Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MARSH GUN

Pup price. is this sustainable.

Recommended Posts

Over last few months Typical gun dog pup prices have increased.

 2k for a pup and Apparently sold.

Is this the way it is going to be from now on or are there other factors dictating this hype. And finally is this sustainable.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MARSH GUN said:

Over last few months Typical gun dog pup prices have increased.

 2k for a pup and Apparently sold.

Is this the way it is going to be from now on or are there other factors dictating this hype. And finally is this sustainable.?

I was looking for a Jack Russel pup for a friend when to my horror I found someone selling JR X Chihuahua for £1500 a puppy!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaptC said:

I was looking for a Jack Russel pup for a friend when to my horror I found someone selling JR X Chihuahua for £1500 a puppy!!! 

It's only possible because idiots pay the price!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i refuse to be robbed over puppies prices are ridiculous the clanger was a free kennel accident from a keeper she is one of the best working dogs i ever owned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely people will pay what they will pay.

If the price is too high the pup will not sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of folk are off and buying a puppy to take a walk , so the price is rising .But have they thought about what happens when they go back to work ?. poor dogs stuck in the house all day or left to run the streets or handed in to a rescue ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bloke on a gundog forum I am on just posted... he is a pro trainer... he was called yesterday by a couple who recently bought an 8 week old black lab pup for £2,500 ... it’s now 17 weeks but they have both had to go back to work and no longer have time for it... they said they would sell it to him at the bargain price of £2,000!! 
 

He said to them “I just sold a fully trained Labrador for £2,000, why would I pay you that for a pup?” 
 

He told them their pup was worth about £6-700 tops if they could find anyone who’d even want to buy it. 
 

Apparently they called him an idiot and slammed the phone down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had this conversation with the wife last week when i was looking for a jack russel.....i said.....i aint paying the sort of money......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Field sports channel reported ( I believe it was ) on this last week and said as people were returning to work the dogs were being abandoned 

Edited by sam triple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

i am getting on line  adverts for sprockers at £2250.

 

Blackpowder

Madness, our sprocker was a £500 kennel accident from a grouse keeper near barnard castle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jasper was £300 six years ago and Barney was £350 two years ago. I wouldn't part with either for any money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDog said:

Jasper was £300 six years ago and Barney was £350 two years ago. I wouldn't part with either for any money.

That’s a bargain mind ... nothing wrong with sprockers it’s just a spaniel ... I’d have one but you can’t enter comps with them etc sadly. 
 

They seem to be going for silly money these days though as well, £8-900 and that was before lockdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy 

£500 for my kc registered lab and I still thought that was a lot but the mrs had made up my mind lol 

but saying that wouldn’t part with him for the world now the mrs goes before he does 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pets4Homes is the main web site I can think of which lists all major cat and dog breeds and over the past two to three months the prices have jumped three fold at least ! Jack Russell’s starting at £1200 and that’s without papers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit I generally don't look at pup prices but a few mates told me about it and I never believed folk were paying 2k for lab pups.

Just can't believe it. Some aren't that well bred either

A local trainer just sold his litter IGL Ftch X Ftch and think we're about 11- 1200 quid.

Lot of money but obviously all health checked and dna'd and potentially some very well bred pups, all sold before born and still had well over 100 phone calls about them.

 

But cheap compared to the money some chancers are asking for poor yellow bitches put to 1st red dog they can find, no health tests or thought and still wanting 700+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices will drop once things get back to normal - or I hope so!

I hope there won’t be many 5/6 month old pups being rehomed either 😔

 

just found this on pets4homes 

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/2714214-if-you-brought-a-black-lab-puppy-please-contact-me-polegate.html

 

quite sad, clearly people are breeding from any old dogs causing health issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple I know of have just built kennels for the purpose of breeding labs, during a conversation with them it was clear that they are in it for the money, neither of them knew they are born in sacks that you have to remove yourself if difficulties occur,  neither are into any kind of fieldsports and when I asked if they were selling them as working dogs there reply was definitely you get a lot more money for gun dogs , since then they have purchased three bitches and one dog, neither from working stock, it's going to end up as a breading farm with no respect or knowledge of the breed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rapid .25 said:

A couple I know of have just built kennels for the purpose of breeding labs, during a conversation with them it was clear that they are in it for the money, neither of them knew they are born in sacks that you have to remove yourself if difficulties occur,  neither are into any kind of fieldsports and when I asked if they were selling them as working dogs there reply was definitely you get a lot more money for gun dogs , since then they have purchased three bitches and one dog, neither from working stock, it's going to end up as a breading farm with no respect or knowledge of the breed.


Scum. 
 

Only a complete moron would buy from them. Problem is there’s no shortage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble is there are a lot of uneducated people and there are enough breeders out there who take advantage. I don’t breed from my dogs because I know that there are enough good breeders to choose from and I pick up with many of them. I am therefore very careful what and who I buy from. I have just bought a ten week old lab, fully health tested from a top field trialler, out one of her bitches with FTW father. I will simply say I did not pay four figures for him. It can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

The trouble is there are a lot of uneducated people and there are enough breeders out there who take advantage. I don’t breed from my dogs because I know that there are enough good breeders to choose from and I pick up with many of them. I am therefore very careful what and who I buy from. I have just bought a ten week old lab, fully health tested from a top field trialler, out one of her bitches with FTW father. I will simply say I did not pay four figures for him. It can be done.


Very responsible attitude. 
 

Everyone that has a dog that they manage to train to **** outside they seem to think they simply have to breed it rather than there already being plenty of very well bred dogs about and looking for one of them. 
 

Good luck with your pup :) We’ve just been to see ours today. FTCH x OFTW, not even close to 4 figures. 
 


 

I think sadly a lot of people will refuse to sell/rehome their lockdown dogs, because they paid so much for them they’ll want even more back and simply will never get it! 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...