Put at risk at work

Wiggum

I have worked at the same company for near enough 24 years started at 16 straight from school as an assistant on a van doing lighting repairs, worked my way up in the company to being given my own van, qualifying as an electrician, made up to a supervisor and NICEIC Qualifying supervisor then progressed to being an area manager and being responsible for managing up to 17 multi-skilled engineers who are carrying out maintenance and installation work on major high street retail and banking premises. That was up until last night when we're all (other managers and admin included) invited to a meeting regarding "restructuring" and will all be put at risk. I'm now contemplating taking any redundancy that's offered and setting up as a self employed sparky but it's quite daunting to think that after 24years of having a regular wage every month it will no longer be there. The company's no longer a good place to work (no pay rise this year not even the normal 1-2% as someone managed to overestimate the projected profit by 50 million and your essentially just a number so feel it's time to move on. Anyone else done similar or have any useful advice on setting up on your own ?

are you and you colleagues being replaced by "others".................

just sounds like a similar story to my mate...he set up as a self employed boiler engineer.....took about 18mths to start making decent money...but he has never been busier......

Do it! I had a thread going in February this year on here asking for advice as I was in the same situation. Some fantastic advice from members if you want to look it up. I did have a big job to strt me off which is a luxury though. Im a carpenter. By far the best decision I made and you will NOT want to work for anyone again. Slightly Norns stress but I'll take it. Atb

I have worked at the same company for near enough 24 years started at 16 straight from school as an assistant on a van doing lighting repairs, worked my way up in the company to being given my own van, qualifying as an electrician, made up to a supervisor and NICEIC Qualifying supervisor then progressed to being an area manager and being responsible for managing up to 17 multi-skilled engineers who are carrying out maintenance and installation work on major high street retail and banking premises. That was up until last night when we're all (other managers and admin included) invited to a meeting regarding "restructuring" and will all be put at risk. I'm now contemplating taking any redundancy that's offered and setting up as a self employed sparky but it's quite daunting to think that after 24years of having a regular wage every month it will no longer be there. The company's no longer a good place to work (no pay rise this year not even the normal 1-2% as someone managed to overestimate the projected profit by 50 million and your essentially just a number so feel it's time to move on. Anyone else done similar or have any useful advice on setting up on your own ?

hello, can only send good wishes being your own boss :good:

Your never really your own boss. You still dance someone's tune, be it customers or contracts you undertake for larger company's. I know quite a few who have give up self employment and gone back to contracting as it became too cut throat and the work wasn't paying.

It all depends on your area of expertise and how much competition you have in your catchment area.

Best of luck whatever happens.

Plenty of work for sparks out there, Im in construction too.

How are your savings, it cost to set up and to get to the point of invoice, then you wait for the invoice to be paid, how are you at coping with erratic income,

I just did 14months without paying in as i was buildiing some houses.

Its not for everyone being self employed, but if you can adjust it has plenty to offer.

With websites like Trust a trader its easier to connect with customers and get work in the early days. The big hill to climb before was getting known and building up a customer base from scratch.

The websites are not perfect, you get a lot of little jobs, but they help the cash flow because its payment on the spot

Edited by Vince Green

Those who work and do their best ... Go down the road just like the rest. or. You play ball with me and .... I'll stick the bat right up your **** ( Higher Management ).

Take the redundancy and run, even if you just go and do a similar job for someone else a change is as good as a rest.

I've been at places where people haven't taken a pay out thinking it'll be ok, it rairly is it just goes down hill.

Weather you go self employed contract or cards in can't imagine a spark being out of work.

One other issue with being self employed is that of being willing to work all hours. The one or two people I have used to do work for me from plumber to chimney sweep have been superb but have been willing to work all hours to get a job done. You accept that your money flow might be a bit hit and miss for a week or two so I feel sure your willing to accept the hours to get it done. Work flows due to reputation. My advice ?? Do it.

Your never really your own boss. You still dance someone's tune, be it customers or contracts you undertake for larger company's. I know quite a few who have give up self employment and gone back to contracting as it became too cut throat and the work wasn't paying.

It all depends on your area of expertise and how much competition you have in your catchment area.

Best of luck whatever happens.

Agree with this you are not your own boss in reality.

I have had two successful companies since 1985 the current one set up in 1988 in the service engineering industry. It used to be relatively easy but these days with all the H&S and RAMS its a flamin nightmare. Would I do it again .....probably not at least not as a tradesman. I am semi retired now but its still stressful. Personally I would not rush into a decision regarding self employement.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

The best part of working for yourself is getting to choose which 18 hours a day you work. I've had some good times being self employed and seen and done stuff and met people I probably wouldn't have met had I done what my parents wanted and got a proper job.

Being laid up like I am at the minute has really hit home though. My insurance refused to pay out because they decided they didn't cover me for what I was doing, the govt are refusing to pay me any money in ESA sick pay for a handful of reasons - the lad I spoke to today said it makes a mockery of actually working for a living. Make sure you get decent personal insurance that covers you for lost income and sick days, get decent public liability cover and insure your tools if they're valuable in case some scribe decides to help themselves to them.

I'm going to go back to working for someone else for a bit when I'm fit to work again just for job security and a change of scene. I've done 10years running my own business and I'm ready for a break. Would I do it again? Yeah I've had a great old time doing it and I'll surely start up again when I'm ready.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've nearly jumped ship a couple of times before but always talked myself out of it as it's quite daunting as it's the only job/company I've worked for and have had the benefit of a regular garanteed wage. After so long in one place you almost become institutionalised but I'm growing to hate my job and I'm not keen on the path the company is heading down. Should get a minimum of nearly 10k redundancy so will cushion the transition and help take the pressure off for the first few months at least. I've got several friends of various trades who have said they will pass me work so that's a start at least.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've nearly jumped ship a couple of times before but always talked myself out of it as it's quite daunting as it's the only job/company I've worked for and have had the benefit of a regular garanteed wage. After so long in one place you almost become institutionalised but I'm growing to hate my job and I'm not keen on the path the company is heading down. Should get a minimum of nearly 10k redundancy so will cushion the transition and help take the pressure off for the first few months at least. I've got several friends of various trades who have said they will pass me work so that's a start at least.

Thought about it a couple of times

10k start up fund

Recomendations/jobs from mates

You are well set to go :yes:

Yep go for it! I had the offer on a Monday evening of all the carpentry work on a big renovation job of a large listed property which is months of work. On the Wednesday evening I decided I'm going for it. A real out of the blue decision. I worked for the same firm from 16-30 and was in a rut. I had no money saved to kick me off and had no personal van so I had to use my Ford Focus for tools etc which was a nightmare. Just had to save to enable me to get a little van to start me off. I've had it easy as the first year goes (touch wood) as I've got guaranteed work on the big job and am getting a fair bit of other work coming in to.

I might eat my words but I really couldn't work for someone again. Hope it all works out well for you mate.