Sign in to follow this  
tomquin

Gloves

Good evening all.

What gloves is everyone using on the foreshore? Now that the temps are going to fall sharply I'm in need of a new pair. Not looking to break the bank but don't mind paying for quality. 

I tend to wear Sealskinz to shoot with as the leather palms and fingers enable you to hold the gun without slippage. And then large warm mittens over the top that you can slip off at the last minute. Not cheap but an amazing combo.

Depends on the size of your hands. 

My hands are big so even the largest sizes are tight so slow down circulation negating the benefits. Gloves large and warm enough hinder my hands for loading and triggerfeel. 

I have some camo sealskinz that are decent and keep Out the water but are tight. 

Thin leather lined shooting or work gloves work best and oiled waxed to keep water out are warmest. 

hand knitted natural wool will  keep you warm wet or dry or military wool gloves on evilbay same for socks in waders pure wool 

Edited by Saltings

Buy zippo hand warmers and loads of crappy wool gloves, when wet change for a dry pair, it’s better than buying an expensive pair that just get wet anyway! 

I keep one in my pocket and warm

my hands in turn with gloves on. A mate has two smaller ones he tucks down the back of each glove. 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:31, johnnytheboy said:

Buy zippo hand warmers and loads of crappy wool gloves, when wet change for a dry pair, it’s better than buying an expensive pair that just get wet anyway! 

Great Idea.

petrol hand warmer and an avery muff at waist height to keep hands out of wind one at a time

Posted (edited)

Long time since I did it...50 years or more but I used to wear woolen fingerless mittens and some good warm mittens over the top but had these on a tape like little kids did at school.

The warm mittens not having fingers could be pulled on and off easily unlike fingers and being on tape didn't drop in the mud.  As said long time memories.

I wear sealskinz today for shooting and have side pockets for putting my hands in if needed.

On really cold days I have a Cabela's Muff which hangs around my neck and hands can be slipped in  and there is a pocket for a hand warmer in there as well.

Edited by Walker570

On 05/11/2018 at 21:44, figgy said:

I keep one in my pocket and warm

my hands in turn with gloves on. A mate has two smaller ones he tucks down the back of each glove. 

I buy a box of the disposable ones they last 10 hours and can be slipped in the mitt of my sealskinz.

Only use thin cammo gloves when fowling, mainly....yes! Purely for camouflage! Lol! In really cold weather I sometimes have lighter fuelled, hand warmers in each hand warmer pocket, they will last up to around 8 hours!.......for any other shooting I don't wear gloves!

hello, i do not shoot much in the rain at night,  i use those thermal black gloves with rubber palm, there warm and grips the rifle stock very well, i buy the long wrist ones about a fiver for 2

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

My wife bought me a pair of Hoggs of Fife Field Pro shooting gloves for Xmas. I think that they were just over £20 from our local Mole store. Tried them out in the week to see how effective they were shooting and reloading etc. The index fingers (both left and right) have thinner material so good sensitive feel on the trigger. It was hardly sub zero temperature but they were really warm so hopefully will be good in very cold weather.

OB