FRUSTRATION AT DOCTORS

DUNKS

Daughter in law phoned doctors surgery for an appointment as her 12year old had suddenly come down with a fever and very sore throat. Sorry says receptionist we do not have any appointments, try 111

This she does and is told they will make her a telephone appointment with a local doctor. Doctor phones within a couple of hours and is the doctor from her own surgery. Doctor says yes it's vital she see a doctor ASAP. Can we see you? No I am a doctor but I dont have the appointment book! Phone reception.

She does and is again told sorry we do not have any appointments. TRY 111

CRAZY OR NOT.

Edited by DUNKS

I think we all know that the doctors are very over subscribed now. The receptionists at my practice have had 'training' so you now have to tell them what medical condition you are asking for an appointment for. That smacks of the blind leading the blind to me. I rarely have to see a doctor but following an operation I developed a nasty eye infection. I was referred to a chemist by a receptionist, went to the chemist who promptly rang the surgery and told them in no uncertain terms that I needed to see a doctor. Lo and behold a doctor was able to see me shortly afterwards. A complete waste of everyone's time, clearly part of their training is not to take note that folk who ring rarely probably having more need than folk who ring everyday because they have a sniffle.

I think that possibly our NHS system has unwittingly created its own dependency and a sickening population rather than a tough one.

i have experienced exactly that............whats really hacks me off is that i have paid every week/mth into NHS for all my life ...and this is how im treated...........DONT EVEN ASK ME ABOUT DENTISTS :mad:

before covid my surgery was fairly good i could get in to see them on the day.........they seem to have used covid as an excuse to do less.........its got to the stage if i saw a doctor on the side of the road i would even stop the **** on them to put the fire out..........doctors ...dentists...and vets...need to be viewed down iron sights

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have experienced exactly that............whats really hacks me off is that i have paid every week/mth into NHS for all my life ...and this is how im treated...........DONT EVEN ASK ME ABOUT DENTISTS :mad:

before covid my surgery was fairly good i could get in to see them on the day.........they seem to have used covid as an excuse to do less.........its got to the stage if i saw a doctor on the side of the road i would even stop the **** on them to put the fire out..........doctors ...dentists...and vets...need to be viewed down iron sights

Mum was ill a year ago and the service she received was diabolical. She eventually passed but it was a 6 month nightmare for myself and my brother providing 24 hour care and both trying to run our jobs too.

It left me with a very bitter view of GPs and the NHS in general.

Since November I have been diagnosed with cancer myself and I have to say that the GP and any other NHS service I have called upon have been faultless both in speed and how they have looked after me.

My biggest regret is that Mum didn't have a bit more of the care I have received as I can cope without but Mum needed it.

My best friend who was more like a brother to me died well before his time, most likely due to negligence on behalf of the NHS, something I'll never forgive or forget. 

The thing is, like ditchy says, we've all paid for it and now it's not there for us and our loved ones. 

If you work, you'd probably be far better off if you could cancel your NHS contributions and go private, but of course your not allowed to do that, at least we can all take solace in the fact we've put our money towards a boat load of economic migrants medical care and hotel stays, drug addicts methodone and some bloke becoming a women 👌

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

My best friend who was more like a brother to me died well before his time, most likely due to negligence on behalf of the NHS, something I'll never forgive or forget. 

The thing is, like ditchy says, we've all paid for it and now it's not there for us and our loved ones. 

If you work, you'd probably be far better off if you could cancel your NHS contributions and go private, but of course your not allowed to do that, at least we can all take solace in the fact we've put our money towards a boat load of economic migrants medical care and hotel stays, drug addicts methodone and some bloke becoming a women 👌

I hate to say this but you seem to be right.a

Our doctors are very difficult to see. All receptionists have signed confidentially agreements so I feel really reassured? It's a Foxtrot shambles.

Sounds pretty bad over there. My father in law was literally dying and couldn't get to see a GP. My wife and his daughter (who happens to be a GP here in NZ), pushed and pushed until he got seen, got relevant scans and treatment. He is on the mend now, but what a sorry state of affairs.    

People say that my doctors surgery practice is rubbish but I have had no issues at all.  In June I had an operation to repair a snapped Achilles tendon.  Afterwards I  developed an infection and my daughter who is a lead nurse looked at it and took the opinion that it was infected, (redness )  she took pictures with her phone and sent them with text about the situation.  Within half an hour I received a msg on my NHS app and a phone call from a doctor at the practice informing me that Antibiotics are available to collect from the dispensary   (as of now).   I was told to ask reception for a blood test via phone and got an appointment for a couple of days time.  A couple of days later I received a phone call from one of the doctors about the test results. I can't complain about any NHS treatment that I have been given. I don't think that all  treatment is equal.   But apparently things are just as bad if not worse in France and Germany who spend a ton more on their healthcare systems.

Well, we call our surgery the A Team. They will always go that extra mile. There is little doubt Docturs surgeries are under pressure from above. I have a hip problem and rang for an appoinment explaining it was not urgent. My normal Dr at the surgery was end of Feb but one of the other members could see me in 14 days.  I know from tslking with my Dr that I could be seen tomorrow if urgent as he said if they get a call from us they know it is what it is. My wife was talking to a surgery nurse who said they had over 30 cancellations or no shows at their surgeries in one day and that is where the trouble lies in my view.  Another nurse took a family member into a local Aand E and spoke with another woman who said she was there for eye drops which you can buy fromthe chemists shop.  Only when such are subject to a financial penalty will things get sorted.

Edited by Walker570

My doctors practice is a joke I can never get an appointment all I got was phone 111 or go to a&e if I had my way I would make my doctors close and make them work in a walk in clinic in a hospital  as far as I can see they are still hiding behind covid it seems like no one allowed in video appointments only that’s if you can get one 😡😡😡😡

At my doctors it is pretty much impossible to get through on the phone Mondays and Tuesdays even though it has a stacking system.

When I eventually got through late on the Tuesday afternoon the the receptionist told me to 'ring back in the morning' Grrrrrrr

14 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Sounds pretty bad over there. My father in law was literally dying and couldn't get to see a GP. My wife and his daughter (who happens to be a GP here in NZ), pushed and pushed until he got seen, got relevant scans and treatment. He is on the mend now, but what a sorry state of affairs.    

Maybe the problem here is the way people now think that the NHS has responsibility fo everything related to personal health, even the odd aspirin for free? The system is now blocked?

Edited by old man

Pre-Covid, I needed a doctor. I was passing out with pain from a hernia.
I was fobbed off when I phoned for an appointment. 
So I went to the surgery and told the receptionist I needed to see a doctor. 
She repeated there were no appointments. 
I told her she was not listening to me, I didn’t want a appointment, I need to see a doctor. I had to repeat this twice for her, but he still kept on about no appointments. 
So I told her I will just sit here then and wait until a doctor can see me.

I was seen within ten minutes and immediately referred for an operation.

2 hours ago, old man said:

Maybe the problem here is the way people now think that the NHS has responsibility fo everything related to personal health, even the odd aspirin for free? The system is now blocked?

They stopped prescribing the sort meds you can get from Tesco for a few pence several years ago.

Round here the surgery seems to have a priority system in place. It seems you get near the top if you're really old or a young child or, like me, being treated for cancer. The surgery will give my D-I-L a next day appointment for our grandson and I can always get an appointment for my hormone implant, but my wife has simply given up trying to see a doctor even though she needs an examination and probably a scan on a damaged ankle. Factor in that the doctors here do 9-5, work from home 2 or 3 days a week and that the surgery is closed on weekends and it's easy to see why people call an ambulance for anything more than a headache.

Surgeries are paid according to the number of patients they have on their books not the number of patients that they see per day/week/year.

It used to be £160 per patient per year, I don't know what it is now, almost certainly more now.

If the payment system was turned on its head and they got paid per appointment instead the service would be revolutionised at a stroke.

How many inactive patients remain on surgery books years after they move away or die? Does anyone ever audit their records? The surgeries have no incentive to do so.

I bet my mother's carer Katie is still on our local surgery's books even though she went back to Hungary two years ago. And they are still getting paid for her.

There must be thousands like Katie in the system. 

46 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Surgeries are paid according to the number of patients they have on their books not the number of patients that they see per day/week/year.

It used to be £160 per patient per year, I don't know what it is now, almost certainly more now.

If the payment system was turned on its head and they got paid per appointment instead the service would be revolutionised at a stroke.

How many inactive patients remain on surgery books years after they move away or die? Does anyone ever audit their records? The surgeries have no incentive to do so.

I bet my mother's carer Katie is still on our local surgery's books even though she went back to Hungary two years ago. And they are still getting paid for her.

There must be thousands like Katie in the system. 

That's one problem in a nut shell, easy to fix if you want to. Another is the silly appointments that are missed a £10 pound charge to make an appointment would solve that too.

9 hours ago, old man said:

That's definitely part of it I'm afraid. People bitch and moan about the care provided by the public health sector, yet fail to take responsibility for the effects that their smoking and obesity have on their health. I can assure you, we have the same issues here. 

9 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

That's definitely part of it I'm afraid. People bitch and moan about the care provided by the public health sector, yet fail to take responsibility for the effects that their smoking and obesity have on their health. I can assure you, we have the same issues here. 

You can add drinking and drug abuse to that list