Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

anyone seen the website that lists the statues they will protest and want removed..........including oliver cromwell ....sir francis drake....queen victoria statues...sir robert peel....

this needs to be stopped...and quickly....its gaining dare i say it more and more MOMENTUM.............its close to defacing my country....im not pleased and i dont give a toss what people on here think.........

I absolutely agree with you but you have to be careful having an opinion. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I find the whole situation particularly in the UK ridiculous, due to a number of facts.

1 what has someone being murdered (or not)  by the police in America got to do with us in the UK, so why are idiots smashing London up?

Yes. I had called in at the British Consulate in Paris in December 2018, as you do, and this youth, white British, in his early twenties, comes in to ask for some advice. And you sometimes can't help overhearing things when you are sat only six feet away with nothing else to do but wait for that desk officer to finish with the young man.

So he speaks to the Pro-Consul who was on the enquiry counter at the time. He explains to her he's just been released that Monday morning after twenty-eight hours in the cells at the police station up at Rue Clignancourt. Having been arested and taken there on Saturday. And he's been given a couple of documents, in French, that he "needs help with". So she explains that the Consulate doesn't offer a translation service but that it will have a read of the documents anyway. But won't guarantee the accuracy of what she says they say.

So as she's reading the documents he's explaining that he'd come over on the Eurostar on Friday or so to "do a bit of sightseeing" such as "visiting the Chateau of Versailles today" (which clearly isn't true as that today was a Monday and it's closed on Monday) and "doing some research into the Gilet Jaunes". So he's saying how he was just up there, as you do, near the Arc de Triomphe, doing his research, minding his own business and the police stop him and search him. Merely for doing his research.

So the Pro Consul listens to his story and finally he comes to the end of it. Telling her, as you do "And that's basically what happened." To which she then replies "I see. And the bit in the French police documents about them finding the gas mask being in your backpack? You don't seem to have told me about that." Oh dear. So funny it was very hard to keep a straight face. Such an eloquent story he'd told. But somehow totally omitting the bit about the gas mask in his backpack. 

So another idiot in another place. And I've little doubt that he'll have been perhaps out and about this least weekend too. Colston's statue should have gone long ago but smashing things up in London...the Cenotaph, Churchill...and in America looting what the heck has that got to do with someone's death whilst being arrested save as it being an excuse for criminal behaviour? What happened with this Floyd was wrong. But that's not an excuse for looting nor for defacing the Cenotaph nor Churchill.

There are only two statues of Napoleon in Paris. And he has no wide avenue or boulevard named after him, no important thoroughfare, just a fairly narrow and almost insignificant street. So some nations do seem aware that whatever beneficial legacy a man may have created his life itself makes him unworthy of celebration by a more obvious memorial.

Edited by enfieldspares

5 hours ago, henry d said:

Or gunned down by two vehicle loads of vigilantes, the McMichaels said they pursued the man because he resembled a suspect in a string of local burglaries, although according to the police there had been only one recent car burglary in the neighborhood. He died from 3 gunshot wounds and there were no signs of alcohol or drugs in his body. This was early afternoon, not late at night, or in a situation where it could be difficult to identify a perpetrator. The judicial circuit said that it was justifiable homicide... Let that sink in!

The reason why is "Arbery initiated the fight"; that Travis McMichael "was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself" when "Arbery grabbed the shotgun" or that they chased someone who had been in a house that was under construction in two vehicles, with guns rather than let the police deal with it. Arbery did nothing wrong, he stole nothing, he left of his own accord, but as an unarmed person was forced to defend himself from several armed individuals.

Two months later a video was released of the encounter by a defence attorney, and two days later arrests were made for felony murder and aggravated assault.

Now rather than drone on, go have a look at the fall out regarding the district attorneys and the local PD handling of not just this case but many more.

This is the root of the problem!

He left when the neighbors saw him go in the house and screamed at him.  

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

There are only two statues of Napoleon in Paris. And he has no wide avenue or boulevard named after him, no important thoroughfare, just a fairly narrow and almost insignificant street. So some nations do seem aware that whatever beneficial legacy a man may have created his life itself makes him unworthy of celebration by a more obvious memorial.

I'm quite surprised by that, I'd imagine he's one of the most famous or infamous French men in history,  I'm sure everyone knows Napoleon lead the French but many struggle would to name Wellington.

I don’t think we should hide from our history, those statues represent a time when the UK was the most advanced civilisation that had ever existed on earth. Yes we could give the statues context, but to hide them away is a betrayal of our role in the globalisation of the world, with the good and bad that caused.

As I walk in the morning I head towards þing vollr (Thingwall) a Viking settlement, then turn and head towards Deva, a Roman settlement. I have to cross fields scarred by the Luftwaffe’s bombs. It is madness to think that these past aggressions and occupations need to be hidden and revised. The Rhodes Must Fall movement is an intellectual embarrassment. Africans were captured, then murdered or enslaved by Africans. Some Europeans hundreds of years ago provided ships to cross the Atlantic as part of a trading triangle. Mortality for the European sailors on these voyages was 20%. Tough times for all. That is not to excuse that what happened in the slave trade, it was morally reprehensible when judged by any standards. However, Britain was at the forefront of the abolishment of the slave trade and the Royal Navy fought to enforce a blockage on slave ships of any nation crossing the Atlantic. It was a complicated but horrific time, men woman and children were oppressed, maimed, raped and killed. There are many shameful events that happened. But Britain’s globalising actions helped end African slavery. To confuse these events from hundreds of years ago with oppression of ethnic minorities by police brutality today is an academic absurdity. 

It has become local to me. William Leverhulme was an industrialist and philanthropist. The company he founded however traded with Belgian companies that employed slave labour in the Congo in the 1800s. He is now being accused of crimes against humanity by people in the 21st century who are wearing clothes and shoes made by slave labour in Asia. They are adorned in jewellery and gold brought through blood and modern slavery. Their smart phones contain precious metals mined by modern slave labour. If they are such committed humanitarians why don’t they start by stopping their exploitation of slaves who are alive today rather than riot over those who died centuries ago?

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

As I walk in the morning ............

Well put.  As I think the vast majority of us accept - the current BLM demonstrations/protests/riots/unrest (whatever term your prefer) have little or nothing to do with racial discrimination, past (or present) slavery, or indeed anything to do with anyones death in the USA.

It has been hijacked by the usual 'anarchistic'  'rent a mob' lot who participate in all of these 'anti establishment' events (see also ER, anti Capitalist, etc.) who wish to bring down the elected government.  Quite what they want to replace it with is less clear ........... but the 'destructive' side is strong - and the 'rebuild' apparently lacking.

They have been encouraged in recent times by weak policing - and the current Covid situation plays into their hands.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm quite surprised by that, I'd imagine he's one of the most famous or infamous French men in history,  I'm sure everyone knows Napoleon lead the French but many struggle would to name Wellington.

Napoleon by reasonable estimates took around four hundred thousand Frenchmen into Russia in 1812 and returned with but thirty thousand. And even though it had been abolished by the Revolution reintroduced slavery to France and France's overseas territories.

Wellington? Apart from the Catholic Relief Act of 1829 that enabled Roman Catholics to be elected as MPs? His legacy we all are thankful for is on a wet day tramping across muddy fields though? In our WELLINGTON boots?

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

anyone seen the website that lists the statues they will protest and want removed..........including oliver cromwell ....sir francis drake....queen victoria statues...sir robert peel....

this needs to be stopped...and quickly....its gaining dare i say it more and more MOMENTUM.............its close to defacing my country....im not pleased and i dont give a toss what people on here think.........

I agree…what next? Books containing their names? Remove any images from public view? where do you stop, this is a slippery slope we are on if we allow these people to remove our history.

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Napoleon by reasonable estimates took around four hundred thousand Frenchmen into Russia in 1812 and returned with but thirty thousand. And even though it had been abolished by the Revolution reintroduced slavery to France and France's overseas territories.

Wellington? Apart from the Catholic Relief Act of 1829 that enabled Roman Catholics to be elected as MPs? His legacy we all are thankful for is on a wet day tramping across muddy fields though? In our WELLINGTON boots?

I'll bet if most of those who were err demonstrating at the weekend were asked who led the British forces during the Napoleonic wars they wouldn't have a clue.

And as for going into Russia,  these dictators never learn do they.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I don’t think we should hide from our history, those statues represent a time when the UK was the most advanced civilisation that had ever existed on earth. Yes we could give the statues context, but to hide them away is a betrayal of our role in the globalisation of the world, with the good and bad that caused.

Totally agree, use this to educate not "colour" wash history. ☆☆didn't want to be colourist ☆☆

I see Gone with the Wind has now been removed from the HBO streaming capacity. It would be interesting to hear Olivia DeHavilands thoughts; I’ve no doubt that by applying the same logic as is being applied, she will be prosecuted or worse for participating and profiting from such a horrific piece of propaganda. 🙂
It’s going to be quite amusing to see where this logic takes us. Much fluster and hypocrisy to ensue methinks. 🙂

Can someone just remind me why Floyd was arrested? 

On 08/06/2020 at 17:23, NoBodyImportant said:

Those are some glaring examples I see wrong on the list.  I know one I was upset about was John Crawford.  He was a black man that was holding a BB gun in Walmart.  He was on his phone asking his baby’s momma if he could buy it for their son.   A anti gunner saw it and called the police and said the guy was walking around pointing it at people.  He wasn’t as shown on the store cameras. The police came around the corner and shot him without telling him to drop the gun or nothing. 

That is absolutely disgusting

On 08/06/2020 at 22:43, Sciurus said:

I also believe that the very long  brick wall that encompasses the Knowsley Estate was built for Lord Derby by unemployed former Napoleonic soldiers. It stretches for miles.

Used to jump over that to go to the amusement arcade in my misspent youth!!

I think that there are a lot of people that have taken this classic scene to heart

Also, I think a lot of them want 1984 to become a fact rather than a fiction. Remember, liberals are all for free speech as long as it is what they want to hear!

I also posted a response earlier on social media - "Those that continue to let the past rule their present and their future are now taking our history away" - and I mean the good and the bad

56 minutes ago, Scully said:

I see Gone with the Wind has now been removed from the HBO streaming capacity. It would be interesting to hear Olivia DeHavilands thoughts; I’ve no doubt that by applying the same logic as is being applied, she will be prosecuted or worse for participating and profiting from such a horrific piece of propaganda. 🙂
It’s going to be quite amusing to see where this logic takes us. Much fluster and hypocrisy to ensue methinks. 🙂

Can someone just remind me why Floyd was arrested? 

Little Britain removed by the BBC…https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52983319

As I see it there are only 2 factual pieces of information. George Floyd was a scum bag and the cop used excessive force, everything else is made up to fit agendas. 

Did the cop target GF because he was black, only one person knows for certain.

Was the intention to hurt or kill GF, again only one person can truly answer that question.

Everything that has happened is purely based on people making assumptions.

Its interesting to note and compare the reactions of different ethnic groups to opression, slavery and general unpleasantness.

The Jews have been enslaved, murdered and generally mistreated for thousands of years and yet their reaction to all this is very different from that of the black community.

No whining that they are somehow being held back, picked upon or are somehow in need of special treatment because they can`t cope with the trials of life.

Perhaps the black community could liaise with the Jews, another oppressed and wronged minority, as to how to grow a backbone, stop blaming everybody else for your own shortcomings and generally get on with life without seeing yourself as  a permenant victim with low self esteem.

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Death-Europe-Immigration-Identity-ebook/dp/B06XDV5R78 should be required reading for everyone - even if be honest, it's probably too late to do anything about it.

What will be interesting though, is how historians 300 years from now will view late 20th/early 21st century Europeans. Certainly it's hard to find another civilization in history that has committed cultural suicide with its eyes wide open. If nothing else we'll stand through history as a warning to others.