Giving bank details out ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

We all buy and sell things on here but is it safe giving your bank details out ?.

I've often wondered if someone has your acc no and sort code is there anyway they could

plunder your account.

Thanks all.

Just now, samboy said:

Hi gang.

We all buy and sell things on here but is it safe giving your bank details out ?.

I've often wondered if someone has your acc no and sort code is there anyway they could

plunder your account.

Thanks all.

I've done this for years. As far as I'm aware, the only way that someone can remove money from your account is if they have your PIN number. I've never had any trouble.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've done this for years. As far as I'm aware, the only way that someone can remove money from your account is if they have your PIN number. I've never had any trouble.

quite a few years ago i bought some lofting poles from a shop down south with my card.....poles arrived....then 4 days later over £500 quid went out of my bank acc'  on computor games ...high end tee shirts trainers..........had a word with the bank ...i got my money back and the bank got the police to follow up.....

Bank contacted me again in a couple of days and reported that the card details had been used by the youf oportunty kid working at the shop who took my order for the poles

the police rocked up and pulled him in Tout-de-suite...........

Giving your account and sort code is just like giving someone a cheque. Ie it gives them no more details than that and is therefore safe. I asked my bank the same question  a long time ago and their reply was it is safe.

Edited by Good shot?

The only thing someone can do if they have your name , address and sort and acc number is set you up for a fraudulent direct debit I’d of thought?

Given out my bank details for years and never had a problem.

In careful about what I chuck in recycling bins and always shred or data roll my name and address out.

25 minutes ago, garjo said:

In the last year I've been scammed twice by someone managing to get hold of bank a/c details. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Most likely using a clone machine in some petrol station or corner shop?

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

quite a few years ago i bought some lofting poles from a shop down south with my card.....poles arrived....then 4 days later over £500 quid went out of my bank acc'  on computor games ...high end tee shirts trainers..........had a word with the bank ...i got my money back and the bank got the police to follow up.....

Bank contacted me again in a couple of days and reported that the card details had been used by the youf oportunty kid working at the shop who took my order for the poles

the police rocked up and pulled him in Tout-de-suite...........

Many moons ago, I ordered a hunting DVD from a company called Zimbi

Books in South Africa. I paid using my debit card and of course, had to give out the 3 numbers. All was okay, the DVD arrived, but 3 weeks later, I went to pay for fuel using my debit card for the first time since the DVD order. The card was declined, but luckily enough I had a credit card to use. I contacted my bank who informed me that they had frozen my card owing to suspicious activity. I was asked if I had tried to puchase £800 worth of diamonds in South Africa, to which I said no. They replied that they thought that this was the case, and any 'unusual or 'large' amounts of money via my card, flags up on their system. 

I have had my card cloned once, using a 'hole in the wall' and entering my PIN. Within an hour, £300 was taken from my account in two separate transactions, and these were in Aberdeen! I did get reimbursed by the bank.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

plunder your account.

Thanks all.

In what context are you referring to ? If on here via PM when selling things, then I'm sure it's fine, as I and many others have done it countless times. I wouldn't however, put my bank details up on open sales post like one member has done earlier 🤷😳

IF you still use cheques the info is on every cheque that you issue.  The bank name, your name, the bank sort code, your A/C number.  Having this Info will not get you scammed.  It is no different to telling someone your name  and address. It doesn't give them access to your home and your wives knicker .draw. should there be one to access. But if you don't know or you think that it might, you are vulnerable to being scammed.  Because you aren't aware of how scammers work. More to follow. 

Hi

I would suggest that account number and sort code provides (perhaps needs account name too) adequate to set up a Directr Debit, which some banks (Natwest as I found out) will cancel but the 'other party' has enough details to just set up again for the following month!

Even though I instructed Natwest not to permit any further DD from said 'Utility Company (folded), each month they were able to set up a new one.......your bank may have a different 'policy'.

L

Edited by Loki
Spelling!

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

I had similar, bought something over the phone and shortly after had bought a pair of Nike Black trainers and 9 transactions for Next Directory all down south. And a few gambling on line accounts, in total just short of £1500.00 since then i have another account that is onlu used for on line purchases with minimal money in. 

I did receive all the money lost back, the banks just right it off as with the other millions lost due to fraud, they catch very few. 

5 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

plunder your account.    

Yes it is safe.
No they cannot 'plunder your account'.
I will post my bank details on here, you can then send me £100 and I will let you keep any amount that you subsequently plunder/take out ..

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

quite a few years ago i bought some lofting poles from a shop down south with my card <snip>

This is slight;y different as Ditchy gave said 'yoof' his card numder, expiry date, CSV code  and his name and address.
This allows any 'tea leaf' to make a non-secure payment (on-line or over the phone).

Like @manthingI give my details out on an almost daily basis, all people can do is 'pay in'.... @samboyand @garjocould be lucky though, and after they have paid me  £100 they could easily double or treble their money  :)

M. Bartlett
80-05-56

I have always had a separate bank account with a low amount of money in it that I have used for sales and purchases. I then transfer money in and out as required. I had a mate who had money taken out of his account and it turned out to be a bank employee 

32 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

I have always had a separate bank account with a low amount of money in it that I have used for sales and purchases. I then transfer money in and out as required. I had a mate who had money taken out of his account and it turned out to be a bank employee 

I do exactly that. I have an account that only has £500 or so in it. I use that account for all on line stuff, or in fact anywhere where my card details are required.

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

This is the way to go if your worried 

it has the added benefit of limiting irresponsible purchases of fishing and shooting stuff that you just have to get 😂😂😂

I never even thought about it , I always ask when buying stuff how do you want paid then i ask the wife to do it LOL 

I know with bank transfers you can see the money in your account nearly immediately 

One late late on the wife got a phone call on her mobile asking did you spend a couple of pounds on this here ?, then a couple of pounds there ?. After saying no the caller said hang up immediately and call your bank ask to speak to the fraud team she did and was told they try to take a couple of pounds out see if you notice it then go for bigger accounts , So they must monitor your bank accounts ?>

On 23/07/2023 at 19:43, Minky said:

IF you still use cheques the info is on every cheque that you issue.  The bank name, your name, the bank sort code, your A/C number.  Having this Info will not get you scammed.  It is no different to telling someone your name  and address. It doesn't give them access to your home and your wives knicker .draw. should there be one to access. But if you don't know or you think that it might, you are vulnerable to being scammed.  Because you aren't aware of how scammers work. More to follow. 

Following on from the above, recently a person who I have known for about 40 years has been scammed BIG TIME.  I am not talking behind his back because he wants people to know how he was scammed in the hope that others don't get scammed as he has.   He  was sucked in by a total load of nonsense which to him made compeling sense.  Anyone with two brain cells would see the fault lines straight away. BUT according to the police there are rakes of people falling for it.  It all seems to be linked possibly to  an organisation which he worked for some years ago.  He has some sort of dormant pension with them and it MIGHT be possible  that his personal details were gleaned when the system was hacked.  He had a phonecall from the police... not the police... he was told that a person had been arrested for fraudulently using his A/C.  He then proceeded to tell the fake police everything about his personal and financial life.  He was told to go to his building society and  withdraw £4500 CASH and a courier would collect it and take it to a forensic lab to have it checked.????  He then proceeded to GIVE this random courier £18500 CASH from a tin box under the bed jobby the extra day.  He worked doing cash jobs and had amassed this over a period of time. He was old school. Building society book.... no Internet online banking for him.... £22,000.. gone... given away... no reclaim from anywhere.  Total muppet. A laughing stock...... he knows it... only his own fault...... BUT I  FEEL VERY SORRY FOR HIM . Who hasn't made a silly mistake.  Who wouldn't feel totally lost if you had had £22,000 stolen from them.  The people who do this are heartless scum.  The irony of this is that is that he isn't stupid or thick, he's just an ordinary bloke that got drawn in like hypnosis.  There are two angles to this, being stolen from and giving stuff away.  He's resigned himself to things that he had planned won't now happen.  No one got physically hurt.  This was stupid because all of that squirreled away money doesn't exist.  Even if any of it could be proven and someone caught for it the cash didn't exist.  It's gone. Very sad.  Another aspect is that anyone who is self employed and works with cash is a fiddler and on the make.  The tax inspector told my brother that.  The tax inspector said we class you as guilty to start with you prove us wrong.