Good for the pigeons perhaps.

JDog

For the last few months after shooting sessions I have had pains in my neck just under my cranium. The correlation has been exact so to me the cause was definite - the effect of the jolt of shots fired.

Rarely do I venture anywhere near a hospital but I felt that this was important so I made appointments to have MRI scans last week. The first scanner I was introduced to was obviously used for mammograms and I had to explain that my name was JOHN not JOAN but nevertheless that machine was used. The second machine was a proper scanner. The results seem to be that I have damaged a membrane in my neck as a direct result of all of those wayward shots over the last fifty years or so. This can only get worse.

My options seem to be:

1. Give up shooting altogether. This would crucify me as all I have ever been interested in has been shooting and s*x and I am already down to five times a week for the latter due to my advancing years.

2. Continue to use my 12 bore but use much lighter cartridges. For years I have used nothing else but Imperial game in 26 gram until I discovered Hull Superfasts in 29 gram. Perhaps it is the latter causing the problem.

3. Try to use my 20 bore with even lighter cartridges but as I cannot hit a cow's posterior with a banjo with that gun I could soon become the laughing stock amongst those who are unfortunate enough to shoot with me.

Unless there any any Neurosurgeons in the dark recesses of PW I realise that medical advice will be limited but some humorous encouragement might lift my spirits. Tiddly Winks and Snakes and Ladders are not good options.

Sorry to hear that , just train your butler to shoot under your instruction , at least you will get out like that .

If you have to give up shooting that would leave far too much time for even more sex which I fear could put you in a early grave.

Dispense with the 20 gauge if you cannot shoot with it .

Use a lighter load soft shooting cartridge , despite your jesting we know you can shoot and I am sure you could use a 24 gram load and put it in the right place at sensible ranges .

Perhaps invest in a heavier gun , or dare I say get yourself a gas operated semi auto for your pigeon shooting , you would certainly notice the difference recoil wise .

Or try a semi auto

That was my first thought. I know another shooter who suffered quite a bad neck injury and although even the semi auto causes him some pain it`s far more bearable than shooting an o&u.

I would think most semis would cycle a 26gm load and the recoil should be negligible.

Edit: or as fenboy suggested, a heavier gun. Maybe some lead in the stock of your current gun if it doesn`t upset the balance too much. My MK38 has extra weight in the stock and it soaks up recoil because of it.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

When I had a problem with my neck I found it was more the weight of the gun rather than the recoil that aggravated it. I'm sure there are plenty on here who would happily lend you a gun to try (but not me, nothing worse that being shown up by someone using your gun) to see if a change of gun or a change of cartridge will help

Sorry to hear about the neck JDog, of your three options number 2 seems the more sensible for now, buy some of your old imperial game.

Option 1 is not really an option at all.

Next time we are out together i will bring my gas operated auto for you try!

Take it easy fella.

Sorry to hear about your situation JDog, I suffered with something very similar couple of years ago.. I had issues with my vertebrae c1 to c7 causing the pain you explain and reduced mobility.

I booked a course of chiropractic sessions focusing on my neck and posture and over a period of months about 4 the pains had gone and mobility was back to normal..

I would never have believed it would work ... but hey when it means you can no longer do things you love .... you try anything..

It could be worth a shot :-) pun intended hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

Good luck

Terry

?....Unless there any any Neurosurgeons in the dark recesses of PW I realise that medical advice will be limited but some humorous encouragement might lift my spirits. Tiddly Winks and Snakes and Ladders are not good options.

My buddy isn't a neurosurgeon, he's a neuropathologist, but you're not quite ready to meet him, yet!

Sorry to hear about your situation JDog, I suffered with something very similar couple of years ago.. I had issues with my vertebrae c1 to c7 causing the pain you explain and reduced mobility.

I booked a course of chiropractic sessions focusing on my neck and posture and over a period of months about 4 the pains had gone and mobility was back to normal..

I would never have believed it would work ... but hey when it means you can no longer do things you love .... you try anything..

It could be worth a shot :-) pun intended

hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif

Good luck

Terry

A most interesting post JDog, along with the reply above. Very coincidently I am currently visiting a chiropractor for the very same symptoms. Also complicated by Golfer's Elbow in my left elbow. It is quite debilitating having an injury such as this so I hope yours gets better. My chiropractor has also does acupuncture and so I've tried that too. I think it is getting better but I fear a long process.

Oh, and I have been using a semi auto, no disclosures about s*x!!

Do you get the pain all the time or only for a while after shooting? If it's not all the time I'd just live with it and carry on doing what I love. That's presuming you're not on the verge of paralysing yourself from the neck down if you carry on.

If you've been shooting for 50 years and it's taken this long to affect you, how much worse is it going to get before you're too senile to put the cartridges in the right end of the barrels and they take your licence off you? :)

How's your gun mount? Do you suffer from poor mounting (gun not s*x) regularly, causing the stock to kick away from your shoulder? If so you might help yourself out a lot by concentrating on a tight mount to the shoulder reducing those times it happens.

Those are just a couple of things that sprang to my mind when I read your post, might be a thought. Sad to hear you're having trouble mate you seem like a top bloke and I enjoy your sense of humour and write-ups!