Frozen Fish - Anything actually edible?

phaedra1106

Having now tried four different frozen cook in the oven "premium white fish in batter" from Birds Eye etc. they have all been pretty bad :(

Most of the "white fish" is grey with a brown streak through it, Alaskan Pollock I believe, even the Bids Eye real Cod ones were grey and stodgy :(

So, anyone recommend a decent frozen fish in batter that actually looks like the picture on the box when it's cooked and tastes OK?

Edited by phaedra1106

You can't get fresh fish . That's the problem as it's 2weeks old from being caught to being behind the counter.

Morrisons by us has mackerel with red eyes and got the guts still inside them. It's wrong as you should gut mackerel straight away. You can see the bum holes are split. It shouldn't be served up

You can't get fresh fish . That's the problem as it's 2weeks old from being caught to being behind the counter.

Morrisons by us has mackerel with red eyes and got the guts still inside them. It's wrong as you should gut mackerel straight away. You can see the bum holes are split. It shouldn't be served up

agree about mackerel should only be eaten on day of capture, we use a lot of fish and if I have caught plenty I freeze the fillets as quick as possible and think that fresh frozen is better than old "fresh" if you cant buy fresh fish then why not buy frozen without batter or breadcrumbs defrost slowly and treat as fresh edit to add i dont freeze mackerel

Edited by islandgun

Given his location he needs to get to one of the shops in either Whitburn (attached to the petrol station near the Bents car park) or down the High Street in Sunderland, into the quayside shop attached to the docks.

Lots of fresh fish...plus the car park at Whitburn also has a Minchella site there. Extra monkeys blood on mine!

To be totally fair mackerel is best eaten within 2 hours of coming out of the water, if not sooner and definitely gutted as soon as caught :good:

Fish is like a stock market , when there is a surplus of a particular type investors buy it in bulk and store it frozen warehouses for up to three years and release it back in the market for a premium when there is a shortage , all the stuff you get on the fish counter in a supermarket and think is fresh is up to three years old

Edited by Twistedsanity

frozen fish really isnt worth wasting your money on, you buying something that is but a glimmer or what it once was and paying through the nose for it. Super markets really are the scrapping of the barrel for quality and freshness.

I'd rather not eat it or I'll go out of my way and get it from a decent source..... which these days is direct from the sea :)

There are a couple of vans which park up in our town on different days each week. One comes from Fleetwood the other from over the N.East somewhere. Don't know how fresh their fresh fish is but it is all good. I prefer mackerel smoked, so day fresh isn't an issue.

The other one might be Hodgsons of Hartlepool just about as fresh as you can get without buying direct from the quay or off the boats (which you can still do here) of course there is always the pier!

KW