Drones over Gatwick

defender

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Wonder if they're using vans or cars to keep the drones up. Maybe why plod can't catch them.

Just goes to show the Ineptitude of today's Police farce to be thwarted by a few drones.

All those units rinning around tryi.g to catch the perps and 12 hours later nothing.

I'm sure even Jaymo would see a 'flyin tranny' though  !

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

My thoughts 

Its a great distraction  , isnt it .24 hrs of every policeman and woman and mi6 trying to find 3 or 4 drone pilots causing havoc. 

Where is the real crime taking place...??

Crown jewels.  ? Banks ?.gold .? 

Ps the solution is obviously  a helicopter and a 12b with 34 grm of no 4.

Parliament. The ring pieces are off on hols for 3 weeks now.

1 hour ago, timmytree said:

That reminds me of the old joke about the UK and USA collaborating on testing windscreens for aircraft. The yanks said, "How do you Brits do the tests?"

"We have a cannon that fires dead chickens at 500mph, they bounce off."

"Well we tried that and they go straight through."

A long pause and a few whispers in the background, then the answer.

"Defrost the bloody chicken!"

The first part is true, we had a chicken canon at BAE Brough.

There is a very funny, but true, story about it. I will tell the story when I have more time to type it.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bring out the Death Ray!

The very same GPS that these drones use is ........ the same as we use in flight management systems and hence for some types of approach.

Bit of a bind using some sort of jammer as kind of messes things up for us too.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I'm sure even Jaymo would see a 'flyin tranny' though  !

Nah, too busy reading my newspaper drinking coffee- although I have seen a few of our pax who certainly looks like tranny’s (ooops, am I allowed to use that phrase) 

38 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

The first part is true, we had a chicken canon at BAE Brough.

There is a very funny, but true, story about it. I will tell the story when I have more time to type it.

Rumour has it the second part is true too- obv the test is for defrosted birds as I’ve never knowingly hit a frozen one 🙂

3 hours ago, Munzy said:

What about an Electro Magnetic Pulse (a Pinch) like you see in the movies. I assume these actually exist? Could they be used on a space as big as an airfield to target a drone and not cover a radius large enough to take down too many other systems? Obviously you wouldn’t want to do it with planes in the air though.

Or something that is already being tested at American airports.  

A UK-developed system capable of jamming signals to small drones is to be trialled by the US aviation authority.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is expanding efforts to source technology that can detect small, unmanned aerial vehicles near airports

ad_208272990.jpg

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

The frustrating thing about that tech is that the British company pitched it to the MOD, who said it wasn't cost effective and didn't see an immediate use in it, so they took it to the Americans who've been using it against ISIL drones in Syria. Nice one, MOD.

7 hours ago, ordnance said:

ad_208272990.jpg

My understanding is that a drone could be equipped to be resistant to a jammer plus this thing above looks incredibly expensive.

An Electro Magnetic Pulse (again if Hollywood is accurate!) simply kills the power and the drone drops out of the sky. It does what a bullet or shot can do without the fear of injury to persons on the ground.

Maybe a number of these devices around the perimeter, as soon as a drone is witnessed you switch on the closest Pinch. Or perhaps mount a Pinch in a vehicle within the airfield and simply scramble it to the drone location and flick it on. Drone drops out of the sky and you tow the vehicle away if necessary.

Got to say the airport and police are coming across as pretty incompetent here. I personally don’t think they are dealing with a criminal mastermind here. And I think they are talking up the skills ‘professional drone operator’, it really doesn’t take long to get to grips with flying it. “Hacking” the gps block sounds like journalists wetting themselves, if it is just a case of removing a chip from the device.

I suspect whoever has done it expected to be caught (if it was done as a political protest). Otherwise where is the platform to speak about it. Whoever did it has serious balls, or just didn’t care if caught. Otherwise why keep flying it and not quit whilst ahead having achieved airport shutdown.

As it stands it looks a perfect crime and getaway but my guess given that they didn’t quit yesterday, is they’ll try and repeat the trick and get caught. I do think they were expecting that yesterday. Coming soon to a regional airport near you!

4 minutes ago, Teal said:

Got to say the airport and police are coming across as pretty incompetent here. I personally don’t think they are dealing with a criminal mastermind here. And I think they are talking up the skills ‘professional drone operator’, it really doesn’t take long to get to grips with flying it. “Hacking” the gps block sounds like journalists wetting themselves, if it is just a case of removing a chip from the device.

I suspect whoever has done it expected to be caught (if it was done as a political protest). Otherwise where is the platform to speak about it. Whoever did it has serious balls, or just didn’t care if caught. Otherwise why keep flying it and not quit whilst ahead having achieved airport shutdown.

As it stands it looks a perfect crime and getaway but my guess given that they didn’t quit yesterday, is they’ll try and repeat the trick and get caught. I do think they were expecting that yesterday. Coming soon to a regional airport near you!

And when will they do it again, busiest day for an airport?

A very unsatisfactory conclusion to the situation. I wanted to see pics this morning of drones being blasted out of the sky and people being arrested with gun butts being smashed into their kidneys while being taken off to an unnamed location for interrogation.

What we actually have is the drone operator has decided to take the day off, is intending to start again later or has proved his point. The only way we'll know is if/when he decides to show his hand again

That's not closure. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Sooo what battery does this drone have.. Surely its had to recharge a few times so having to go 'home' any one followed it.. Again just a simple thought? 

My drone will fly for about 20 to 30 minutes , i have 4 batteries for it . And charge up what i need to use for a session  . The batteries are ment to be but in a rest mode when not in use. They are more dangerous  if left fully charged and not used , i store mine in a proper  case , to avoid them catching fire . 

All this sounds like a great way to force airports to buy technology which will prevent drones flying around.

Some former sniper just said on the news that companies have been developing the technology for a decade but Airports have been reluctant to invest 🤔

He also made it clear why snipers wouldn't and couldn't shoot the drones down.

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

153CD152-CC0F-4769-A89B-51D42680DB2C.jpeg

beat me to it, the pic I've been sent had the added words " council estate lad"

Edited by Mice!

I'm piggin' livid about this.

Thousands of people, including me, fly RC planes, not just 'drones', but we all come under the same regulations.

I fly thermal soarers which can fly up to 1500ft. I am a member of the BMFA and have £25m liability insurance. I fly within CAA laws, and when required, with their permission.

The EU has imposed a directive prohibiting flight above 400ft. The BMFA has negotiated a waiver for their members.

In 2019 the EU is imposing a requirement to register as a pilot of RC SUAV's and pass a competency test. The BMFA is negotiating with the EU at the moment to accept that membership of the BMFA, and passing their achievement tests, would be accepted as meeting the EU regulations. At the moment the EU is looking favourably on this idea.

However, I can see this putting the mokkers on everything and, once again, those acting within the law will be punished for the actions of those acting illegally.

Because of one man in Scotland then the legal ownership of handguns was banned. It hasn't stopped killings with handguns but ruined the enjoyment of thousands of sportsmen.

A good birching springs to mind.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Sooo what battery does this drone have.. Surely its had to recharge a few times so having to go 'home' any one followed it.. Again just a simple thought? 

thats what I thought,

why didnt they put another drone in the air to follow it back to the operator/landing point?????

Flynny