Just to gauge opinion

old man

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pigeons still need to be shot, as long as you keep personal contact to sensible advised limits, crack on.

Got it sorted with farmers we're all getting on in years

Lucky to have a big shed and some jobs to do at home.

Missing the grand kids though.

If everyone listens we may avoid a lock down but from what I'm seeing I think it's coming .

Common sense is very much lacking in the younger generation I'm afraid.  My wife and I will certainly be using ours but we are not making ourselves prisoners.  Our small village has come together and we now have a link through phones for those who need help or supplies. We are both fortunate to be still well and active, my wife is walking 2 miles there and back to our local store this morning to collect the paper, doubtfull she will see ayone but if she does then they will pass the time of day and keep their space.  I need to fuel up my Land Rover so will do so but again use my common sense.  I will also visit a couple of farms today but will be as isolated there as I would be sat at home.   I do feel for those elderly people who are not so lucky as we and who live in towns and cities, open to the filth trying to take advantage. Our village warning system has just sent a message round warning about false approaches purporting to be officials doing virus tests etc. 

Whatever, you all stay safe out there, do what you think is right and proper without endangering others.

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Common sense is very much lacking in the younger generation I'm afraid.  My wife and I will certainly be using ours but we are not making ourselves prisoners.  Our small village has come together and we now have a link through phones for those who need help or supplies. We are both fortunate to be still well and active, my wife is walking 2 miles there and back to our local store this morning to collect the paper, doubtfull she will see ayone but if she does then they will pass the time of day and keep their space.  I need to fuel up my Land Rover so will do so but again use my common sense.  I will also visit a couple of farms today but will be as isolated there as I would be sat at home.   I do feel for those elderly people who are not so lucky as we and who live in towns and cities, open to the filth trying to take advantage. Our village warning system has just sent a message round warning about false approaches purporting to be officials doing virus tests etc. 

Whatever, you all stay safe out there, do what you think is right and proper without endangering others.

Don’t forget the rubber gloves to use on the pump handle 

the last person to use it could have been a carrier!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Don’t forget the rubber gloves to use on the pump handle 

the last person to use it could have been a carrier!!!!!

i spray the pump handles with a dettol water mix before i touch them..............when im out i have the spray in my pocket all the time.........i must stink like a toilet..

Don't think I'll be clay shooting for a while, wife is in every category bar age for the "under lying conditions". 

I'm lucky that I live on my permission so don't even have to travel. But as said it does the soul good to be out and involved in the outdoors. I'll probably miss the social interaction of the clay ground, we have a nice little group that can take the **** of each other. But health is more important atm. 

I was just thinking about this and going to ask the same. 

Both myself and the wife are in the "at risk" 

She's told me to get out and go shoot pigeons. I'll be on my own, isolated yet in the fresh air and even if the pigeons don't play I'll still have had a day out.

I cancelled this week and she said it was stupid of me.

Trouble is I feel guilty when people are offering to do shopping and fetch prescriptions but I'm about to say, well I'm off shooting. (No one has fetched anything yet as we had our normal shopping delivery Thursday and prescriptions yesterday). I also have around 240 miles left of diesel in the tank.

Just wondering of other opinions?

Sensible precautions at all times. Both Old Man and myself were supposed to be meeting up for 3 days of shooting this weekend but as we are both in the at risk groups (on many levels) I have to go into a motel and we both love eating out, discretion became the better part of valour. If we were both local we would have met up but we are 120 miles apart then there is the travelling to our perms. Live to shoot another day, you can`t rely on everyone else being sensible. I was told of 2 women yesterday going at it hammer and tongs over a jar of mayonnaise. Keep your car tanks full if you can, I suspect that before this is over that the bridging drivers who deliver the fuel to the pumps and home heating fuels may well be in short supply even though the fuel is available at the supply depots. I am now carrying disposal gloves which are worn on my forays to the builders merchant and food shops, Blue gloves look more impressive than a small blue plaster don`t you think?

Think smart and stay safe.

I'm hoping to panic buy some venison tomorrow early doors. I was going to go out this morning but the baby didn't sleep last night and the ear ache would have been worse than CV ever could be if I'd gone out shooting this morning! I will still be out shooting even if we get locked down, my one permission is next to my house and I go out of my way to avoid seeing anyone when I'm out shooting! 

This was posted by someone locally who does serious posts on these matters and as far as I know is 'genuinely' knowledgeable:

Some people have asked me why its safer outdoors than indoors. Here goes, forgive me if it gets a bit technical.
Back in the bad old days of the Cold War, a certain Government establishment on Salisbury Plain were experimenting with Germ Warfare. They did a lot of things which would have horrified us had we known at the time, most of which involved releasing supposedly harmless bacteria into the air, from aircraft and ships.
They were attempting to evaluate how many live bacteria survived to testing points all over the country.
The surprising answer was that none survived at all. Repeated experiments gave the same results. The conclusion they came to back in the 1960s was that something existed in open air that killed bacteria and viruses. They called it The Open Air Factor. Since those days, we now know that OAF is not a single substance, but a powerful chemical process which starts off with atmospheric ozone reacting with the aromatics given off by plants, and to a certain extent manmade sources. For those interested, natural sources of these chemicals (Terpenes) release 10 to the power of 19 tonnes into the atmosphere every year. That's a billion trillion tonnes. The reaction with atmospheric ozone has about 40 stages, culminating with production of a tiny molecule called an hydroxyl radical. (OH*) This radical is nature's atmospheric detergent, and although it is an incredibly powerful oxidiser, without it life on earth would not exist in its present form.
So how does this kill viruses? Simply all of those 40 reactions in the Open Air Factor condense on all airborne particles from soot down to single molecules, including any bacteria and viruses, and the OH radicals produced attack the viral capsules and cell walls and kill the little ****.
There are about a billion OH radicals per cc of open air, and it only takes a few to destroy pathogenic (illness causing) micro organisms. Not all microorganisms are killed by OH. Like us humans, many bacteria fungi and viruses develop in open air and have structures that resist OH. However Covid-19 and similar disease causing microorganisms are developed inside our cells and therefore have no resistance to OH radicals.

The bad news is that the conditions required to create the Open Air Factor and OH radicals do not exist for more than 3 or 4 seconds indoors, even near an open window. So the virus can survive on the tiny droplets of mucus ejected when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
So in short you are safer outdoors than in!

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

This was posted by someone locally who does serious posts on these matters and as far as I know is 'genuinely' knowledgeable:

Some people have asked me why its safer outdoors than indoors. Here goes, forgive me if it gets a bit technical.
Back in the bad old days of the Cold War, a certain Government establishment on Salisbury Plain were experimenting with Germ Warfare. They did a lot of things which would have horrified us had we known at the time, most of which involved releasing supposedly harmless bacteria into the air, from aircraft and ships.
They were attempting to evaluate how many live bacteria survived to testing points all over the country.
The surprising answer was that none survived at all. Repeated experiments gave the same results. The conclusion they came to back in the 1960s was that something existed in open air that killed bacteria and viruses. They called it The Open Air Factor. Since those days, we now know that OAF is not a single substance, but a powerful chemical process which starts off with atmospheric ozone reacting with the aromatics given off by plants, and to a certain extent manmade sources. For those interested, natural sources of these chemicals (Terpenes) release 10 to the power of 19 tonnes into the atmosphere every year. That's a billion trillion tonnes. The reaction with atmospheric ozone has about 40 stages, culminating with production of a tiny molecule called an hydroxyl radical. (OH*) This radical is nature's atmospheric detergent, and although it is an incredibly powerful oxidiser, without it life on earth would not exist in its present form.
So how does this kill viruses? Simply all of those 40 reactions in the Open Air Factor condense on all airborne particles from soot down to single molecules, including any bacteria and viruses, and the OH radicals produced attack the viral capsules and cell walls and kill the little ****.
There are about a billion OH radicals per cc of open air, and it only takes a few to destroy pathogenic (illness causing) micro organisms. Not all microorganisms are killed by OH. Like us humans, many bacteria fungi and viruses develop in open air and have structures that resist OH. However Covid-19 and similar disease causing microorganisms are developed inside our cells and therefore have no resistance to OH radicals.

The bad news is that the conditions required to create the Open Air Factor and OH radicals do not exist for more than 3 or 4 seconds indoors, even near an open window. So the virus can survive on the tiny droplets of mucus ejected when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
So in short you are safer outdoors than in!

Interesting read.

5 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Sensible precautions at all times. Both Old Man and myself were supposed to be meeting up for 3 days of shooting this weekend but as we are both in the at risk groups (on many levels) I have to go into a motel and we both love eating out, discretion became the better part of valour. If we were both local we would have met up but we are 120 miles apart then there is the travelling to our perms. Live to shoot another day, you can`t rely on everyone else being sensible. I was told of 2 women yesterday going at it hammer and tongs over a jar of mayonnaise. Keep your car tanks full if you can, I suspect that before this is over that the bridging drivers who deliver the fuel to the pumps and home heating fuels may well be in short supply even though the fuel is available at the supply depots. I am now carrying disposal gloves which are worn on my forays to the builders merchant and food shops, Blue gloves look more impressive than a small blue plaster don`t you think?

Think smart and stay safe.

Yep bud, have to double up once this is over?

Edited by old man