National service

ditchman

National service my bottom, 

12 different CAMPS for each different genders, and room for the additional camps that grow by the week/day. 

It more like to put people off voting that it would to gain votes from fear of their babies facing life issues.  

Edited by Dougy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that nothing is cast in stone and that person don't have to go and be trained as servicemen and that they can opt to do work in the comunity and stuff like that. I can't quite see the point of this.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Our army now ..is like a bunch of "armed social workers"

My Son who is serving would disagree, they work hard and play hard, and i have to say i think he and his mates are better soldiers than me and my mates were.
I have the utmost respect for all those serving today.

To be honest I’m thinking it’s not to bad a idea 

it could just give a young generation who doesn’t have a way out of there life a chance to make good 

its not going to happen in the first few years but given a little time the possibilities of changing the mindset of the young generation are there

worst case would be that some young people would like it embracing the opportunity and go on to make incredible progress in the forces 

i would inajine that the army brass are wracking their brains ...as to how to make this work...also the fitness would be a big issue,,,,most kids now-a-days would be unable to pull their own body weight.........

what would happen (god forbid) if they were called to fight..?

11 hours ago, welsh1 said:

My Son who is serving would disagree, they work hard and play hard, and i have to say i think he and his mates are better soldiers than me and my mates were.
I have the utmost respect for all those serving today.

Total respect for all those serving today and all that have served before

20 hours ago, dainty duck said:

The top and bottom of it they don't want to get back in ! lets face would you want to try and run  a country when you get brick bats thrown at you at every turn!

I reckon you could be right.

I think some of you need to read the proposal, seems more like a compulsory gap year with some forces involvement, or other public service organisations.

Obviously, they're going to do it with what money and what personnel?  They are about as likely to be training effective front line forces as I am to start horse whispering.

Those advocating for 'old school' National service should remember why we got rid of it in the 50s (Yes I know some officers hung on till '63): The cold war with the USSR was getting into full swing, and the kit the forces were operating was getting ever increasingly complex.  The prospect of training someone up for 18mths, to get 6mths useful work out of them, for them to leave ASAP, was just a massive waste of time and resources.

We need a professional properly funded armed services, not what amounts to a glorified YTS.  Sunak's desperate proposal helps no-one.

23 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Not seen an explanation if someone says no. No criminal record or charge. 

I assume someone was drunk when the idea came up, but it's hardly a vote winner with young voters.

OR their PARENTS  !    🙄

19 hours ago, Minky said:

I read that nothing is cast in stone and that person don't have to go and be trained as servicemen and that they can opt to do work in the comunity and stuff like that. I can't quite see the point of this.

That's what national service would probably end up looking like

I can't see them marching up and down on a parade ground getting yelled at.

National Service came in after the war because we had army /navy /Air force establishments all over the world that still needed to be manned. Even though they weren't on a war footing anymore.

To keep the national servicemen occupied they imposed a huge round of mind numbing inspections and bull.

Today we wouldn't be able to house a load of national servicemen and there is nobody to train them. 

When I joined up I (we) were subject to mind numbing inspections and bull as described above. We were regulars albeit apprentice technicians and the guy marching us about and dishing out the bull was national service. Bad news for a while as as they were leaving in droves some had to serve a few extra months to make up the shortfall. and as you can imagine those affected were not best pleased. Just our luck that our DI was one of them and he let us know in no uncertain terms just how peeved he was.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

That's what national service would probably end up looking like

I can't see them marching up and down on a parade ground getting yelled at.

National Service came in after the war because we had army /navy /Air force establishments all over the world that still needed to be manned. Even though they weren't on a war footing anymore.

To keep the national servicemen occupied they imposed a huge round of mind numbing inspections and bull.

Today we wouldn't be able to house a load of national servicemen and there is nobody to train them. 

This.

With regard military service; cutbacks over the years means that there are just not the facilities and infrastructure to house, service and train large numbers of young folks. Social service is a different matter which I suppose could include vocational training as well as undertaking things that benefit the local community etc..

12 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

This.

With regard military service; cutbacks over the years means that there are just not the facilities and infrastructure to house, service and train large numbers of young folks. Social service is a different matter which I suppose could include vocational training as well as undertaking things that benefit the local community etc..

this ^ as we all are a where the military camps and accommodations have been turned over to housing the asylum seekers .

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Don’t get too worried about it, the Con ( artists)are done! 

The problem maybe, is the con artists queuing up to give us their full canvas?

A sad affair when the only vote is to be for the least personal harm?