Favourite vehicle you’ve ever owned

Duckandswing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I most regret selling was my Mondeo ST220 3l V6 estate in performance blue, top spec inside with every extra, black leather recaro seats sat nav etc, it would effortlessly cruise through the brecons or hurl down the motorway.

I bought it from my old Boss at a bargain price and had it 4 years, sold it because it only did 18mpg round town which is what the wife was using it for while I went round the country in a Navara that was more economical lol.

I remember coming back from a holiday in Holland, wife,two kids and all the suitcases, early in the morning going down the motorway with them all asleep thinking how well it cruised at 150mph.

Do miss that V6 roar.

On 03/11/2023 at 17:45, Duckandswing said:

What cosworths did you have? I have always wanted one. Never been brave enough to do it.

I wanted a hilux but they didn’t have any available when I got the ranger during lockdown (it’s a company lease). Are they as good as people say? I’ve never heard a bad word about them.

Faultless for the 5 years I've had it.

10 hours ago, welsh1 said:

The one I most regret selling was my Mondeo ST220 3l V6 estate in performance blue, top spec inside with every extra, black leather recaro seats sat nav etc, it would effortlessly cruise through the brecons or hurl down the motorway.

I bought it from my old Boss at a bargain price and had it 4 years, sold it because it only did 18mpg round town which is what the wife was using it for while I went round the country in a Navara that was more economical lol.

Hi my son runs one of these. Loves it to bits. he needs the space inside for his giant model jet planes.

I remember coming back from a holiday in Holland, wife,two kids and all the suitcases, early in the morning going down the motorway with them all asleep thinking how well it cruised at 150mph.

Do miss that V6 roar.

Just been given a Merc EQB 4x4 as a courtesy car. First time in a fully electric motor and what a revelation! Quiet, smooth and quick enough to upset the Beemers. Regenerative braking is novel - take your foot off the throttle and it feels like the brakes are on. 200 mile range so they are slowly getting there. A lovely thing - but then for £58k it ought to be.

• 2 weeks later...

easy question to answer my 89 astra gte 16v.it was far from standard and the quickest n/a down the 1/4 mile.spent a small fortune on parts from sbd back in the day.did upset a lot of people many would just look the car over then i would leave them standing.police pulled me once in it for being too loud idiot told me it was my exhaust but in actual fact it was the throttle bodies.

But North Carolina were I’m at just passed a law were you don’t have to wear a helmet if you put a windshield on your SxS. So I’m going to put one on my Honda SxS to drive to work and back.  I never got a tag or put turn signals on my SxS because I can’t stand wearing helmets but now I don’t have to I’m going to pull the plug and get a tag for it. F03C3E66-6945-437E-A797-B7CDD7A6D746.jpeg.abe3e163e067ab7f09089ff7311df98e.jpeg

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

For long road trips my 64SS Impala.  It was a dream to dream 4643C202-6506-4C1A-B6D9-E465AA6B11D1.jpeg.8874d48699b8234f74e082d946e81099.jpeg69E4DA3D-E5E4-4388-8B6E-590254FA40F3.jpeg.d8fee682e0ae3eb19a15accf3345607e.jpeg46C08B92-305C-4D28-9DA5-A7F983729E12.jpeg.e77b48d52a1cd0c903faf29873701efb.jpeg

But my all time favorite to drive was my 78 LandRover.  I loved it.  I got so frustrated trying to keep it running a leak free that I sold it.  I still regret selling it. 8EFB9E28-B47D-4B38-8F91-86A1B7FA4DFB.jpeg.e6adb000b0793f12d4847368e575b2aa.jpegAC054E24-CC72-43E0-A9F5-FCDA1292432F.jpeg.2a299bda54c2ab42c3443a2911afc894.jpeg

Your Impala is fantastic! Green with envy.

A 94 Chevy G20 day van which was great when the kids were younger. Not economical at all though. I remember spending more on petrol in a day than I earned in a week a few times!

Hyundai pony pick up. An absolutely super little thing that used more oil than petrol, shorted the battery when you used the blower but it never let me down and you could get so much in the back it was untrue.

Bought a Hyundai pony x2 car because the pick up was awesome...the car wasn't!

Loving my 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ at the moment.

I had a MK7 Fiesta ST that I bought new when I was around 22 which was probably my favorite car. 

It handed like nothing else i'd ever driven and was reasonably quick with 200bhp and around 1200kg in weight. It was a ST3 model in spirit blue so it looked brilliant and had all of the options and extras and as it was a 16 plate it even had the revised suspension setup so it was a little easier to live with day to day. 

What I'll never forget though was the almost crushing anxiety that came with owning it. At the time they were being stolen in the hundreds so leaving it anywhere other than the private car park at home was a risk. It was also the first new car I had ever owned so every stone chip, every swirl mark and blemish was heart breaking. 

There was also the constant fear hanging over my head that any day a NIP or worse would drop through the letter box as a result of some spirited driving. It was far too easy to break into license losing territory and a prison sentence would have been easily achievable on a longer straight. 

A job change and company issued cars meant that it was left gathering dust and I sold it for around 70% of its cost new at 4 years old. If only I had known COVID and the resulting sky rocketing of used car prices was only 6 months away I'd have kept hold of it and likely sold it for what I bought it for. I'd also rediscovered shooting and country sports and a 3 door car with lowered sports suspension would have lasted all of 10 minutes. 

I was also given a 22 plate Audi A6 S-Line as a hire car for a few months while my company car was on order. That was a beautiful car and surprisingly good off road with the quattro system. The BIK tax was devastating given the £56k list price and high C02 emissions. It worked out around £1200 over 3 months in just tax alone. It was also relatively terrible on fuel, never once achieving over 35mpg from it's 2.0 TDI. 

In my younger days, when I was 19, I bought a Ford Capri Ghia. It was only a 2 years old and as far as I was concerned, it was the 'mutts nuts'. Going forward, the other vehicle was my Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4 which I bought new in 2008. It was excellent both on and off road. Sadly, I had to get shot of it 13 years later.

One of these bad boys 😄 A year newer than me, 803cc, all i ever replaced on it was a fan belt, it was nice to lean over and wipe the back window without leaving the driving seat, since then a 62 mk11 jag, a and couple of Landcruisers. but nothing pulled the birds like that old Austin.😏

a30.jpg.532409163e4cec134431d893933fde1a.jpg

On 04/11/2023 at 08:34, Mr.C said:

Moto Guzzi Le Mans MkII

Querky handling and never really happy till you got up near motorway speeds. Skinny tyres by today's standards and skinny seat by anyones standards. It had a riding position that you had to adapt to. Took it to the IOM in the early 90's and the sun shone all week. 

And

1965 Norton Dominator 650SS

Ground up build from boxes of bits. Slimline fb frame, fast and comfortable. Went all over on that bike and one of my missus's favourites too. 

Can't decide between the two. Both gone but I'd have either back now. 

I had a mk1 Le Mans. I absolutely loved it, but I cannot imagine riding it from East Sussex to the IOM. Not unless you could stay above 80 all the way to keep the weight off your wrists!