Dieting and Hungry ALL THE TIME

lord_seagrave

Chaps,

As some of you might recall, I'm trying to shift a bit of weight and improve my fitness. I'm 36 and, although I'm not fat, I was out of shape and had grown an inch or two around the middle over the last three years. Basically, I have a big appetite and had never really tried to moderate what I ate. I also LOVE feeling full - loads of mashed potato or bread and butter, and second helpings of everything. I just really enjoy that sensation of having eaten to my absolute capacity!

However, by eating less and doing more, I have shed some of my extra padding, such that some of my good suits are starting to almost fit again! I run a bit now, too.

However, the hunger is really hard to cope with. I am always bleddy hungry! What do you chaps do to stave off the cravings?

It's all very well resisting, but Lady Seagrave says that I always look angry these days and I'm sure it's because my body is trying to eat itself! :lol:

I eat a bit of porridge with honey in the morning. A small salad lunch or soup, and then one sensibly-sized portion of dinner. I still drink plenty of booze, but try to stick to wine and spirits rather than beer.

LS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why a small salad lunch? If you're eating healthy eat as much as you want! Go for salad bulked with celery, sweet peppers, a few cold potatoes, salmon or tuna, cold chicken. Go easy on the dressings though.

You can fill up and still be healthy. Well done for making the effort, its easier now than when you hit 50!

Greens such as broccoli, celery etc depending on your taste can be eaten to fill you up without adding calories to your diet. Similarly, pickled cabbage, sauerkraut etc if you taste buds go that direction. A salad roll made up of lettuce leaves instead of bread and filled with bell pepper, other leaves, onion, tomato etc is another option.

Cut down on carbs, stop with the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Increase protein and don't worry too much about fat content. If you must have some bread make it wholewheat or multigrain, potatoes either have them cold or replace with sweet potatoes, pasta again wholewheat is better if you must have some.

I've dropped 5 or 6kg following this plan which might not sound a whole lot but I was at about 75kg when I started and at 5' 11" that wasn't huge to start with.

Do be prepared for the headaches though when you cut down the carbs. For about 2 weeks I had them every morning, but apparently it's very common and they do stop.

As said muesli or granola are very filling, just watch the sugar content. Feel free to indulge in whatever milk you prefer though. As long as you're cutting down the carbs there's no need to have skimmed milk.

Snacks, try nuts or berries.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

The ONLY thing that will matter when trying to either lose weight or gain weight is calorie intake.

Now eating unprocessed high volume low calorie food is a nice trick, because some people find it better to feel full without eating lots of calories.

Your body composition will be down to weight training and also eating enough protein, so you don't end up skinny fat, where your slim but still have a pot belly etc.

Other tricks to feel more full, chew gum, drink black coffee, diet soft drinks, and eating foods high in fibre and protein are tricks that lots of people use to feel fuller for longer.

Reading what you have for breakfast and lunch they sound very low protein, and whilst I'm not advocating a super high protein steroid head diet, the vast majority of people would benefit from atleast about 0.8grams per pound of lean body mass.

So a 200lb man with 15% body fat should get around 136g minimum. Now people training would likely see a benefit from more than this, although I can't see any reason someone not chemically enhanced would ever go over around 200g a day.

Cut down on carbs, stop with the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Increase protein and don't worry too much about fat content. If you must have some bread make it wholewheat or multigrain, potatoes either have them cold or replace with sweet potatoes, pasta again wholewheat is better if you must have some.

I've dropped 5 or 6kg following this plan which might not sound a whole lot but I was at about 75kg when I started and at 5' 11" that wasn't huge to start with.

Do be prepared for the headaches though when you cut down the carbs. For about 2 weeks I had them every morning, but apparently it's very common and they do stop.

As said muesli or granola are very filling, just watch the sugar content. Feel free to indulge in whatever milk you prefer though. As long as you're cutting down the carbs there's no need to have skimmed milk.

Snacks, try nuts or berries.

Cutting out carbs is a short fix, but if people learn to eat that way then they're screwed when they start eating carbs again.

Better to learn more about managing your calorie intake, then you can enjoy carbs along with lots of other nice foods and no reason to be over weight.

Losing weight is dependent on the neck upwards.

If you're overweight, you're eating too much.

Maybe not too much for your partner / cousin / neighbour etc - but too much for your metabolism.

I have a wife who outdrinks me, out eats me and does 10% of the exercise I do - and wears the same size 501's that she wore 40 years ago. Life ain't fair.

I have enjoyed too much good wine and too many good meals with the wrong metabolism, but I reached a point and said "what am I doing wrong"?

6 months later and on my way to 2 stone lighter - no alcohol 4 days a week (unless on holiday) and I eat only one meal a day. You'll be surprised how easy it is - once the neck-upwards part gets in gear.

Not totally PC - but no fat person ever came out of a concentration camp?

I sincerely wish you good luck with your endeavours. It ain't easy - but the end result (for how you feel) is definitely worth it.

Edited by Eyefor

Its hard if youve gotten used to eating large portions and feeling full. Theres a chemical that your body produces to tell your body its full and to stop eating. Once your body starts to remember that these signals are there youll find that feeling of being hungry all the time goes away. I spent a lot of time eating out of boredom the last 6 months and now Im back working its all about training myself out of the bad habits I had gotten into. Black coffee or espresso is good for me it perks me up, cuts that hungry feeling and speeds up my metabolism. The same if you can get a few pints of water down your neck in between meals it makes you feel full, I cant stand our tap water so I have squash but its nearly the same thing.

How tall and heavy are you ?

I'm 35 years old , 6' tall and 16 1/2 st but my BMI is 30 .

I've talked about loosing weight but my parents tell me not to as I looked really ill at 12 st 5 years ago.

My Mrs eats for England , Scotland and Wales lol and she feeds me but she's only a size 10 and toned everywhere.

Granted she's 24 but carrying our second baby and still not fat.

I have a slightly similar problem. As you get older, you need less food. I'm 60, BMI of 24.x, so not overweight, but nearly so. My weight crept up slowly after 40, and I did get to a BMI of about 27, but after a 'warning' from the medical side, have tried to get it down. I have struggled to keep my weight down and eat healthily, drink moderately, don't smoke, fairly active etc., but keeping net calories (which is how I have managed to loose about 20 lbs) to 2000 to 2100 keeps the weight at acceptable levels, but I do feel hungry a large part of the time. Like you, I used to eat well and 'fill up' at a hearty meal.

Various things I have done which I think have helped;

• Keep sugar as low as possible; I don't 'add' sugar and avoid sweets, cakes, biscuits etc. (almost) completely
  • Fill up on veggies; I like my veggies and cook them in water, or have raw (i.e. avoid extra butter and oils) and eat plenty
  • Eat plenty of salads; Love salads and make my own with either a little olive oil dressing or a low fat mayo type dressing
  • Keep meat lean; I cut off all but a tiny bit of fat, but otherwise eat a sensible quantity - you need protein
  • Go easy on dairy products; I still use real butter, cream, cheese, but in strict moderation. I never touch margarines/low cal 'spreads' as I don't like them
  • Go easy on carbs; I do eat them, but in moderation (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice)
  • Don't have takeaways; I virtually NEVER now have a takeaway (less than once a year)
  • Avoid 'ready made' foods (e.g. pizza, pies, curries etc.) - I love them all, but now make my own and use lean/fresh ingredients
  • I eat a light breakfast, a very light lunch (such as an apple or sometimes miss it out altogether), and a decent evening meal, taken quite early.
  • Drink plenty of (non alcoholic) drinks - tea, coffee, water, but don't drink fizzy drinks such as cola, fizzy orange/lemon or fruit juices (v high in sugars)
  • Only have 'puds' as a treat at weekends. They are high in fats and sugars.
  • Keep alcohol in strict moderation as it is very high in calories (all types)

Good luck, it isn't easy.

I'm 35 years old , 6' tall and 16 1/2 st but my BMI is 30 .

I've talked about loosing weight but my parents tell me not to as I looked really ill at 12 st 5 years ago.

How do you feel now compared to 5 years ago though? How mobile are you? Unfortunately a lot of people associate looking "well fed" with being healthy. No doubt your parent's intentions are good, but it's your body. If they'd told you to carry a 56LB bag of spuds around 24/7 would you? Because that's what the extra weight amounts to.

Edited by TriBsa

If you feel hungry go and drink a pint of water and give it a few minutes. Might be rubbish but I've been told that the body has a hard time distinguishing between hunger and thirst so you can feel hungry but actually it's thirst.

Hmm. I might try that as I'm sure I don't drink as much as folk say you should (of the non alcohol sort).

I struggle at this time of year as all I want to do is eat and sleep. Same every year and I think it's linked to hibernating.

I cut out carbs! Sugars, breads etc! Made stir frys with loads of green veg, spring cabbage or savoy, green peppers, broccoli, spring onion and leek, corgette etc and a dollop of peanut butter for protein. Ate nothing before mid day and nothing after 6 and shed over 6 stone. It is a strict regime and didn't allow for fuzzy drinks, alcohol, etc! But snacks suck as nuts and certain fruit was ok.

A light breakfast such as oats and fresh banana would be a good start, NO GRANOLA it's full of sugar. Or you could go for scrambled egg? But no bread.

Lunch can be chicken and celery salad. Or something with fish etc.

Evening meals try and keep these before 6pm and nothing more after!

There are plenty high protein ideas online if you look about! I am around a year since I lost mine and still the same now! Dropped from a 42 waist to a 32

How do you feel now compared to 5 years ago though? How mobile are you? Unfortunately a lot of people associate looking "well fed" with being healthy. No doubt your parent's intentions are good, but it's your body. If they'd told you to carry a 56LB bag of spuds around 24/7 would you? Because that's what the extra weight amounts to.

I feel just the same honestly.

I've just found these pictures off my Facebook. The picture on the motorbike was with my now 11 year old daughter , I was 12st after a bad relationship.

The picture on the forklift was last year with my now 2 year old after being my happiest ever.

I'd like to loose a stone but my bmi is 30.6 ???

I'm physically strong and work in the building industry so the extra weight helps me out a lot.

I was 15st until I snapped my leg ;)

I don't drink at all or smoke :)

I suffer majorly with stomach acids so have to eat when I feel sick :/

post-27066-0-01733200-1507977184_thumb.jpg

post-27066-0-39200700-1507977194_thumb.jpg

Edited by team tractor