Shot Goshawks found dumped in Suffolk

Shufti

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you would think that anyone shooting goshawks would bury them so deep as not to ever see the light of day again................

did someone just happen to be walking thro' the forest and come across a pile of goshawks...like you do ....

i am always suspiceous of storeies like these

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you would think that anyone shooting goshawks would bury them so deep as not to ever see the light of day again................

did someone just happen to be walking thro' the forest and come across a pile of goshawks...like you do ....

These things happen and there might be more to the story than meets the eye , but we cannot get away from the fact that these birds were shot , each case brought to light you think this will be the last , but it isn't and for everyone caught there are no doubt many more who are not .

Only in the E D P today it is reported that the police seized 100s if 1000s of bird eggs with many of the birds on the danger list , this strangely enough was also in Suffolk :hmm:

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Given the relative rarity of Goshawks one would be hard pressed to find 5 in one patch of forest to shoot.   Smacks of WJ setup for publicity.

23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Whoever shot these needs to be caught.  It reflects badly on the shooting community as a whole.

I worded my post above carefully because I agree with the suspicion, but whoever shot them is the relevant part.

I have never seen 5 goshawks in my life.  They are not common, certainly round here.

14 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Given the relative rarity of Goshawks one would be hard pressed to find 5 in one patch of forest to shoot.  

I could show you more than that in the forests near me (as long as you swore to tell no one where as we have enough idiots in roads trying to get themselves run over). A very good friend of mine in a bird protection organisation is very pro the shooting world and gamekeepers in general because of the increase in the bird of prey population in my area. He told me a classic quote from a local keeper a couple of years ago was '20 years ago I would have been sacked for having this many Goshawks around, today I would be sacked if I shot one'. So things have changed for the better but as usual some idiots just cannot help themselves.

Whilst I take on board the possibility of a set up, it was not very long ago that a shot buzzard was hung up in a tree by a young 'keeper'? who was successfully prosecuted.

If you want real stupidity then this is a classic. A reasonably local estate to me rung up a bird protection organisation and asked them if they wanted their tracker back from a bird of prey that had been found dead. Yes, of course, replied the organisation and can we have the body for a post mortem. The estate replied that the body had been incinerated because it was rotten. The organisation replied that that was strange as it had been tracked flying around the day before!

So whilst things have improved without doubt we still have too many of these incidents every year from amongst shooting folk who should know better. 

Goshawks are to be found in numbers in East Anglia if you know where to look. Poking through the accounts, it seems they were all young birds so were possibly shot adjacent to one or more nest sites, or possibly at a communal roost, rather than on five separate occasions. DNA checks might show if some or all are related.

It may be tempting to blame "antis" but get real : this was done by someone with time, skills, and unfettered access to wherever the crime took place. Dumping the bodies was surely an act of defiance to the world I suppose, by a perpetrator with some sort of metal health issues ?  Hard to understand any of this.

7 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

it's quite easy to find 5 goshawks in one wood here in Wales if they was young as described it could have been the same clutch but looking at the shot pattern in that xray not one peice of that shot would have killed that goss 

My thoughts and observations too !

Having had first hand experience of some of the RSPB tactics, I shall remain sceptical about this one....for now

Edited by Westley

The following passage from the report does not suggest to me that a wayward keeper, for instance has shot these birds and then put them in the freezer. So who or what organisation would freeze so many birds?

Anyone committing that offence would get rid of the evidence surely.

Mr Thomas, head of investigations at the RSPB, said the dead birds were "fully-grown juveniles", which they believe hatched only last summer.

He said it was highly unusual to see several goshawks together, apart from close to a nest in the summer months, leading to speculation the dead birds may have been kept in frozen storage.

Edited by Good shot?