Burglar shot and homeowner arrested

Rob85

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a shout out thieves of especially rural properties the majority may hold  gun licences   and in day light or dark you may not  know where the owner or guardians may be & what Surveillance measures may be in place. If the feds did not respond & f3lt threatened.........

I read a report this morning that the Police had been called to a suspected burglary at the same premises earlier the same day.  The incident in which the person(s) were shot was the second incident, around 10 hours later.  The report states that "the Police are keeping an open mind" on whether the incidents are linked.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13377673/farmer-arrested-suspected-teen-burglar-shot-dead.html

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I read a report this morning that the Police had been called to a suspected burglary at the same premises earlier the same day.  The incident in which the person(s) were shot was the second incident, around 10 hours later.  The report states that "the Police are keeping an open mind" on whether the incidents are linked.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13377673/farmer-arrested-suspected-teen-burglar-shot-dead.html

Looking at google maps the farm is remote and about 600 yards from any other houses/roads, I would imagine he felt very vulnerable considering he was robbed in another burglary the day before.

48 minutes ago, daveboy said:

The outcome may well depend on what is said in interview... a career criminal would know exactly what to say/not say

but a farmer may not. Lets hope he has a good lawyer.

You're right in that, the details will matter. I think a lot of it might hinge on the manner of the shooting. Did he shoot them in the back on their way out? Or did he hit them front on as they perhaps tried to take him on thinking his gun was unloaded and he was just making a threat? The latter may well be easier to justify rather than shooting in the back as they fled because that can be argued that you are shooting in vengence. 

Maybe he took a literal "shot in the dark" and hit them both when he only intended to scare them away, regardless I think there is a very real possibility of a prison sentence for him unfortunately.

23 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Quote from the mail "Chief Superintendent Dave Kirby, of Derbyshire police, said he believed the incident was a 'targeted attack' and there was no wider risk to the public".

That to me implies it wasn't a common burglary, they were after something specific they knew was at that property, possibly the farmer was growing a particular type of crop, indoors?

I could be completely wide of the mark, it's the "targeted attack" part I find odd.

Either way, no sympathy for those shot, I'll reserve judgement on the shooter until we know more.

With friends like you!

only defence in these cases is “recall” you had the gun loaded to hand for a fox suddenly attacked by vicious burglars you no choice but to grab it and fire otherwise police will ask how you had time to retrieve a firearm from locked cabinet and load it but not take other measures don’t shoot scumbags they ain’t worth it! 

11 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Yes. Your totally ridiculous , unfounded suggestion that the farmer  " was growing a particular crop indoors"

On 02/05/2024 at 13:53, Wymondley said:

That to me implies it wasn't a common burglary, they were after something specific they knew was at that property, possibly the farmer was growing a particular type of crop, indoors?

Ridiculous and unfounded?

Well the young man that was shot dead didn't fit the profile of the typical farm burglar (the sort that may steal a quad, tools, chainsaws etc), it was the second time the farm had been burgled in 24 hours, now either that's a coincidence or they were after something very specific they knew or suspected was there.

If it was the same lads that returned the second time, that's a hell of risk, unless they thought the farmer wouldn't involve the police because of the nature of what they were after.

That may have been cash, guns (not legally held), or drugs, I happened to suggest drugs, it doesn't mean there were any of these things, merely they suspected there might be, it would be naive to think this couldn't be a possibility, note, I said possibility not fact.

I also stated I could be completely wrong, I'm happy to be proved so when all the facts come out.

Until such time I'll reserve judgement and I see nothing wrong with discussing what may, or may not have occurred and exploring all possibilities.

Should the farmer prove to be the innocent victim defending his (legal) property then I'll gladly throw some cash towards his defence, I gather a fund has already been set up.

37 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Should the farmer prove to be the innocent victim defending his (legal) property then I'll gladly throw some cash towards his defence, I gather a fund has already been set up.

So you'll give some money towards his defence after he's found innocent ?

Must be a new style of justice, guilty until proven innocent😃

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

So you'll give some money towards his defence after he's found innocent ?

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

Should the farmer prove to be the innocent victim defending his (legal) property

Is what I said.

Meaning, having committed no offence, ie growing weed, having illegal guns etc, prior to shooting the intruders, that would make him an "innocent" victim defending his property afaic.

If he was then charged with murder/manslaughter he'd require defending and I'd be happy to contribute financially towards such a defence.

Indulging in prior illegal activities that influenced the nature of the burglary would not, in my opinion, make him the innocent victim, in which case he loses the moral high ground and my sympathy and financial support.

I'm surprised I have to explain that to a man who normally posts such intelligent and insightful posts.

But then I suspect you knew exactly what I meant 😉.

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I'm surprised I have to explain that to a man who normally posts such intelligent and insightful posts.

But then I suspect you knew exactly what I meant

Well thank you good Sir, just checking 😃

A second teen was found with a gunshot wound in the same road and rushed to hospital before being later arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary.”

If they had weapons, it will help the farmer’s defence.

I think licence holders in this thread should be careful about what they say on a public forum, especially when it comes to expressing opinions condoning the actions taken by the farmer, even more so before all of the details are known. That is all I will say. 

Edited by Rock_n_Roll_Outlaw