Outraged

keeper96

Just need to vent…. The shoot I beat on has cancelled the beaters day! 

it just feels like a huge let down, I prioritised this shoot over others during the season, put holidays in at work, juggled childcare all to make sure I made all days apart from 1 and they’ve cancelled our beater day with 2 days notice and no excuse given! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

it just feels like a huge let down, I prioritised this shoot over others during the season, put holidays in at work, juggled childcare all to make sure I made all days apart from 1 and they’ve cancelled our beater day with 2 days notice and no excuse given! 

All you beaters who shoot, need to inform the keeper you won’t be there next season. 

@keeper96 you have every right to vent! That’s absolutely disgraceful. Providing of course that that is the deal everyone goes by. If the deal is you get x per day for beating and then a beaters/clean up day at the end of the season then technically it’s breach of contract (implied) I’d be getting in the ear of the other beaters and finding out the consensus and then maybe putting it in wrighting to the shoot owner and the head keeper (with everyone’s signatures to  making them aware that it’s completely unacceptable behaviour and shows a complete lack of respect for all the hard work. 

hope you get sorted satisfactorily. 

Edited by Spr1985

I used to help on a shoot where, one year, the owner’s team had such an unexpectedly good day on his “last” day one week before the end of the season, that he immediately organised another day, the day before beater’s day, and invited all his ‘A’ team guests, telling them to shoot as much as possible. The team shot over 300, shooting cocks and hens.

The ‘keeper was incensed, asked all the beater’s day guests to arrive early, and shot very nearly from dawn until dusk, saying, “I’ll show him how to shoot pheasants!” If I recall correctly the beater’s beat the boss’ team by about 17, shooting cocks only. 

The ‘keeper handed in his notice the next morning.

1 hour ago, keeper96 said:

yep your worth about the same as a lump of dog **** on a boot ,its a mad world 200 bird days at 10 grand total and you get £30 quid for the day. covers your fuel to get there and a bag of sweets for the kids if your lucky. 

Was on  a 200 bird last week Wales and i reckon the beaters had been crossed with a mountain goat ,was seriously heavy going.

Edited by Remimax

Bit of a job to say what we would all do until we know all the true facts , what type of shoot is it ? , fully keepered , part time keeper , commercial shoot and so on , have they had bird flu at any time during the season ? , have they had beaters days in the past ?

If this was a last minute decision then yes it was a bad move if they are going to continue with the shoot .

I have never known this to happen around this way , no doubt for unexpected reasons this could happen but it would have to be something out of the ordinary .

Hopefully I don't get a phone call tonight for a last minute cancelation as our one start in about 13 hours time :drinks:

we walked out on a shoot the day before it started...................

at the end of the previous year...we were picking and beating sometimes twice/week....(it was a big estate)...........looked forward to the cock day......day came.....11 cocks and a few coots..couple of pigeons ...magpie.........

the shoot owner had gone in 3 days before hand and caught all the cocks up and sold them to another shoot down the road........

Yes I can see why you venting you view, 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

All you beaters who shoot, need to inform the keeper you won’t be there next season. 

And agree with Scully on this , but if it's the same shoot keeper, captain, leave it up to the last minute and let him down, say you're going but don't turn up on the day.

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Bit of a job to say what we would all do until we know all the true facts , what type of shoot is it ? , fully keepered , part time keeper , commercial shoot and so on , have they had bird flu at any time during the season ? , have they had beaters days in the past ?

If this was a last minute decision then yes it was a bad move if they are going to continue with the shoot .

I have never known this to happen around this way , no doubt for unexpected reasons this could happen but it would have to be something out of the ordinary .

Hopefully I don't get a phone call tonight for a last minute cancelation as our one start in about 13 hours time :drinks:

Decent syndicate, shoot every other Saturday, average 100 bird days. 

All part time keepered by the shoot captain and his son.

No bird flu issues and have always had a day in the past from what I’ve heard, this is my first year on the shoot. 

there has been no talk of the shoot folding next season so I’m not sure at all what’s going on with cancelling the beaters day. 

If you are free wander down and see what’s happening ? As it smells fishy.

on my second sort of keepers day today  ( but really a clear up / dray shoot etc ) pocket full of odds and **** carts wise- we are heading back up to the moor for a rough shoot . Don’t get paid but it’s a very small family run affair. Also got a dog fox that’s giving us the run around!

heard rumour of good prices been payed for hens or 2 for 1 for 2 month  old poults  !

Agriv8 

9 hours ago, keeper96 said:

Decent syndicate, shoot every other Saturday, average 100 bird days. 

All part time keepered by the shoot captain and his son.

No bird flu issues and have always had a day in the past from what I’ve heard, this is my first year on the shoot. 

there has been no talk of the shoot folding next season so I’m not sure at all what’s going on with cancelling the beaters day. 

Communication is key.

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This!

For all you know the keeper's wife could've been hit by a bus.

Establish the facts first & don't go off half-cocked...

A keeper is judged by the days shooting and without the beaters the days shoot couldn't go ahead , he rely on a good team of beaters to make the day run as smoothly as possible , a lot of old established shoots have got a few old hands who keep an on things and are in radio contact when on stop or wide out on the flank , some of these chaps also beat on other shoots and the keeper do his upmost to keep his team of helpers well informed if for any reason the dates are changed so some might go on other shoots and some might had booked a days holiday from work so they can cancel the day off if at all possible , in other words , as soon as the keeper hear about any changes then his team of helpers also hear as soon as possible , so cancelling the beaters day without reason, and not letting the team of helpers know just don't sound right to me :hmm:

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Keeper 96 has an excuse come forward yet as to why it was cancelled ?

Nothing official but the rumour is lack of birds 

the syndicate shot on Saturday for a bag of 60 birds so I’m assuming they where worried the drives wouldnt refill in 4 days. 

for what it’s worth I’m not bothered about the bag, I’d rather they let us meet up for one last walk about and hopefully get a couple of shots 🤷‍♂️ Plus I retired a dog at the start of the season and was going to bring him out for a couple of drives so was looking forward to that 

why didn't they arrange beaters day after the last guns day i've been on beaters day with not many birds left but it was great just to stand on a peg that you had earned through the season it's not all about big bags on beaters day but the chance to shoot if you are  lucky enough to be on the right peg and have a good crack with the boys  it looks like you was all 💩 on if that is the reason

Edited by Rim Fire