Cold Water Swimming

SuperGoose75

Around 15 years ago I used to work ridiculous hours 6 days a week. Plasterer by trade but when I got fed up looking at walls and ceilings I would alternate between plastering and concreting. I always treated the work like going to the gym and also watched my diet. Around the time I was in serious shape a ripped 12 and a 1/2 stone and very fit.  

Back then I had a real urge to enter the sea (I honestly dont know why) but I just had to get in for a swim. I remember an early march evening when I was diving off a local platform beside a slipway when a guy I knew from the RNLI  came up to me and said- I knew it had to be somebody mad.! He told me they had been in training in wetsuits the pevious evening and it was baltic..and here I was in a pair of shorts.

Fast forward to the present day and  cold water swimming is all the rage. I was in town this morning and saw people on various parts of the coast getting ready to go swimming at high tide. I went for a walk around a coastal trail after I had my bits and bobs done and it took me to the slipway that I aforementioned . There was a large group of mostly elderly ladies preparing to enter the water.  And in they went swimming about and doing exercises whilst standing shoulder deep in the water.

Now I can stick a lot of cold, but the positive urge to enter the cold sea has long gone. However I have been suffering with bad anxiety this past few years after being hit very hard with covid. Apparently this coldwater swimming is a great way of combating stress and anxiety.  It is something I am serious about getting back into in the coming weeks and my wife has bought me a dry-robe for Christmas.

So have we any cold water or wild swimmers on PW..?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do a lot of sea swimming in my younger days, but don't have that urge these days, i much prefer standing on the beach with a camera taking pics of surfers.
A mate of mine is heavily into open water swimming, he attempted the channel a few years ago and managed 16 miles but was beaten mentally, he is a qualified open water swimming instructor and has his own company, he has clients ranging from first timers wanting to have a go and learn,to serious long distance swimmers doing the big lakes and the channel, he is kept busy.

A pic i took last week while thinking those surfers are mad the water looks freezing lol.

bh 15 1 23 1 (touch of colour in a sea of grey).jpg

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Some years ago we rented a cottage at Wembury,  the chap that owned it Fred, lived next door. Every day of the year he said he swims out to the island and back, just off the coast. I don't know if it has a name. God knows how he did it but he trotted off down to the beach every day we were there. 

Screenshot_20230127_142606_Maps.jpg

That's because it's down there me 'ansum! Try the north sea 🌊 🥶🐻‍❄️

Over the years I have done a bit of unintended cold water swimming while wild fowling , but like some of the other members , I don't intend to do any of that sort of thing in the coming months , I say months as you get to a certain age and you don't bother to look to far ahead , just getting out in my beloved countryside each day is enough to keep my well being in reasonable shape and I will leave all this cold water swimming to those hardier than me , give me a nice hot bath instead .:good: