Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

In Africa, chics sometimes shave their head after exiting a troubled relationship, it's a form of mental cleansing supposedly.

You may have the IQ of the mekon but unfortunately you seem to be stuck in the 80s, referring to women as chics (sp) is ever so slightly demeaning....

9 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

You may have the IQ of the mekon but unfortunately you seem to be stuck in the 80s, referring to women as chics (sp) is ever so slightly demeaning....

Okay, thanks for the steer. In the context of ladies in Africa it is recognised as a reference to a female who is stylish and elegant and they openly refer to themselves as chica in the plural, but never mind. Have a good evening

Edited by Raja Clavata

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Just shave it all off! No hassle, no blowing about in the wind. Quick rub down with a chamois and you’re ready to go. ! 👍

Same chamois as I use on the car? 
As someone else stated- def not the head and face for an all over clipper. 

45 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Same chamois as I use on the car? 
As someone else stated- def not the head and face for an all over clipper. 

Nobody uses chamois on cars anymore! It’s all microfibre cloths. However I am told that chamois is still used to line cycling shorts. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Nobody uses chamois on cars anymore! It’s all microfibre cloths. However I am told that chamois is still used to line cycling shorts. 

Must be old fashioned 🙂

Did buy a squeegee but not that impressed, so back to ‘old faithful’ 

10 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I once stayed in a French hotel room, which had been modified to cater for disabled guests, my Kenyan gf was apoplectic that we were given such a room and wanted me to demand a change. I didn't. This is the position from someone admitted to the Kenyan Bar and a practicing human rights lawyer working in refugee status determination in UNHCR. Bizarre much.

It’s not bizarre at all really, by and large we all look at life through the same distorting lens, but depending on where we look out from defines what distortion we see.

It’s much the same as IG’s comments about the reaction to someone in a wheelchair.

Based on our perception we tend to ascribe values to others that we think they should have, an example might be an MP probably shouldn't be seen to enjoy a many pints and indulge in a conversation with much ******* and blinding, or in the context of both your examples someone who we recognise or think of as having suffered from prejudice/oppression shouldn’t be prejudicial/oppressive to others.

One thing that baffles me about me is tattoos and my reaction to them.  I have many, it surprises most who know me professionally and i find that funny and also think how shallow and judgemental it shows people to be at times, yet every time i see a police officer in short sleeves with visible tattoos it jars with me.  Which is of course shallow and judgemental and i laugh at myself an think what a knob i am.

It does show how ingrained human behaviour is and how hard it can be to shift.

25 minutes ago, grrclark said:

It’s not bizarre at all really, by and large we all look at life through the same distorting lens, but depending on where we look out from defines what distortion we see.

It’s much the same as IG’s comments about the reaction to someone in a wheelchair.

Based on our perception we tend to ascribe values to others that we think they should have, an example might be an MP probably shouldn't be seen to enjoy a many pints and indulge in a conversation with much ******* and blinding, or in the context of both your examples someone who we recognise or think of as having suffered from prejudice/oppression shouldn’t be prejudicial/oppressive to others.

One thing that baffles me about me is tattoos and my reaction to them.  I have many, it surprises most who know me professionally and i find that funny and also think how shallow and judgemental it shows people to be at times, yet every time i see a police officer in short sleeves with visible tattoos it jars with me.  Which is of course shallow and judgemental and i laugh at myself an think what a knob i am.

That made me smile . I'm covered in tats , and usually have at least a weeks worth of stubble on my face ,  but if I see a copper showing a tattoo , or that isn't clean shaven , I tut tut tut to myself 😆.

20 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That made me smile . I'm covered in tats , and usually have at least a weeks worth of stubble on my face ,  but if I see a copper showing a tattoo , or that isn't clean shaven , I tut tut tut to myself 😆.

Isn’t it mental?

Makes me smile too Mel at the absurdity of me 😂

10 hours ago, grrclark said:

Interesting point.

In the case I cited, I wasn't relating my view of her behaviour as bizarre based on her ethnicity but more to do with her profession and the social values she purported to stand for.

I do agree on the distorting lens and am sure that affects everyone, although I'm equally sure not everyone appreciates this.

Your self reflection on tattoos got me thinking, and again I can relate to that, mine would be the times I've had my head shaved to no.1 and looked at other people whose hair was cut the same way and thought they looked like a thug. I guess that's topical for this thread too 🙂

I'm sure we can all be shallow and judgemental at times, again it's all about self awareness and being able to laugh at the fact that we are being a knob.

11 hours ago, grrclark said:

It was my perception that the man was black and may have suffered discrimination in the past, so therefore must be tolerant of others, this is blatantly untrue and comical really....... obviously I now treat all people with equal contempt...😁 

18 minutes ago, clangerman said:

I see minneapolis has banned choke hold techniques a first step in the right direction to halting anyone black or white being killed by a bully with a badge 

they still have guns, and people will still die, it’s the American way, 40 thousand gun related deaths in 2019.

It should now be named obm ( only blacks matter) do black people really think that my life as a white man has been an absolute dream with no predjudice in my life with no threat to my person because it certainly hasn't been like that, they need to realise that its not solely about them instead of rioting and looting why don't they get organised and use the opportunity this November to vote out the man they hate and vote in the one they want o sorry they did that with Obama and still they were not happy. 

There's no pleasing some people. 

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Interesting point.

In the case I cited, I wasn't relating my view of her behaviour as bizarre based on her ethnicity but more to do with her profession and the social values she purported to stand for.

I actually meant to add that into my last post, we also ascribe values based on people’s professions, social background, education, life experiences, etc and yet we are very often still surprised when folk don’t match the perception we have built for them.

It’s fascinating really from a sociological and anthropological viewpoint.

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

It was my perception that the man was black and may have suffered discrimination in the past, so therefore must be tolerant of others, this is blatantly untrue and comical really....... obviously I now treat all people with equal contempt...😁 

That made me laugh 😁

Looking at the pictures of everyone crowded together ........... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52949014

....... it seems highly likely that a second peak will be along soon, infecting and killing more people, and being passed on to those who have followed sound sense and kept away from large gatherings.

We will all end up 'locked down' again owing to the utter stupidity of this mob  and the inability of the London authorities to uphold the law.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looking at the pictures of everyone crowded together ........... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52949014

....... it seems highly likely that a second peak will be along soon, infecting and killing more people, and being passed on to those who have followed sound sense and kept away from large gatherings.

We will all end up 'locked down' again owing to the utter stupidity of this mob  and the inability of the London authorities to uphold the law.

Black lives matter  --  obviously others don't and they tell us the BAME community is more vulnerable for some reason  -  I would fine the lot of them and those in Manchester.    Noticeable that both are hard left strongholds so they will soon be shouting that the government "failed and should do something".

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

Black lives matter  --  obviously others don't

The truth is of course that ALL lives matter - and any normal person (not getting at you or anyone else here saying by this) doesn't ask/look/check whether someone who looses their life is black, white, midway, male, female, old, young, muslim, jewish, christian, diabetic, overweight etc.  Lives lost unnecessarily matter. 

This whole idea where elements of society (and it is a habit of the protester/agitator types mostly, because it is divisive and they encourage division and only exist whilst they can maintain division - despite what they say) put always people in minority groups categories of 'Black', 'LGBT,' 'Muslim' etc.  We are all PEOPLE, HUMAN BEINGS, and matter equally.

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

let them get on with it ...its all very Darwiniam really............lets stand back and watch the covid-19 deaths start to rise again in London......

Thanks pal, but its more than just the social distancing issue on the demonstration. All those people are making unnecessary (and hence illegal) trips on public transport to get to and from the demonstration. You can't get hardly anywhere in London without using public transport.

And another issue, all the public toilets are closed so they are being antisocial in other ways too  

Edited by Vince Green

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

let them get on with it ...its all very Darwiniam really............lets stand back and watch the covid-19 deaths start to rise again in London......

Unfortunately they are all around the country this weekend. That includes Norwich! 

33 minutes ago, AVB said:

Unfortunately they are all around the country this weekend.

After all of the grief and hard work by the various Doctors, Nurses, NHS staff etc, and all of the efforts and personal sacrifices (most) of the UK population has put into protecting people and saving lives - to behave like they are putting the progress made at risk is utterly beneath contempt.  Words fail me.