Gun returned "broken"

eddoakley

Sold a Brocock contour at the weekend- well, swapped for a Nitesite.

Had it brought back this evening with the owner telling me the barrel had "fallen off".

It was sat there on the counter when I walked in and I was caught a little on the hop so didn't really check it over very much.

He told me that "3 independent people have checked it and said it's been repaired and bodged before"

After he and some other customers had left I got chance to have a look. He had told me that the barrel had been glued in because it had been broken. He also mentioned something about trying to remove the mod.

On closer inspection there are definite tool marks on the mod adapter- nothing huge but definitely there and they weren't before.

The barrel is pressed in and Loctite on there is as far as I'm concerned normal.

He has also fitted some sling studs rather badly, ruining a previously immaculate stock.

I am 99% sure that he has for some reason had a pair of pliers or grips on the mod adapter and dislodged the barrel.

What would people suggest?

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add that all of my guns are sold with a 3 month guarantee.

I'm thinking that I will offer to fit new o rings and Loctite the barrel back in but refuse a refund on the basis that the tool marks and sling studs have invalidated any guarantee/warranty

Edd

I'm thinking that I will offer to fit new o rings and Loctite the barrel back in but refuse a refund on the basis that the tool marks and sling studs have invalidated any guarantee/warranty

Edd

i think that is fair....................a lot of hard bittern traders would take one look at it..and tell him the truth...the trouble is you need to keep trading...not having people slag you off....

ask him if he wants you to clean up the unsightly tool marks as well :hmm:

Offer to take it back and return his Nitesite - mention to him that it might have some marks on it which weren't there before.

I would be honest with him - I would certainly point out the marks which had appeared. Your offer of fixing it seems generous.

Edited by Gordon R

For your business, just refund him without comment and take it on the chin. An awful lot of very successful retailers in the states have this policy, and although their generosity will be abused from time to time, people are much happier to shop somewhere where they know that if there's a problem it will just be taken care of without the Spanish Inquisition that is so typical from UK retailers.

I would give him the Nitesite back, fix the gun and sell it to someone else and look for a Nitesite elsewhere.

Its my experience that people who are untrustworthy remain that way, I wouldn't want anything more to do with him.

Yep , it might stick in your throat, but this is the best way to deal with the matter.

I'd thank him for his custom but return his sight and take back the gun, otherwise once fixed he'll do something else and want that fixed.

If you do repair the gun point out very carefully what he's done and that the "bodge" was done by the factory his independent experts should know that and also told him not to try and fix things (remove mod with grips) he didn't know about.

Edd

Precisely what I would do.

webber

Thanks guys.

I'm torn between just taking it back and telling him to do one.

I have taken stuff back in the past that I was sure I shouldn't have but as mentioned here it's all about business and maintaining a good reputation. However there surely has to be a point where someone is extracting the urine?

I'm considering offering to take it back as long as he repairs the stock and other tool marks, pointing out that I am aware of the fact that he has used tools to remove the barrel. After all it's nowhere near the condition in which I sold it.

I might keep both options open and see what his attitude is like when I ask him to come in.

Will update.

Edd

The other issue is proof, do you have pictures that show the mod with no marks etc.

I only say this as in my line of work we have to document everything collected in case the customer claims for damage. The times we get stitched up are when the drivers haven't spotted damage and photographed it.

With no proof it's better to suck it up

Hell probably slag you off anyway. Thats always been my experience with customers. They always wanted a cheaper deal and when I sent the horses home if they werent as quiet as a police horse, jumping 6ft and doing Grand Prix dressage it was my fault for doing a bad job. If something went wrong Id be the first one they called even months/years later and expect me to sort it for free. The customer is not always right and is quite often a ****! Take it back but charge a restocking fee - enough to fill the bodged swivel holes and tool marks - and hope he goes to your competitor and messes them around.

He will argue that the goods are not fit for purpose as is his statutory right. This right is in addition to the warranty you offer. There will be a burden of proof upon you, as a trade seller, to prove that the goods were of merchantable quality at time of sale. This may prove difficult for you without 'before and after' pictures of the goods in question. In the absence of such proof, it is likely the law will be on his side and you will to be liable for repair or refund.

Well that didn't go so well!!

Customers son came into the shop 1st and we had a quick chat. I explained my thoughts and said I would need to discuss with his father.

The father came in and quite quickly I said "I have just been discussing why I can't offer a full refund at this stage".

With that he walked out telling me that he was going the the police.

Wouldn't listen to any suggestions.

Returned shortly after to collect his gun and tell me that he is "taking it to court".

I remained calm and polite throughout. Between his name calling and threats to ruin my business if I didn't give him what he wanted I managed to tell him my suggestions and said that if he repaired the stock I would give a full refund.

He dismissed that or any other option and insisted that as a BASC member he will take me to court and win because the gun is unsafe. He suggested that I had made the tool marks.

As I said I remained calm and polite, emailed firearms straight away as no doubt they will be involved at some stage. Also making someone aware of my offers may help when we get to the next stage (whatever that may be?)

I don't like to disagree with customers, or anyone else for that matter but just didn't feel that I could or should refund him for something that I believe he has broken. That's before I consider the damaged stock.

Anyway we will see what comes of it.

Anyone wish to offer any advice on where I might stand legally taking into account his alterations to the gun?

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Sounds like someone is trying to work one over on you Edd

That's how I feel.

My shop has been open for about 18 months and I have had 5 guns returned, 3 by these two people. The others were refunded or exchanged without hesitation but this one was just too much.

The son has just left a bad review on face ache but that has given me the opportunity to publicly offer the refund if he repairs the damage to the stock.

I will see how it goes.

Edd

For your business, just refund him without comment and take it on the chin. An awful lot of very successful retailers in the states have this policy, and although their generosity will be abused from time to time, people are much happier to shop somewhere where they know that if there's a problem it will just be taken care of without the Spanish Inquisition that is so typical from UK retailers.

Yep I would agree with this, the Americans put us to shame with their level of customer service. Nearly all accessories gun related and knives etc made in the US have a lifetime guarantee regardless of what you do to break the item. That amount of piece of mind makes those companies very successful even if the occasional person takes advantage.