Jump to content

Car insurance


Recommended Posts

I'm finding like a lot of people i'm sure that my premiums are going up regardless of accident free history and full no claims, one thing I would like to try to reduce is the upping of the premium dependent on mileage, is this now the norm to be clobbering drivers on slightly in excess of 10k mileage per annum, I would have thought anything under 15 these days ought to be average and would be interested to hear from forum users paying close to 800 quid for elderly pickup trucks (in my case a 2002 Hilux)- and if their insurers are all strict on mileage, thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Renewed the Corsa before christmas, it went from £160 to £260, the mileage we always have on it is 15,000 per year.
Renewed my trike a week ago have it down for 14,000 miles a year my renewal was £3 less, then i did a silly thing and bought a 22 plate trike, same mileage, but because it wasn't cheap (twice the value of the old one) i have just payed £740 insurance.
I have some friends who drive range rovers, their premiums are like a new drivers.

I don't think it's mileage alone, but the cost of repair or replacement of a lot of vehicles has gone through the roof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a minefield and you just have to spend a rainy morning or afternoon hunting around. If you haven't already play around with all the questions not just the mileage, ie. using your vehicle at peak times, where it is parked through the day/night, whether you need legal/windscreen cover etc etc etc. Good luck but you still looking at 30% ++ on last years premium for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 70 years old wife's 08 Nissan Note 'Privilege' renewal went from £360 to well over £500 with only 1 yr NCD, 3K miles per annum. They phoned a few days ago to sak why she hadn't renewed. I made a reply to the effect of insurance companies seem to think customers are mugs and that we went Tesco.

Confused .com produced a Tesco quote of £328...valid for one day only - we went with that and her Tesco points card brought it down to £280  starting 1st Feb.

 

I'm 72 with 9 years NCD, my 36K miles year 2000 Shogun Pinin (CAT C buy back with front bumper and OSF wing owner replaced), also 3K miles per annum.

MORE THAN premium was shocking - only £145.59 !!! Sadly they have ceased taking on motor insurance so there won't be a renewal invite from them - but another company will do so. I'm anticipating having to go compare again

Because that premium is so strange I include a photo of the policy schedule.

 

MORE THAN premium.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was with Churchill I have 10 points and last years premium for my 2015 Ford focus estate was £349 should of auto renewed but didn’t come through I called them and they said they will not insure me this year because of the points I said I had them last year and you renewed and they said they have changed underwriters and that’s that I went with lv and that was £580 the cheapest on the comparison sites  before anyone asks I got caught speeding twice one day at 0610 and the next day same place at 0615 doing 28 mph and 32 mph in a 20 area big wide road with no one on it  by a parked van with a camera in the back 4 points  for one and 6 points for the other with a fine of £690 and £960  

Edited by nobbyathome
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The increase in car insurance premiums is almost a national scandal.
Because every company is doing it, price comparison and moaning about it, is almost a waste of time.

My vehicle renewal came up late November last year, my wife is a named driver, but hasn't driven since Covid and is unlikely to drive again.
I had the renewal quote, we then decided to remove her from the insurance and the premium increased by about £75.
I hadn't expected much of a decrease,  but I did not expect an increase.


How does that work out ?

We immediately put her back on.🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, armsid said:

2005 golf tdi been on commercial policy for over 35 yrs so classed as none 71yrs old Churchill £750.00 NFU£285.00

A little rural cinema close to us used to advertise NFU every week and I must admit its time to get a quote from them this year- thats quite a difference between the two premiums you quoted there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are all having to pay more because the average cost of a claim has increased.

This is due in no small part because electric cars get written off after even a fairly minor bump. 

The whole floor pan is the battery and batteries cannot be repaired so the car is unrepairable.

Although we may not be driving an electric car the risk of us driving into an electric car is  increasing so the premium goes up as well.

It's about your predicted level of risk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2024 at 18:24, Acerforestry said:

I'm finding like a lot of people i'm sure that my premiums are going up regardless of accident free history and full no claims, one thing I would like to try to reduce is the upping of the premium dependent on mileage, is this now the norm to be clobbering drivers on slightly in excess of 10k mileage per annum, I would have thought anything under 15 these days ought to be average and would be interested to hear from forum users paying close to 800 quid for elderly pickup trucks (in my case a 2002 Hilux)- and if their insurers are all strict on mileage, thanks

just paid £314 for my toyota hilux single cab 2006 fully comp with kinto protect toyota insurance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2024 at 18:24, Acerforestry said:

Interested to hear from forum users paying close to 800 quid for elderly pickup trucks (in my case a 2002 Hilux

Insurers take the view that an old vehicle is more of a risk than a brand spanking new vehicle as you'll be indifferent to slight knocks and scrapes on such. Whereas on a brand spanking new vehicle you'll drive with great care and thus, the thinking goes, less likely to cause a knock or scrape to a third party's vehicle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently had an exploratory discussion with my current insurer (NFU).  I currently have a BMW 3 series touring (estate) - top of range but 17 years old and a high insurance group as 'high performance model' (300 bhp) in it's time.  It will need replacing soon and I am looking at various possible replacements, but wanted to know how a serious 4x4 SUV would affect current premium.  I asked for a generic 'non binding' quote to get an idea of what was 'sensible' and what was 'crazy'.

Basically, a Toyota Land Cruiser or RAV4 (I used an example of 4 years old) would be pretty much the same (slightly more for the LC).  For any Discovery, new style Defender/Evoque/Velar/RR Sport - would need to specify exact model/year as they were now only handled on a 'case by case' basis as they are at very high theft risk.  I didn't even ask about Range Rover.  The 'warning' given were that some were very much more and would need special additional measures (My current BMW had to have an approved tracker for the price I pay).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Insurers take the view that an old vehicle is more of a risk than a brand spanking new vehicle as you'll be indifferent to slight knocks and scrapes on such. Whereas on a brand spanking new vehicle you'll drive with great care and thus, the thinking goes, less likely to cause a knock or scrape to a third party's vehicle.

That will be why my 26 year old Surf cost me a mint, last year was £600. This year doing the go-compare and such they wanted £1300🙄, ended up with Sterling for £890.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2024 at 23:53, nobbyathome said:

I was with Churchill I have 10 points and last years premium for my 2015 Ford focus estate was £349 should of auto renewed but didn’t come through I called them and they said they will not insure me this year because of the points I said I had them last year and you renewed and they said they have changed underwriters and that’s that I went with lv and that was £580 the cheapest on the comparison sites  before anyone asks I got caught speeding twice one day at 0610 and the next day same place at 0615 doing 28 mph and 32 mph in a 20 area big wide road with no one on it  by a parked van with a camera in the back 4 points  for one and 6 points for the other with a fine of £690 and £960  

That’s mental . 6 in the morning too for that many points 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Renewed mine last night. 
Paperwork for auto renewal came through at £966 ( up from £524 or so this year). 
Went back online with same details for same company and it’s £744 with enhanced courtesy car. 
Tried all the comparison sites which were coming up with over a grand. 
 

Still, I was sort of expecting worse due to make/model and fact it’s full ev. But I’m saving a shed load in running costs and it’s lowered my household leccy bill too for our heat pump and so the increase in premium has been covered by just one months savings on the house. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...