Voter ID?

CaptC

Just looked at the Electoral Commission's web page re the accepted forms of ID (https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id)

I was surprised that a SGC or FAC is not listed? Would someone be turned away if they presented their certificate? - Obviously take a recognised back up ID if you try it!

Maybe it's an NI thing but I think it's a bit silly using a firearms cert as a form of ID, you are showing someone you don't know your name and address and announcing that there is firearms in the house. 

We are warned against that by the FEO, your cert should only be viewed by the police or by your RFD when buying a gun or ammunition.

I think they work from the ‘approved list’ quite how certain things get on that list I don’t know. 

it seems to me it’s ‘plastic card’ type government issued. 

driving licences and the such 

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

i showed my FAC and shotgun paperwork to the bank a few years ago and they didnt accept it 

MIne accepted a Shotgun Certificate but NOT an FAC. Why? AS their list of acceptable documents has Shotgun Certificate on it but not Firearm Certificate so there was no "tick box" to satisfy them checking two forms of ID plus one with a photograph. I kid you all not!

I showed my Shotgun licence to an internal air flight company about 10 years ago and when the receptionist looked at it she seemed taken aback, but quickly looked me straight in the eye checked the photo on my licence and stamped my paperwork for the flight.  Is there really any point though in trying to take on the might of whichever department decided to say no to fac as proof of ID.  Why waste time and effort going up against them - you will likely loose out in the long run. Calm your initial reponse and continue to enjoy your shooting, far too many wolk persons employed for and within the government, we are just a minority.:good:

Having a sgc does not necessarily mean guns are at the address but I take your point all polling staff are vetted afaik ! I had a gun cert for years at various houses but all guns were co licensed and lived in my dads cab !

I personally more protective of my passport and drivers license both easily usable to start identity fraud something a sgc is not usually a start document for. 

In this day and age I have no control who can see my medical records at doctors which will no doubt have sgc marker and copy of sgc renewal request !

in essence I hope that polling staff are not likley to break into my house and are they really going to remember the address of those that do use one out of the thousands on the polling records

Agriv8

IMG_3336.png

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Am I missing something but why would you advertise the presence of guns at your home to a stranger? No way I would use SGC as ID

At one time FAC and SGC were the only official documents I had with a photo.  I had a paper non photo driving license and no passport.

Agriv8 regarding health records, you are spot on that it states if you are a rifle or shotgun license holder. I had reason to go from my GPs with and open letter for our nearest A&E department, which my wife drove me to.  Reading the letter on the journey, there it was - not once but twice saying in Bold Black letters that I was a fire arms holder, I take it when you ask your GP to sign off on your application for these that he/she has to enter such detail on your medical records.

Pushkin:good:

6 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I take it when you ask your GP to sign off on your application for these that he/she has to enter such detail on your medical records.

That is correct.