Jump to content

Longthorne and TGS


Scully
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Is he though? I think so but then maybe I don't, you decide, at least he is always making a firm statement, or is he? One things for sure, but he's not sure what it is, or is he?

😂

10 hours ago, TK421 said:

Great vid tbf. Was all good until I looked up the price. Not a bad upgrade from a Miroku right 😳

How much? I handled one at Lowther Show some years ago, and asked if they had plans for a box lock, like that was going to make any difference as to whether I could afford one or not! 
She was a very nice lady though, and humoured me. 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Is he though? I think so but then maybe I don't, you decide, at least he is always making a firm statement, or is he? One things for sure, but he's not sure what it is, or is he?

Lol. Nail on the head 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

😂

How much? I handled one at Lowther Show some years ago, and asked if they had plans for a box lock, like that was going to make any difference as to whether I could afford one or not! 
She was a very nice lady though, and humoured me. 🙂

 

£15k + the skies the limit. 
huge amount of guns in that price range as well, some arguably better ones at a lower price. But it is a UK gun 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Longthorns main selling point seems to be their barrels. When non toxic loads get pushed more and more they will be trying to capitalise on the extreme hugh bird market, a good looking gun that can take a big steel load through a full choke will appeal to people who engage in that kind of shooting. Sadly for me apart from not having that kind of cash to part with  the barrels are the wrong way round for game shooting 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't have a great experience with the shop but I think what they are doing on YouTube is great for the sport. High quality videos that are balanced and informative. Thats how you get people hooked on field sports. I would love a longthorne, they look great and well engineered in England which is a rarity. Unfortunately it's never going to happen, but I wouldn't turn a free one down. 

Edited by bigroomboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

£15k + the skies the limit. 
huge amount of guns in that price range as well, some arguably better ones at a lower price. But it is a UK gun 😉

Mmmmm, when I think how much I spent on my present Landrover, I think the Longthorne would have been a better option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know. I admire the owner of Longthorne's undoubted skill and his courage to set up a gunmaking business in the UK. But would I want one? I don't know. Certainly the choice of wood made by the TGS man isn't what I'd have chosen. I like the stocks of my guns fairly plain and with the grain straight through. I've never favoured this fetish for burrs and all that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair as a newish shooter I've found a lot of videos online to be really quite horrific. Some of Johnny's early stuff was a bit cringe, and like most gun videos every single one is the best thing ever. Johnny does give a few down sides mind. I don't like the Holt videos as it's just gushing, but I actually enjoyed this video as well as his trip to Italy. 

That stock, grip, and checkering was like nothing I've seen. Simply beautiful. I do wonder what discount he got as that's an amazing promo video! 

I do wonder if/when titanium barrels will ever become a thing, from the other video. 
Finally, surely better than one of the competing channels that just oozes over guns then shows you it being shot, but the camera being so awful you can't see what they're shooting :D

 

4 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

I didn't have a great experience with the shop but I think what they are doing on YouTube is great for the sport. High quality videos that are balanced and informative. Thats how you get people hooked on field sports. I would love a longthorne, they look great and well engineered in England which is a rarity. Unfortunately it's never going to happen, but I wouldn't turn a free one down. 

I went in there last summer after their flood damage. I didn't feel particularly welcome, and found it odd they had buckets of carts that were water damaged but not for sale, but on the shop floor. The sales people made me feel unwelcome as I didn't have a SGC, and it cost them sales that day that I bought elsewhere in the end. I agree though that they're doing vids that promote the sport well, and particularly enjoyed the clay tour to see other grounds, even if some of the content was a touch cringe. 

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

I don't know. I admire the owner of Longthorne's undoubted skill and his courage to set up a gunmaking business in the UK. But would I want one? I don't know. Certainly the choice of wood made by the TGS man isn't what I'd have chosen. I like the stocks of my guns fairly plain and with the grain straight through. I've never favoured this fetish for burrs and all that. 

I want to feel the kidney checkering and the grip on that gun though, I'm surprised we don't see more of it.

Far too much gun for me though, give me another 10-15 years of shooting at the very least. Even then, if I want something pretty to look at there are some older guns with gorgeous engraving I can admire for a lot less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...