Shot Goshawks found dumped in Suffolk

Shufti

Whoever did this and whether or not there's a "rat" it makes me sad.

There's been a female goshawk who visits some of the farms I shoot in south Cambs over the last 5-6 years and she is magnificent. I probably only see her about once or twice a year, but I'll remember the day she landed in my decoys and started poking around, trying to work out if they were food, until I go to my grave. As I said - magnificent birds.

I hope they catch whatever ****** is responsible.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fishier than a fishmongers fingers.

I did see some supposed Xrays of one of the shot birds. All of the pellets are just below the skin of the wings and legs and not a single bone fracture to suggest the pellets had passed through from the other side. Almost as if the pellets had been placed there and not shot.

While It seems unlikely I would not discount some loon (or loons) with a 'means justify the end' attitude setting this up. The birds all looked in good condition and its very unlikely that you'd be able to see 5 of them in the same day nevermind shooting 5 in the same day. Too good a condition to be a collection of birds shot over a week or few weeks.

That being said I wouldn't discount some reckless fool shooting them thinking that their doing right for their shoot either.

Very disappointing either way.

We tried to interduce Red Kites a few years ago on the Norfolk / Suffolk border , it was a rarity when we saw one and also a privilege , we thought they were an endangered species until someone sent me a photo of a cloud of Red Kites feeding on one field , so some areas have a lot more certain b o p than others , we are not short of Goshawks and every year they set up a video of a pair that nest on the spire on Norwich cathedral , after two or three cases over the last few years of illegal killing of b o p in Norfolk , then nothing would surprise me if this was carried out by someone who hold a grudge with these magnificent birds .

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

According to this https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/appeal-after-five-birds-prey-shot-dead-west-suffolk

they were found in a public parking area, so bound to be found.

Exactly this found in a car park i know i will shoot 5 Goshawks and hide them in a car park so no one will find them 

Good post by Conor O'Gorman (BASC) some very good points raised.

Why would someone shoot five goshawks and then bring them to an area that looks very well used by the public and dump them in the car park?

Don't know the woodland but looking on Google maps I would think its well walked by the public, does anyone know if any part of the woodland is used for shooting?

I read that the birds were in a plastic bag but the photo shows them scattered on the woodland floor, I presume by the police or who ever found them, so any possible DNA as now been contaminated.

This stinks to high heaven of a setup.

goshawk.jpg

39 minutes ago, old'un said:

Good post by Conor O'Gorman (BASC) some very good points raised.

Why would someone shoot five goshawks and then bring them to an area that looks very well used by the public and dump them in the car park?

Don't know the woodland but looking on Google maps I would think its well walked by the public, does anyone know if any part of the woodland is used for shooting?

I read that the birds were in a plastic bag but the photo shows them scattered on the woodland floor, I presume by the police or who ever found them, so any possible DNA as now been contaminated.

This stinks to high heaven of a setup.

goshawk.jpg

They all look too perfectly folded - like they’ve been frozen perhaps. I wonder if they’ve been captive and died somehow, and frozen for taxidermy, then shot for a set up…..? Also the X-rayed bird showed non lethal shot placement - curious. So many questions and possibilities, so few answers. The only sure thing I can glean is that it screams ‘stitch up’. 

Odd that Suffolk Police have not engaged with BASC….?!

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

They all look too perfectly folded - like they’ve been frozen perhaps. I wonder if they’ve been captive and died somehow, and frozen for taxidermy, then shot for a set up…..? Also the X-rayed bird showed non lethal shot placement - curious. So many questions and possibilities, so few answers. The only sure thing I can glean is that it screams ‘stitch up’. 

Odd that Suffolk Police have not engaged with BASC….?!

yep, I would not put it past some of the antis to catch BOP and do setups like this, posted this some time ago and it looks so not right, possible anti collecting BOP for such a setup???….https://www.birdguides.com/news/goshawk-trapped-in-suspected-persecution-case-on-norfolk-estate/

18 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Excellent!

19 hours ago, marsh man said:

We tried to interduce Red Kites a few years ago on the Norfolk / Suffolk border , it was a rarity when we saw one and also a privilege , we thought they were an endangered species until someone sent me a photo of a cloud of Red Kites feeding on one field , so some areas have a lot more certain b o p than others , we are not short of Goshawks and every year they set up a video of a pair that nest on the spire on Norwich cathedral , after two or three cases over the last few years of illegal killing of b o p in Norfolk , then nothing would surprise me if this was carried out by someone who hold a grudge with these magnificent birds .

Maybe Peregrines on the Cathedral?