5,520 miles. Went for a drive with the wife.

NoBodyImportant

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I always enjoy the posts by NoBodyImportant, but none more so than this. Brilliant photos and the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Yes, one of the 'must read' contributors.

Thanks you all for the kind words.  I honestly can’t believe I have few over this part of the world a 100 times and never drove through them.   Seems to be that we find our way to the resorts or big cities and completely forget about the 20 or so fly over states we bypassed to get there.  I won’t to outfit a van to have a little more comfortable trip.  The wife and I our planing a Canadian trip next year (with a surprise moose hunt that the wife doesn’t know of yet) and I’m not sure if I want to do it in a truck.  

The things that got me was the darkness of the desert.  Away from the light pollution of the cities your eyes will  slowly adjust to the point where when you look up you feel like your floating in space.  The second most eerie thing is the loneliness is bone chilling.  Some of the dirt state roads we drove for a 5-6 hours and never saw another person or mad made object.  Out at my farm it’s about a mile to my neighbors and you feel alone.  But you can see the lights or hear a chainsaw running and you know that humans are close by.  The isolation is almost panic inducing 

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Thanks you all for the kind words.  I honestly can’t believe I have few over this part of the world a 100 times and never drove through them.   Seems to be that we find our way to the resorts or big cities and completely forget about the 20 or so fly over states we bypassed to get there.  I won’t to outfit a van to have a little more comfortable trip.  The wife and I our planing a Canadian trip next year (with a surprise moose hunt that the wife doesn’t know of yet) and I’m not sure if I want to do it in a truck.  

That would be amazing and hopefully we would be able share your trip as well with your look forward to write up's and photos to match :good:

Have you ever been to the U K ?      MM

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

........The wife and I our planing a Canadian trip next year (with a surprise moose hunt that the wife doesn’t know of yet) and I’m not sure if I want to do it in a truck.  

My wife and I did the Rocky Mountaineer Gold Leaf experience from Jasper to Vancouver in 2019.

High quality rail travel, superb food and unlimited booze!

Thoroughly recommended. The scenery and wildife was outstanding. Saw plenty of elk, some moose, but, alas, no bears.

I envy you your road trip. I couldn't do that nowadays, but used to enjoy long drives through Western Europe.

On 18/04/2024 at 08:13, Lloyd90 said:

My wife and I did 11 weeks touring the USA before we got married :) loved every minute of it! 

That was a very good start to what lies ahead in your married life , well done you and your good lady , we done nearly three weeks on the Greyhound couches , fantastic scenery along the West coast but found the traveling a bit tiring and I wasn't even driving :lol:

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That was a very good start to what lies ahead in your married life , well done you and your good lady , we done nearly three weeks on the Greyhound couches , fantastic scenery along the West coast but found the traveling a bit tiring and I wasn't even driving :lol:

Thank you, it was brilliant :) 

Love America. Something about it. I suppose as we share a common language and therefore share lots of things across music, media and film industry a lot of places there are recognisable so spark an immediate interest, which you don’t get when visiting European places… at least that’s what I felt anyway. 

Yellow lines are flights and white lines driving. 

IMG_1725.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2024 at 04:08, marsh man said:

That would be amazing and hopefully we would be able share your trip as well with your look forward to write up's and photos to match :good:

Have you ever been to the U K ?      MM

No not technically.  Turks and Caicos  was British if i remember correctly. So not sure if that counts. I have looked into it a few times but the US dollar doesn’t go far over there.  So whenever we are looking at long out of country trips we normally end up in South/ Central America. One day I will end up over there for a Castle tour.  My ancestral home is Abercynrig in Brecknockshire Wales.( though my line of Aubrey sold it to an Aubrey cousin in the late 1500s) so I will go there for sure to see it before I die.  But when I looked into it years ago the home wasn’t open for tours.  So eventually I’d like to get a hold of the owners and email them to see if I can set it up.  Its not like I know the owners but I’m hoping they would be kind enough to at least let me see the outside of the place if I can show my ancestral paperwork. From the paperwork I have that area of wales was given to a man named Sir Reginald Aubrey. He was born in Normandy but his grandson son was born there in Wales in 1095 and the Aubrey family lived there until the 1500s when my line sold it to a cousin (still Aubrey tho). And in 1632 a man named John Aubrey was born in Virginia making him the first Aubrey born in America.   I haven’t found documentation  but I’m assuming by the the fact  Reginald Aubrey Senior was born in Normandy in 1030 and his grandson was born in Abercynrig in 1095 that my family played apart in the 1066 invasion and got that land as payment of sorts. (Just a guess) but I have to seen the place before I die. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant