Different types Vegetarians

30-6

I didn't realize Vegetarians were split into several groupings. Some eat fish some do not.

If they think shooting is cruel, they should Google trawler fishing. Watching a you tube clip last night, don't know what part of world it was, trawler had a 50 ton ( hard to believe ), haul of redfish in one net. Bit squashed if you were in the middle I bet.

5 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

I didn't realize Vegetarians were split into several groupings. Some eat fish some do not.

Indeed they are - and some are strictly 'plant' matter only (Vegans), not even taking dairy products (which are not killing anything), and some eat dairy, some dairy and eggs, some dairy, eggs and fish etc.  It is all very complex (I have two quite different variations of vegetarian as well as one 'normal meat eater in my nieces).

It is also often for different reasons other than 'cruelty'.  I know two who were 'non red meat' eaters, but poultry etc were OK .......... that is based in the medical belief that certain conditions - notably auto immune conditions like arthritis - are made worse by red meat.  I used to shoot with someone who was vegetarian and interesting never found out why he was vegetarian (he did quite a bit of game shooting and shot well).  Always a problem at shoot meals which tended to be meat based.  Some religious forbid particular foods (e.g. pork) and also demand certain handling and slaughter rituals are followed.  Orthodox Jews need food prepared in particular ways (Kosher) as do Muslims (Halal).  Hindus are usually vegetarian (often fully vegan) and never eat beef/cow products.  However they will drink milk and often use dairy products in cooking.

There are some medical conditions which mean that protein intake needs to be v low phenylketonuria (PKU) being one. I also have a friend who only eats shot meat and game and rod caught fish. I also know one person who is a vegan, but does eat cleanly shot venison, stating its the ultimate in humane organic meat! 

Edited by Aled

2 hours ago, Aled said:

There are some medical conditions which mean that protein intake needs to be v low phenylketonuria (PKU) being one. I also have a friend who only eats shot meat and game and rod caught fish. I also know one person who is a vegan, but does eat cleanly shot venison, stating its the ultimate in humane organic meat! 

That would be my choice if achievable too.

8 minutes ago, fern01 said:

Perhaps someone, a vegetarian perhaps, could explain why the want the plant based food to look like meat products, burgers etc.

Why not just have a plate of nice plate of well presented vegetables

Not only look like meat products but also taste like meat.

4 hours ago, 30-6 said:

If they think shooting is cruel, they should Google trawler fishing. Watching a you tube clip last night, don't know what part of world it was, trawler had a 50 ton ( hard to believe ), haul of redfish in one net. Bit squashed if you were in the middle I bet.

Not all vegetarians are vegetarians because they are 'anti cruelty' Hindus do it because its a part of their religion.

My friend is a veggie because he doesn't like the taste or texture of meat.

Others do it as a healthy option for their diet.

I'm 66 10/12ths and have not eaten red meat since I was about 5

chicken, fish, crispy duck, shellfish no problem at all

i wouldn't touch anything made to look taste and smell like something it isn't. If you want to have the taste and texture of chicken then eat some chicken. Friend of the wife's is a vegan and loves telling everyone at every opportunity, like most vegans. Also won't touch eggs. Drives a Beemer with leather seats and powered by dead dinosaurs !  Absolute pain in the Harris. It's funny when she forgets her commitment to the cause though 😂

Many years ago my nephew was stationed in Cyprus with the RAF, myself, wife, sister and brother-in-law went over to see him.

My brother-in-law and fellow shooter ( now sadly died ), went out to a restaurant while the women done their thing. He paid and treated me to a local delicacy, can't remember the name of it, where you have about 20 small portions of either meat or fish or half and half. We had the half and half and if I remember correctly there was what looked like a John Dory in the middle.

Can't imagine not eating meat or fish.

7 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

He paid and treated me to a local delicacy, can't remember the name of it, where you have about 20 small portions of either meat or fish or half and half. 

Can't imagine not eating meat or fish.

Meze.

I would also struggle with not eating meat or fish. It's a massive part of my diet and I eat more protein rather than carbs which keeps me in good shape. All our meat and fish is wild (apart from bacon!). I have harvested it myself in an ethical manner, so loose no sleep on that front. Keeps my wife happy as well who would be vegetarian if our only option was supermarket meat. 

4 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Not all vegetarians or even vegans are anti country sports. Probably the vast majority are but there are exceptions, we have a young lady who beats on a shoot, in fact she shoots game herself very regularly, and she is vegan. 

🤔 Doesn’t that fly in the face of everything to do with veganism? 

Just now, Scully said:

🤔 Doesn’t that fly in the face of everything to do with veganism? 

Maybe, I should maybe say she has a strictly vegan diet, but morally is obviously not vegan. She gets ribbed about it a lot in the beaters trailer of course, she says it started as a health thing and now has become a habit, for her it is purely about diet, not ethics. 

2 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Maybe, I should maybe say she has a strictly vegan diet, but morally is obviously not vegan. She gets ribbed about it a lot in the beaters trailer of course, she says it started as a health thing and now has become a habit, for her it is purely about diet, not ethics. 

Veganism isn’t just diet though, as I’m sure you know, it also includes not using animal derivatives in any way, including wool and leather. 
I just can’t see how she can claim to be a vegan whilst killing living creatures? 🤷‍♂️

My wife didn’t eat meat when we first got together. She wanted to know how her meat was raised/lived and the manner in which it was killed.

She now eats game that I shoot and sheep that we raise and have killed at a butchers just down the road. 

I guess there many reasons why people choose to eat what they do.

Well I'll come clean and say I don't eat meat!

It's a diet choice for medical reasons, nothing ethical.

I eat fish, foods with meat extracts in, roast tatties done in duck fat, that sort of thing I just can't eat meat. 

I suffered terrible acid reflux and stomach ulcers for years until I stopped eating red meat, then gave up fowl as well and my health improved no end.

I've also had my gall bladder out and that makes digesting anything fatty a problem.

So for my diet it's easier to tell people I'm a vegetarian rather than explain it all,  I suspect there are many others like me.

I'd love to eat something I'd shot but it'd give me a terrible stomach for days (as I know to my cost).

Probably thirty years since I had regular meat in my diet but I'm still a fat ******.

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Probably thirty years since I had regular meat in my diet but I'm still a fat ******.

Because of, not in spite of (!), assuming you fill yourself with carbohydrates rather than green vegetables.

We get mixed health messages about eating meat from the experts and it is somewhat coloured with, and pushed by environmental concerns. Meat does increase cardiovascular and cancer risk, but in my opinion (professional and personal), if it helps you keep the weight off and avoid diabetes, a huge cardiovascular risk, and build muscle, that is a good thing. That said, I avoid processed meats as they are the worst of all worlds.

Interestingly some of  the worse conversations I've had regarding harvesting wild meat have been with omnivores who would quite happily eat a Tesco chicken, but would turn their nose up at wild rabbit or duck...my Mam being one! I've met vegetarians who have said "if you take responsibility for killing it, preparing it then eating that's fair enough"

Cheers. Aled