Where are you going for your 2024 holidays.

Minky

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Aled said:

Dad is 80 and my brother is 50 a few days apart so a family gathering in Ibiza (not the party area!) this summer for us. As others have mentioned we have several good places to visit on our doorstep, so days out to Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion & Powys also on the cards. 

Sounds great. Where are you staying? Let me know if you want any tips for restaurants or things to do. I spent a very happy few years in the quiet north east of the island. My son went to school there and my daughter was born there.

4 hours ago, markm said:

Les 2 Alpes in a month for a ski holiday.  

The boss wants to do a tour of Italy in the summer travelling around via train.  

So I take it you’re doing a tour round Italy via train 🤦🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

15 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Some members live in amazing parts of the country, and a day out, a weekend whatever it may be is good for the soul.
Shaun4860 mentions he is staying put, but as he says he is in Northumbria a glorious place, a holiday/ break is what you make it, i have spent money on some holidays i have regretted, yet a simple long weekend with my kids and grandkids just walking on beaches and chilling round an open fire gave memories that will last forever.

Life should be a glass half full.

Totally agree, where I live, a lot come to enjoy the beauty it offers for their holidays, I have it all the time, I have no desire to go anywhere else, apart from anything I love my own bed!

10 hours ago, Munzy said:

Sounds great. Where are you staying? Let me know if you want any tips for restaurants or things to do. I spent a very happy few years in the quiet north east of the island. My son went to school there and my daughter was born there.

Thanks Munzy, much appreciated. We've booked an apartment in San Antonio bay its 15 minutes away from brothers place, plan to hire some bikes or scooters to visit where he's based. 

19 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Some really nice holidays mentioned here.

Me? Not really going anywhere but I live in Northumberland so may potter around here.

Would love to go to the USA but health and mobility problems and insurance costs will have put paid to that.

NW500 is still on the cards at some point, but not during school holidays 

:shaun:

You need to time that well, it was not school time but still very congested with a snail trail of them in slow moving motor homes on narrow roads. Some villages want the route amended to avoid them now apparently?

2 hours ago, button said:

Totally agree, where I live, a lot come to enjoy the beauty it offers for their holidays, I have it all the time, I have no desire to go anywhere else, apart from anything I love my own bed!

Not knowing your age , do you think this is a age thing when it come to staying around your own surroundings ? , like you I love where I am and have got no desire to go anywhere else , especially abroad , just sitting around in crowded airports would put me off.

This is how I am now , but there was a time when I had the urge to visit other places in the UK and abroad , some I liked and others were ok but didn't warrant the time and the cost to go there in the first place , now I am in the late 70s I just want contentment if I go anywhere and I home in on the places that I know I will not be disappointed , quite a simple day really , a gentle walk around the coastal paths and the beaches , or around the nature trails around the Broads , then have a nice fish and chip dinner to finish my day off while sitting on a bench that over look the sea, this would not suit everyone but now I am in my twilight years it suit me just fine .  A t b    MM

27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Not knowing your age , do you think this is a age thing when it come to staying around your own surroundings ? , like you I love where I am and have got no desire to go anywhere else , especially abroad , just sitting around in crowded airports would put me off.

About 29 in my case.

Between travelling for work and visiting distributed family members in Europe, RSA and North America, 'holidays' as such just aren't on my agenda.  Definitely not relaxing in the least to spend a fortnight on the Costa Packet with a bunch of other charming people who think shouting is akin to speaking another language.

Went away Boxing Day to Correlejo Fuertaventura came back first week 2024. Got a coach trip booked in July few days including Hampton Court palace garden festival and Stratford upon Avon. October some beach resort Fethiye in Turkey with children and grandchildren for a week. Then Boxing Day Egypt. Hopefully get over the lakes for a weekend or two. 

Edited by figgy

Did 18 days in Barbados over Christmas / New Year with the family, Cornwall for a long weekend with Mrs and friends in Feb,  a week with mate in Umbria in May, fishing in Canada for a week in July with the shooting lot and cruise with family end of August (East Med). That’s the list so far…

A week painting the outside of mine and my upstairs neighbour's flats. May/June time (subject to weather).

On 21/01/2024 at 14:21, .357shooter said:

walton on the naze for an easter break.go there every year to try and find a meg tooth.no joy so far.

You need to go to Jaywick to find Meg with one tooth.

I know my other half would like to get away for a holiday every now and again but I also know that she, like me, tends to find arranging, packing, getting there and after a short space of time doing the same in reverse as tedious and stressful as me. Add to that that me being in remission means travel insurance can be iffy, arranging cover to look after our numerous dogs, horses etc and then worrying about them and things at home generally neither of us tends to find going away particularly relaxing. I feel we did our travelling before the kids came along so am quite content to have days out around this and surrounding counties. 

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

This is how I am now , but there was a time when I had the urge to visit other places in the UK and abroad , some I liked and others were ok but didn't warrant the time and the cost to go there in the first place , now I am in the late 70s I just want contentment if I go anywhere and I home in on the places that I know I will not be disappointed , quite a simple day really , a gentle walk around the coastal paths and the beaches , or around the nature trails around the Broads , then have a nice fish and chip dinner to finish my day off while sitting on a bench that over look the sea, this would not suit everyone but now I am in my twilight years it suit me just fine .  A t b    MM

Still in my 40s

Guess I am just very contented

7 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

I know my other half would like to get away for a holiday every now and again but I also know that she, like me, tends to find arranging, packing, getting there and after a short space of time doing the same in reverse as tedious and stressful as me. Add to that that me being in remission means travel insurance can be iffy, arranging cover to look after our numerous dogs, horses etc and then worrying about them and things at home generally neither of us tends to find going away particularly relaxing. I feel we did our travelling before the kids came along so am quite content to have days out around this and surrounding counties. 

I hear you. I know I’m on a clock; firstly with the kids; youngest is 17 oldest 22 and it won’t be long before they peel off for good. Lay on a decent holiday though and they come, for now, but this won’t last. Secondly, I’ve see what happens with age and ill health (principally travel insurance) and there will be a point when going abroad becomes difficult and then impossible. 

In Blackpool now for a week with youngest son and family, Faro for a week with oldest son and daughter in law mid February, Alanya  mid May For 5 weeks with 2 grand children for first 2 weeks, Alanya for 5 weeks August to end September, France for a week in October at oldest sons chatto ( old farm house under renovation ). Apart from that several trips to Heasham to see oldest daughter, apart from that Decorating the bungalow, and if I can fit it in SOME PIGEON SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!! 

12 hours ago, Mungler said:

I hear you. I know I’m on a clock; firstly with the kids; youngest is 17 oldest 22 and it won’t be long before they peel off for good. Lay on a decent holiday though and they come, for now, but this won’t last. Secondly, I’ve see what happens with age and ill health (principally travel insurance) and there will be a point when going abroad becomes difficult and then impossible. 

Mungler my children are up and parents still alive so my wife and I spend holidays with both and then also get away on our own. 
Yours will probably do the same when they have children, built in childcare on holiday 😂 

We’ve done with going overseas and now holiday mostly in northern England and Scotland. Mainly due to the wildlife, fishing, scenery and less people. Booked Northumberland in March, Mull in June and Arran in October. The whisky and gin distilleries have nothing to do with it🙂

On 21/01/2024 at 15:52, Pushandpull said:

Members who can not afford to go anywhere beyond an occasional day out are hardly likely to post on this topic. The sample is a little biased.

Although obvious that fact never entered my mind.  personally I can afford stuff and I like going but Where;?  What I find a task and a pain is the OUT of holiday part....  The decision , The planning. The admin, The packing, The organising.  Then the getting to Gatwick... Assuming that trains run.  The messing about in Gatwick, The waiting around.  The transfer, The retrieval of luggage from the coach, The booking in ,  The settling in,  The linking up with the hotel web link to organise/Book meals /sunbeds etc.  Then the holiday can begin.  I like the holiday part but then on the return you've got the same.  Generally I like most of it but It would be nice to stay in this country BUT. There is a similar amount of organising AND There is no guarantee that we may even see the sun through the clouds and rain.  I don't see the point of having a holiday here and siting about dressed up like it's mid winter or soaked to the skin and paying more for the privilege than going to Spain, Greece or Turkey and paying a LOT more for the priviledge of holidaying in the UK.  At least if it rains out there, it is warm and you soon dry off and aren't shivering cold. Last year we went to Maderia and whilst I had gone into Funchal there was a storm shower.  The rain was monsoon but it was warm.  I was wearing a pair of shorts, A pair of black sandals and carrying an umbrella.  The rain was coming down so hard that It was bouncing up to over my knees.  soon the rain was gone, the sun was out and within ten minutes I was completely dry.  Roll on global warming.

This was the first place that we went to in Turkey. we came over from Rhodes town on a hydrofoil day trip.  This included a coach trip around the local countryside and places.  This was a bit of a leap of faith for us to somewhere like Turkey with 3 of the girls. I seem to remember that the coach stopped for lunch at a cafe /restaurant in nearby Icmeler.  The place was adorned with towels fixed to the roof of English football teams. A simple English breakfast type of lunch. Then we were let loose for an hour or three to wander the streets of Marmaris.  A bit of an experience with 4 teenage Blonde girls. I told them to keep in tight and not to wander off going into the clothes shops on their own. We did have to go back and retrieve one of them from a dress shop.  When we came to go back to Rhodes the hydrofoil wasn't there but the friendly turks sorted it out a boat to take us over to Rhodes. Quite a nice place.  On a different holiday the wife and I docked into Marmaris on a med cruise and did an off road tour of the local mountains etc.  A nice place. Very scenic and hospitable.

On 21/01/2024 at 17:50, Minky said:

My best holiday was a fortnight apple picking with the wife in a local orchard.  Cost  nothing,  got a good tan, earnt some money,  peaceful and quiet,  good time with the wife and  no hastle traveling and stressing at airports.

That's my day job and probably why we haven't been away since covid, it's just so nice here.

Missus would like a holiday but I'm not fussed and struggling to come up with somewhere which is the main reason for reading this thread in the first place.

Like Australia but it is a long way and we have been there many times, could go again.

I like the idea of renting a big house somewhere in UK or even Europe and taking son and his family. Fishing would be nice, place with a BBQ etc.

Still thinking.