Suella Braverman sacked

JDog

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, mellors said:

And it looks like Cameron is coming back. 

Yup....to refill his pockets. 

I seem to remember that he was embroiled in some deal with an Australian outfit (green energy?) that went belly up to the tune of x..........x.....£ .....which I seem to recall was a figure put in UK A/c ledger in red ink.

Correct me if I am wrong.

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, she did

and unfortunately, she didn't.  I think she tried hard, but didn't make much progress.

• Rwanda - not yet decided, but looking like the Home Office will lose in court
  • Accommodation barge - done (very late) then almost immediately emptied for several weeks as found unsafe (contaminated water).  VERY few actually in there.
  • Migration/asylum waiting list - HUGE and not really reducing

Yes, she stood up and made the right noises - but wasn't able to carry that through to action.  Maybe not her fault ....... but that's how it is seen.

If the Government tries to take action on migration and ends up getting tied up and losing in their own court system then they are essentially powerless to enforce border control. 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If the Government tries to take action on migration and ends up getting tied up and losing in their own court system then they are essentially powerless to enforce border control. 

I believe it is this week we find out the court's verdict.  Press suggests not looking good for Gov't.

Just now, Jega said:

Pretty fair bet that Dave will be back in the top job before the next election .

Rishi only got the job after mad Liz nearly bankrupt the country as he was the least worst option .

Watch your back Rishi boy .

He can't now he's been made a Lord - well - at least not unless he cancels his peerage.

4 minutes ago, Jega said:

Pretty fair bet that Dave will be back in the top job before the next election .

Rishi only got the job after mad Liz nearly bankrupt the country as he was the least worst option .

Watch your back Rishi boy .

Can't believe that he will or even wants to, but he looked very comfortable and at ease, while stepping over the number 10 threshold this morning 😆

16 minutes ago, JKD said:

Can't believe that he will or even wants to, but he looked very comfortable and at ease, while stepping over the number 10 threshold this morning 😆

Tories need to loose the right wing faction, same as Labour need to loose the left wing. The future is in the centre ground and unfortunately the edges of politics make the most noise. 

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

Tories need to loose the right wing faction, same as Labour need to loose the left wing. The future is in the centre ground and unfortunately the edges of politics make the most noise. 

Labour need to lose Luke Pollard. Unfortunately, it’s looking like he’s gaining more ground in the party by the day. A grim future for shooting.

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Change the law, the Government makes the law, the courts only interpret it

The fly in the ointment is the European Court of Human Rights which literally exists in its own bubble and make it up as they go along.

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the problem here is that most people to want to be MPs (i.e. put themselves forward as candidates) are just the wrong sort of people for the job.  Bullying, preening, narcissistic, greedy, pushy, deceitful, devious, untruthful are words that could be applied to many MPs.

Most 'decent people' don't want 'the limelight', 'power over others', and whatever else drives people to be MPs. 

If people are good at what the do (and I mean very good, the top maybe 1% or less) they will make big money in business, industry, commerce, or the professions.  Some MPs have - often in the law (Starmer, Geoffrey Cox, 85 in total apparently) or the city (Sunak, Andrew Mitchell, John Redwood, Rees Mogg and no doubt several others).  In fact MPs get a good salary for a fairly cushy number - with fantastic expenses, pensions and perks, but it isn't the BIG money people at the top of business get.  Only a few get that from theiir political career from things. like after dinner speaking engagements, book deals etc.

There is old saying (a quote from George Bernard Shaw I believe) which goes "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach" - one might now add "and those that can't teach might try to become an MP"

hello, here is another one getting on the Tory gravy train, James Cracknell 🤔

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Change the law, the Government makes the law, the courts only interpret it

The fly in the ointment is the European Court of Human Rights which literally exists in its own bubble and make it up as they go along.

We adopted the Human Rights Act 1998, therefore that is our own law adopting those principals. 

We can’t then make a new law, that breaks the Human Rights Act law that we ourselves put in place. 

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the problem here is that most people to want to be MPs (i.e. put themselves forward as candidates) are just the wrong sort of people for the job.  Bullying, preening, narcissistic, greedy, pushy, deceitful, devious, untruthful are words that could be applied to many MPs.

Most 'decent people' don't want 'the limelight', 'power over others', and whatever else drives people to be MPs. 

If people are good at what the do (and I mean very good, the top maybe 1% or less) they will make big money in business, industry, commerce, or the professions.  Some MPs have - often in the law (Starmer, Geoffrey Cox, 85 in total apparently) or the city (Sunak, Andrew Mitchell, John Redwood, Rees Mogg and no doubt several others).  In fact MPs get a good salary for a fairly cushy number - with fantastic expenses, pensions and perks, but it isn't the BIG money people at the top of business get.  Only a few get that from theiir political career from things. like after dinner speaking engagements, book deals etc.

There is old saying (a quote from George Bernard Shaw I believe) which goes "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach" - one might now add "and those that can't teach might try to become an MP"

You don’t have to be anywhere near the top 1% to earn more than an MP. There waves would put them firmly in the top 10% of earners, but far from the top 1% who earn around £180k+ a year. 

Current MP salary £86,584.

It sounds great to someone on minimum or average earnings, but when you consider 1 in 10 people are earning around that and that’s taking into account the non working class at the other end of the scale there’s plenty of professionals on similar or better money. 

Lots of people self employed and consulting in as agency can make well above that. 

A nurse / social worker / OT working as a locum through an agency can make close to that working 37 hours a week (granted you lose benefits, sickness etc).

People consulting in IT or other fields should be well over (hence why they were so frustrated with IR35 and having to pay taxes). 

I bet you an MP would be working more than 37 hours a week, under constant media / public scrutiny and the job holds a lot more responsibility.

I guess that’s why we see people in the job who appear to either be complete idiots, or who are independently wealthy and are there for other reasons (good and bad).