Lied to by NRW Ranger

WalkedUp

Today whilst out walking my boys and dogs on a reasonable hike a ranger’s pickup pulled over on the footpath and told me to put my dogs (at heel) on the lead. I explained that there was no requirement to do so as I was on a footpath and they were under close control. He said “You’re setting a bad example to people who see your dogs off lead and so let their dogs off too, which may then worry sheep.” I told him that I couldn’t be responsible for other people’s decisions or dogs, but if any sheep are being worried the land owner is welcome to call me to destroy the dogs. He said “I have no powers of enforcement, but if you could just put your dogs on the lead I would appreciate it”. I replied “There is nothing to enforce as I am within my lawful right”. He then said “No you are breaking the bylaws”. I asked which bylaws, he didn’t know but was very confident that I had broken them. Unsure of every bylaw in every area I apologised (some councils have bylaws banning dogs from cemeteries etc) I apologised and put the dogs on the lead. After a mile or so I came across council signs asking “please put your dog on a lead”… not you must, and no reference to any bylaws. When I got home I investigated and there are no such bylaws, it was pure fabrication by the ranger. I am pretty annoyed that the ranger was sent out to do a job, and either through a lack of training or poor judgement decided to openly lie to me. The question is how to suitably complain to the council? 

Note I have posted this in general rather than dog training because I know how to heel a dog and feel no need to debate or discuss the dog aspect, purely how to redress the misinformation from a public agent. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Today whilst out walking my boys and dogs on a reasonable hike a ranger’s pickup pulled over on the footpath and told me to put my dogs (at heel) on the lead. I explained that there was no requirement to do so as I was on a footpath and they were under close control. He said “You’re setting a bad example to people who see your dogs off lead and so let their dogs off too, which may then worry sheep.” I told him that I couldn’t be responsible for other people’s decisions or dogs, but if any sheep are being worried the land owner is welcome to call me to destroy the dogs. He said “I have no powers of enforcement, but if you could just put your dogs on the lead I would appreciate it”. I replied “There is nothing to enforce as I am within my lawful right”. He then said “No you are breaking the bylaws”. I asked which bylaws, he didn’t know but was very confident that I had broken them. Unsure of every bylaw in every area I apologised (some councils have bylaws banning dogs from cemeteries etc) I apologised and put the dogs on the lead. After a mile or so I came across council signs asking “please put your dog on a lead”… not you must, and no reference to any bylaws. When I got home I investigated and there are no such bylaws, it was pure fabrication by the ranger. I am pretty annoyed that the ranger was sent out to do a job, and either through a lack of training or poor judgement decided to openly lie to me. The question is how to suitably complain to the council? 

Note I have posted this in general rather than dog training because I know how to heel a dog and feel no need to debate or discuss the dog aspect, purely how to redress the misinformation from a public agent. 

You don't half seem to have some dramas for someone who has well behaved dogs.

Nearly everything you post on here relating to dogs revolves around some grief or other.

If you are sure there are no byelaws and your dogs aren't going to worry sheep tell them to mind their own buisness and ignore them.

I can see the logic in what appears to have been a polite request, while your dogs may be impeccably behaved animals belonging to Joe Public are often less so. Instead on insisting on "rights" I would have smiled, complied and if, after a day or two I still felt strongly enough, submitted a written formal complaint.

Years ago I may well have been a bit hot under the collar about it but now I hope, or at least try to have more respect for my blood pressure. Life really is too short 😉

Edited by Miserableolgit

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

If the OP feels so strongly about it, in his / her shoes, I would email the Chief Executive of the Council, also the Mayor and get hold of my local Councillor.

How I felt yesterday 😡

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Personally, I would just write it off as someone who wasn't very good at their job.

How I feel today 🤣

No way I would have put my Dogs on a lead, I love a good arguement and the guy was clearly out of his depth. He can politely ask and you can politely refuse. Had this situation once with a young Policeman, he stopped us as we walked along a public road, guns in bags and on our way home, and asked us what we had been doing. We informed him that we had been shooting vermin on a nearby farm with our Air Rifles to which he demanded our details because it was illegal to shoot anything with an Air Rifle!! After a heated discussion he spoke to someone on his radio who, I'm guessing, put him right but he still insisted on lecturing us about Gun laws etc. After he left I had to smile, he had left his radio on the wall next to where we had been standing, he lost that.

Methinks that in situations like this, you need to see both sides.

Most rangers are unpaid volunteers with little or no training other than in the basics of things like first aid and giving directions and advice to the general public.

Probably harassed by his supervisor telling him to get all dogs on leads(regardless of  the law) and the public letting 90% of dogs run wild with little control. He sees yet another dog off lead and asks yet again. Is then met with someone who can not only control his dog but knows a little about the countryside he's, flustered and begins bluffing and blustering instead of just going away. 

Sometimes, it's just easier for both sides to back down and leave it alone. Things escalate so quickly and strong words can lead to a loss of licence or liberty.

Put the dog on a lead, let the ranger go on his way happy and then let the dog off.

Most rangers are used to dealing with townies, walking the moors in high heels, pushing perambulators and wishing they were back home watching the latest edition of which z list celebrity tupping who live on whichever moron TV chanel is on next.

Surely as regular countryside users we're better than this?

I would be far to old to let it bother me if a ranger or whatever you call these wardens asked me politely to put me dog on a lead and I would comply without giving it a second thought , it would have to be for good reason as my dog haven't got a bad bone in his body and to me is well behaved , if the chap demanded and laid down the law then things might be different , I think you use a bit of common sence if you have to walk near livestock and slip the dog on the lead , this in turn look better to the land owner or other people who have got a dog that could run loose .

23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I would be far to old to let it bother me if a ranger or whatever you call these wardens asked me politely to put me dog on a lead and I would comply without giving it a second thought , it would have to be for good reason as my dog haven't got a bad bone in his body and to me is well behaved , if the chap demanded and laid down the law then things might be different , I think you use a bit of common sence if you have to walk near livestock and slip the dog on the lead , this in turn look better to the land owner or other people who have got a dog that could run loose .

With you, life’s too short for something like this to burn too many calories getting worked up

26 minutes ago, old'un said:

But he’s withdrawn/deleted that post.

I withdrew my comments primarily as I didn't want another disagreement, also my opinion was also possibly slightly harsh, although I do find it ironic that walked up appears to be on the receiving end of someone unjustly dictating how he should behave with a dog, something in my personal view, from walked ups past posts I believe he has done in the past, although in fairness to walked up I'm sure he will disagree, which I respect, I think it's fair to say walked up and myself have opposite views on how dogs should be managed particularly when it comes to dogs with behavioural issues. JDog has in the past joined in the disagreement and is obviously trying to stir things up.

Edited by 12gauge82
Auto correct