BASC lays bare the threats posed by general licence chaos

BASC lays bare the threats posed by general licence chaos 

The impact of ‘pest birds’ on public health and safety, aircraft security, crops, livestock and vulnerable, red-listed species is outlined in a briefing document published today by BASC.

The document will be sent to all MPs in the wake of Natural England’s decision last week to withdraw three general licences for the control of pest birds in England.

The document is also for members and the wider shooting and rural community to give the facts in one place to help challenge the myths and fake news posted online.

It is supported by an infographic which highlights headline facts.  

•           Pigeons and doves were responsible for 800 reported aircraft bird strikes or near misses in the most recent figures available, the document says. Crows were responsible for 300 and gulls more than 1,300. BASC estimates that without proper control, aircraft strikes or near misses from woodpigeon could be expected to increase by seven per cent per year.

•           Concerns that major football, sporting and events stadia and arenas will not be able to operate within the terms of their safety certificates if pest controllers are unable to deal with pest birds such as pigeons.  

•           Damage caused to brassica, pea and oilseed crops in the UK by woodpigeon is estimated to cost £115 million annually and this species will have a devastating effect on farming if allowed to go unchecked.

•           Up to 50 per cent of urban pigeons can carry the most common cause of food poisoning.

•    Several examples are included which highlight the importance of corvid control on the breeding attempts of vulnerable, red-listed bird species.

BASC chairman Peter Glenser QC said: “The facts, the figures and the evidence speak for themselves. The chaos caused by Natural England’s decision runs much deeper than the countryside. 

“Our briefing document shows it stands to affect people’s health, livelihoods and the environment and people’s day-to-day lives in cities and the countryside. 

“Livelihoods could be lost, people will be out of pocket, livestock will be unprotected and conservation efforts will be in crisis.

“Our members and the wider shooting and rural community can use this document as a point of reference to deal with the misinformation that has been peddled in the last week since NE announced its appalling decision.”

The document can be read here: https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1808

The infographic can be read here: https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1809

ENDS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've just read on Facebook that BASC have been filming with ITV regarding this fiasco, and should be on TV during the forthcoming bank holiday weekend.

Hopefully that might make up for the cancellation of their debate with CP on Good Morning Britain!

12 minutes ago, JDog said:

That information should have been shoved in the faces of the former and current heads of Natural England before the threat of legal action from Wild Justice was made.

Yes, and they should also leave the comfort of shooting mags and YouTube videos to show the general non shooting, non game eating, non conservational public the benefits of such activities that go a touch further than spring watch fluffy lambs and lapwings. 

If they don't take the front foot then there won't be a boat to rock when this and game shooting is banned totally by whatever pressure group thats left to concentrate its efforts on fishing as that will be all that's left. 

If you can't shot pigeons or crows given the economic and environmental impact they make then there will be no justification to release birds such as pheasants to be shot and less so to catch a fish with a hook and drag it out the water to put it back again a while later. 

Edited by GingerCat

Thanks Debbie BASC.....I bet this info is news to NE? I am convinced they know nothing about country matters and how real conservation works! They listen too much to the one sided protectionist propaganda of Packham, Avery, RSPB et al!

46 minutes ago, JDog said:

That information should have been shoved in the faces of the former and current heads of Natural England before the threat of legal action from Wild Justice was made.

You right there JDog! We and they have known about it since WJ was launched!  NB

56 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks Debbie for letting us know.

What about the damage to cereal crops ? Or have I missed it?

Quite. Pigeons must eat thousands of tons of grain between June and September.

24 minutes ago, motty said:

And the impact on other business, not just farming and pest controllers..........gunshops, (sales of guns, equipment, clothing, ammunition)  ammunition manufactures, gun manufacturers, the list goes on..............

28 minutes ago, motty said:

I believe there have been no "recognized studies" on grain crops therefore I think if they had used any figures opponents could have branded the whole thing "false News" whereas the other figures used are, as I believe, the findings of various RSPB and Uni studies.

Edited by Yellow Bear

Being a bit pessimistic which is one of my major traits, I am of the personal opinion that NE have finally realised the damage caused by their negligence. Suspecting that the airs of rotting fish pervades the corridors of Mr Goves department.

The damage is done and Packham knows it. WJ are not concerned in the slightest about damage to crops and livestock cruelty caused by their challenge as they have the moral high ground, NE being the negligent culprits, nature being red in tooth and claw will be WJ defence.

Not being a legal eagle even I can see the raft of likely successive challenges lined up by WJ. My personal opinion being that the only way out of this mess is to alter the legal status of all pest species not try to fudge around trying to grant licences of exemption to creatures on the protected schedule? Simple maybe?

Being constantly amazed the the  levels of ignorance, ineptitude and arrogance accepted as the normal from central government departments, industry pushed to operate to ISO standards as they struggle in La La land?

My view is that pigeons and corvids should be removed from the General Licence and that they should simply be treated as pest species like rats and rabbits. The general Licence was only brought in as a counter balance to the European Birds Directive which can be amended or ignored. The Wildlife and Countryside Act can be amended too.

20 minutes ago, JDog said:

My view is that pigeons and corvids should be removed from the General Licence and that they should simply be treated as pest species like rats and rabbits. The general Licence was only brought in as a counter balance to the European Birds Directive which can be amended or ignored. The Wildlife and Countryside Act can be amended too.

That’s all well and good and I agree with you 100% but how do we as individuals  achieve such a goal?  

8 minutes ago, old'un said:

That’s all well and good and I agree with you 100% but how do we as individuals  achieve such a goal?  

In one email to NE I have used the words pest species as a way to describe them, wonder what kind of response I will get?!? 

31 minutes ago, JDog said:

I doubt it will happen, although Avery and Packhams faces would be a picture if it did. 

I agree they should be treated as  pest  and as such should be taken off the general license  i’ve said this in previous posts  The thing is I think to do this we have to go to the EU  as the general license came about from an Eu directive,  and at the moment the government can’t even sort Brexit out so what chance do we have 😡😡😡