Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

That's the problem,  you aren't thinking.

Try forming your own opinion , not just copying someone else's. 

The real irony is that someone with an enquiring mind like above … if born in Russia … would very likely be locked away now.

This type of ‘research’ just isn’t tolerated, and that’s why democracy will always get my vote over dictatorship.

8 hours ago, Scully said:

Laws only apply to the law abiding, and then only if there’s anyone to police them. Who’s policing this? 
It’s a bit naive to believe that anyone committing an act of war is going to be bothered about what someone else considers is against the law.

The whole idea of waging a war where the intent is to kill enough of the other side until they submit, and then creating rules of what is and isn’t acceptable is ludicrous beyond belief. 
Germany tried to blow the UK into submission and in turn we blew the hell out of their cities with the same intent. 
It’s war! 

Agreed.  But surely it must be so much better to be killed be a legal weapon than an illegal one. 🙄

9 hours ago, ordnance said:

Still there are laws / rules so as i said, to say ( there are no rules in war...only outcomes ) is factually incorrect. 

So you'd resolve the issue in which way if you were the bloke in charge of what exactly?

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

The real irony is that someone with an enquiring mind like above … if born in Russia … would very likely be locked away now.

This type of ‘research’ just isn’t tolerated, and that’s why democracy will always get my vote over dictatorship.

Russia doesn't have a restricted Internet, anyone can research what they want, voicing that opinion may be frought with risk, but we're getting a bit like that here too.

People have an image of Russia based on pre 90s iron curtain values , where the state controls media , and no one can leave, it simply isn't relevant in 2022.

They do not live in a big brother style dictatorship, this is simple propaganda. 

1 hour ago, Robden said:

Agreed.  But surely it must be so much better to be killed be a legal weapon than an illegal one. 🙄

I think most wouldn't know the difference.

A little common sense from Irish mep clare daly

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/watch-irish-mep-blames-nato-for-crisis

Edited by Rewulf

31 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Russia doesn't have a restricted Internet, anyone can research what they want, voicing that opinion may be frought with risk, but we're getting a bit like that here too.

It was 2018 when I was last there … and I stick with what I said.

Getting filmed by soldiers when you step off the plane sets the tone … I could go on ….

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

Getting filmed by soldiers when you step off the plane sets the tone … I could go on …

It must be your good looks, or they want to copy your haircut 🤣

I know a few people who've been, Moscow, St Petersburg, no one has mentioned anything like that, what on earth would they achieve by taking pictures or video of you? 

You've just been through passport control, and an airport terminal with hundreds of cctv cameras! 

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

when you back a rat into a corner it is at its most dangerous........putin WILL use nukes and bio weapons if forced...what the west needs to do is to force him into a position where he can back away with some sort of reputation left

Most sensible thing said in this post ,spot on.!

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It must be your good looks, or they want to copy your haircut 🤣

I know a few people who've been, Moscow, St Petersburg, no one has mentioned anything like that, what on earth would they achieve by taking pictures or video of you? 

You've just been through passport control, and an airport terminal with hundreds of cctv cameras! 

This, I worked in Moscow in 2013 and did not witness this. I found Moscow to be very westernised, don't get me wrong the Police were all armed, most with AKs, but apart from that. I also found the people to be some of the most welcoming I've ever met.

Well I'm not buying into the Irish MP's blame of NATO alone. History didn't repeat a past World War mistake.

Lets not forget the world saw Germany reneging on its WW1 war reparations and surrender treaty restrictions in rebuilding its enormous war machine for WW2 - but complacently did naff all about it!

USA and NATO will have been watching the Russian bear massively rebuild and prepare its war machine over the years, despite Russia's pledge to protect Ukraine when it gave up its nuclear defence ability, so NATO strengthened its forces/defences near its borders accordingly. They have also been able to donate massive amounts of armanants to Ukraine.

What a neighbouring country or alliance of countries does to counteract a neighbours menacing within their own countries is perfectly understandable legitimate and lawful. The bear had bared his teeth and demonstrated its military capacity during exercises near its border and ought to have left it at that as a warning it wasn't asleep.

Instead it attacked on the sly - I'm not saying there was no provocation on either side but at that time politics should have sorted it out.

Edited by Dave-G

it is heard that the russkies...have launched armor and heavy field guns push against the ukraines ...several times and have been pushed back and lost lots of heavy equipment...being reported today

it would appear that the Ukraines are using "shoot and scoot" tactics...with great effect...something the russkies cant cope with (at present)..........

either the russkies must use a more considered high tech' approach ...or flood the battlefield with troops

their "high tech'" appears to be lacking.....they have the troop numbers...but how effective physically and mentally are they ?

kind regards...Fieldmarshall Ditchman...KCB...CDM......

reporting from the frount...

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it would appear that the Ukraines are using "shoot and scoot" tactics...with great effect...something the russkies cant cope with (at present)..........

either the russkies must use a more considered high tech' approach ...or flood the battlefield with troops

their "high tech'" appears to be lacking.....they have the troop numbers...but how effective physically and mentally are they ?

General R E Wulfs assessment, is that the Russians have invaded on far too broad a front, Im not quite sure what they expected to happen.
Perhaps the Ukrainians were just going to buckle under the assault, maybe they underestimated how effective the western supplied anti armour missiles would be ?
The shock and awe style bombardment of SAM and radar installations certainly wasnt as effective as they would have liked at gaining air superiority , as there are plenty of active SAM sites left, even some aircraft.
The general feeling that Ukrainian troops are just way better than Russians, is a little hard to believe, and that idea doesnt make a lot of sense, they use similar equipment, similar training and doctrine, the 'defending the home turf' attitude certainly helps , but I believe Ukrainian troop losses are considerably higher than what we are lead to believe.

Putins regroup, shortening the front lines, and concentrating firepower, possibly with different leaders, may be more effective, but it leaves the west of Ukraine open for resupply of western weaponry....which leads me to speculate...

We have supplied literally 1000s of anti air and anti tank missiles to Ukraine, some , definitely have fallen into Russian hands.
Others have been swapped at road junctions out the back of family cars, and delivered to local soldiers and militia.
Now , a lot of this stuff isnt the latest models, but its still potent enough to do the job on Russian armour and air.
And theres the problem.
Where are some of these systems ending up, £80 K s worth of NLAW , a Jav with a couple of reloads £200K, Stinger around £100 K?
Thats a lot of money to an impoverished Russian or Ukrainian soldier, and these prices could double on the black market.
A stinger is perfectly capable of bringing down an airliner, even Javs can hit air targets, or how about a presidential motorcade ?
Its a terrorists dream to have capabilities like that.

The other side of the coin is this.
Next time we have a little adventure of our own in some far flung corner of the world, say for instance, we go to Iran , to free them from oppression, and help them get rid of some of their oil.
How would we feel if Russia supplied them with state of the art air defence missiles , or anti armour missiles , WHILST the conflict is underway ?
Alls fair in love and war right ?

32 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it is heard that the russkies...have launched armor and heavy field guns push against the ukraines ...several times and have been pushed back and lost lots of heavy equipment...being reported today

kind regards...Fieldmarshall Ditchman...KCB...CDM......

reporting from the frount...

Is that Cadburys Dairy Milk? With bar of course. 

26 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The other side of the coin is this.
Next time we have a little adventure of our own in some far flung corner of the world, say for instance, we go to Iran , to free them from oppression, and help them get rid of some of their oil.
How would we feel if Russia supplied them with state of the art air defence missiles , or anti armour missiles , WHILST the conflict is underway ?

we will find out after when boyo hands us a large dose of payback for throwing fuel on the fire 

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

we will find out after when boyo hands us a large dose of payback for throwing fuel on the fire 

Except nobody is going to directly attack a nuclear equipped country that has declared a willingness to use it on a first strike basis if they are likely facing major destruction.

16 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Except nobody is going to directly attack a nuclear equipped country that has declared a willingness to use it on a first strike basis if they are likely facing major destruction.

I’m talking more hard to buy from a seller who won’t give you the time of day 

11 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

It was 2018 when I was last there … and I stick with what I said.

Getting filmed by soldiers when you step off the plane sets the tone … I could go on ….

In the West peop's just don't get it. Not been to Russia (although my wife has many times and has some good stories) but China for me was the same. I was followed pretty much to every meeting i had for UK plc. This was for the OLympics. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

In the West peop's just don't get it. Not been to Russia (although my wife has many times and has some good stories) but China for me was the same. I was followed pretty much to every meeting i had for UK plc. This was for the OLympics. 

Might well be what you do, do you have yo fill out a visa when you go to Russia?

Fella I trained with years ago used to go there regularly selling suncream believe it or not, told plenty of stories but none ever involved being followed.