constant.

She did wee in her bed also, which she has never done before.

I don’t want to have her put down just because she’s old but also I can’t sit and watch her waste away.

Thoughts? 

this is the worst part of having dogs  you are asking us for advice but none of us can give you the answer you are hoping for some of us have had our companions put to sleep a bit to early some to long the real answer is none of us know it has to be your own feelings that make that decision because it is you that lives with it   i personally kept my lab a bit to long  and i dont regret it but my wife and daughter do  whatever you end up doing  go by your gut feeling and think of your dog  when the bad days outweigh the good ones thats the time .  

I think the operative word in your question is "happy".
An older dog can have physical limitations but still enjoy life, even if that just amounts to going shorter walks with you and lying around watching the world go by.

But if she stops eating and refuses to go walks and generally looks miserable, it's probably time.

When the time came for my last dog I had the vet come to the house and would recommend that as better for the dog and you.
As I recall it was not extravagantly expensive, maybe around £100, and some insurance policies will cover for that - I think mine did.

Don't people mention the three "W"s, if the dog still enjoys its Walk, Wags its tail and Wolfs its food, it should be OK, when one of those goes its time to assess the situation. 

As an aside many years later it still bugs me that it was not me that took the family dog on his last journey. I had said that i would but had gone back to Uni fully expecting to do the sad deed a few weeks later (i was the dog's alpha 2), i left it too late, just glad Mam and my brother were there, so for your own piece of mind, don't leave it too late. 

I think you may have a little time to prepare yourself for the end, but ultimately I think just asking the question is telling you the end is probably quite near. 

Have you investigated what the lump is on the dogs chest? A big lump, weight loss and a general malaise can be red flags for cancer in older dogs

As said above don’t leave it too late. I did and it was heartbreaking when I had to make the decision. I think you know the answer having asked the question. 

Recently made this decision with a dog a little younger who was exhibiting similar signs  Into the vets and sitting on the floor with him until the end. The least we owe them is that love and loyalty for all they have given us.

8 hours ago, old'un said:

Have you taken her to the vets for a check-up?

Yep, she’s had a check up every year and they’ve looked at the lump. They did offer to investigate/surgery but at 14 yrs there’s no guarantee that she will survive the anaesthetic. 

It’s difficult letting them go but more difficult to watch them wither away.

I’ll keep an eye on her but I think this may be her last Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

The least we owe them is that love and loyalty for all they have given us.

She’s been a cracking mutt, her nose was awesome at her peak. She has flushed and retrieved all manner of things, partridge, pheasant, golden plover, pigeon, hare, rabbit, fox, duck, woodcock, snipe, even moorhen. I have even tracked deer with her on the odd occasion when a friend had a runner and couldn’t find a lost roe. 

She is on a mongrel, Weimaraner cross Springer, cost me £150 including hand, worm & flea treatment, but we went out shooting all day every Saturday for years.

And that is what makes it so hard to say goodbye, they really are a friend. 

She’s not even had any major health issues till lately. 

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Sad of course, but if and when you decide to end her misery/pain etc, you will know you will have done the right thing. In the meantime, read the poem 'The Last Battle'.

It’s a very good poem, and gives good reason for the decision we make. 

19 hours ago, serrac said:

I think the operative word in your question is "happy".
An older dog can have physical limitations but still enjoy life, even if that just amounts to going shorter walks with you and lying around watching the world go by.

But if she stops eating and refuses to go walks and generally looks miserable, it's probably time.

When the time came for my last dog I had the vet come to the house and would recommend that as better for the dog and you.
As I recall it was not extravagantly expensive, maybe around £100, and some insurance policies will cover for that - I think mine did.

This is good advice. 

I'd add that, you should definitely take the dog to a vet for an examination and I'd also have a dog of that age in the house unless you have proper heated kennels. 

14 hours ago, lister1 said:

Yep, she’s had a check up every year and they’ve looked at the lump. They did offer to investigate/surgery but at 14 yrs there’s no guarantee that she will survive the anaesthetic. 

It’s difficult letting them go but more difficult to watch them wither away.

I’ll keep an eye on her but I think this may be her last Christmas. 

Missed this reply and I wouldn't have a dog that age messed about either. 

Id say it definitely comes down to the dog having more good days than bad ones. 

On 08/12/2022 at 19:49, lister1 said:

She’s been a cracking mutt, her nose was awesome at her peak. She has flushed and retrieved all manner of things, partridge, pheasant, golden plover, pigeon, hare, rabbit, fox, duck, woodcock, snipe, even moorhen. I have even tracked deer with her on the odd occasion when a friend had a runner and couldn’t find a lost roe. 

She is on a mongrel, Weimaraner cross Springer, cost me £150 including hand, worm & flea treatment, but we went out shooting all day every Saturday for years.

And that is what makes it so hard to say goodbye, they really are a friend. 

She’s not even had any major health issues till lately. 

Is it Teasel 🤔 sorry to hear you are going through that 😢 

5 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Is it Teasel 🤔 sorry to hear you are going through that 😢 

Hi Harrycat1, good to hear from you. It’s not Teasel, though she’s 10 now, doesn’t get out much but I take her out when I can. It’s Poppy, I’m have issues with.

how’s your dog now? Must be getting on.

Are you a member of SLWC? 

needless to say they are both enjoying the frosty weather, I think my pair love the cold. 

Edited by lister1

10 hours ago, lister1 said:

Hi Harrycat1, good to hear from you. It’s not Teasel, though she’s 10 now, doesn’t get out much but I take her out when I can. It’s Poppy, I’m have issues with.

how’s your dog now? Must be getting on.

Are you a member of SLWC? 

needless to say they are both enjoying the frosty weather, I think my pair love the cold. 

Ping pong went over the rainbow bridge 16 months ago, still miss her. She was nearly 16 though.

I've not joined any wildfowling clubs this season, I have angina and thought it best to scale back a bit. I think the start of it was once we were out on the marsh and it was so cold I couldn't get my breath and my chest was tight and had to go back to the car and left you. I didn't realise at the time what it was but it was the start of it. I used to love our trips out 👍

Sorry to hear about Poppy but it's the end bit of a dogs life that is the hardest 😢 take it easy pal.

Our last dogs were two Akitas. Both were aged within 6 months of each other. The younger, which was 11, became reluctant to go for a walk and appeared a bit listless. We hung on for perhaps a year too long, when the older one similarly became listless and reluctant to walk. A mate's cousin owned a veterinary practice  and I took them to him. After discussing them with he he was rather brutal about it and said that both needed putting down and that I had waited too long with the bitch. I was feeling bad enough already and didn't appreciate his words at the time. Later I accepted that he had been totally honest with me. It wasn't a commercial decision he made, as it cost me nothing.

I regretted not doing the right thing earlier.

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Our last dogs were two Akitas. Both were aged within 6 months of each other. The younger, which was 11, became reluctant to go for a walk and appeared a bit listless. We hung on for perhaps a year too long, when the older one similarly became listless and reluctant to walk. A mate's cousin owned a veterinary practice  and I took them to him. After discussing them with he he was rather brutal about it and said that both needed putting down and that I had waited too long with the bitch. I was feeling bad enough already and didn't appreciate his words at the time. Later I accepted that he had been totally honest with me. It wasn't a commercial decision he made, as it cost me nothing.

I regretted not doing the right thing earlier.

I think your being too hard on yourself. We've probably all been there and you shouldn't blame yourself for trying to do the right thing by your dogs, even if you had left it a little late.

All sound advice. 

On 11/12/2022 at 09:59, harrycatcat1 said:

Ping pong went over the rainbow bridge 16 months ago, still miss her. She was nearly 16 though.

I've not joined any wildfowling clubs this season, I have angina and thought it best to scale back a bit. I think the start of it was once we were out on the marsh and it was so cold I couldn't get my breath and my chest was tight and had to go back to the car and left you. I didn't realise at the time what it was but it was the start of it. I used to love our trips out 👍

Sorry to hear about Poppy but it's the end bit of a dogs life that is the hardest 😢 take it easy pal.

16 is a very good age. She was certainly a character.

I remember you being unwell on that day now that you mention it.

I have been a member for a couple of years now but hope to rejoin now I’m on top of work and getting my house sorted.

Just a little update.

Poppy is doing well but we’re taking it day by day.

She’s happy plodding about the field out the back and eating well.

we have a rat in the garden, under the shed, which is also keeping her entertained.

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried having her in the house, as I thought she would be more comfortable but she gets too hot and unsettled. I have tried her in the house before and she has never really been happy in the house. 
I think they get used to the conditions the live in.