Another M.P. blatantly ignores the rules

hodge911

.how the hell do they expect the public to follow them when the MPs don't .

The smp member gets a train to london and goes to Westminster gets a +ve test result then jumps on the train back to glasgow knowing she was +ve .....

And us up norf are in tight restrictions near on a lock down ... trying to be good 

I can understand why people say "stuff it why should I obey "...

And here's me sitting here coughing like mad waiting for my covid test result from 7pm last night 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I hope she has the sense to stand down.

I suspect that is unlikely - for a number of reasons;

1. Politicians as a breed are incredibly 'thick skinned'.  They care little for what others think, or think of them - as long as they get your vote.
  2. For many (who don't have other business interests) - it is a good very well paid post; good salary, VERY generous expenses, SUPERB perks, GREAT pension
  3. Politics is about the limelight - and some just love to be in in - even for the wrong reasons

More likely she will be forced to stand down against her wishes, but we shall see.

To be honest living just ouside of the Leicester Lockdown boundary I now don't have a clue what the rules are, or aren't, or might have been ten minutes ago. Or will be at half past the hour. It is a total shambles. My seven year old can sit with his twenty-six classmates in school all day....yet can't (I live in a village) then play with six of the same classmates for even five minutes at 3.15pm in the adjacent village recreation ground that the school abuts. I can sit outside a pub socially distanced with maybe thirty, forty, fifty people on adjacent tables....yet can't sit outside socially distanced in the garden of my friend and his wife in Oadby and Wigston. It's a shambles being serially mismanaged by the useless Johnson and his incompetent lickspittle Hancock.

Edited by enfieldspares

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

1. Politicians as a breed are incredibly 'thick skinned'.  They care little for what others think, or think of them - as long as they get your vote.
  2. For many (who don't have other business interests) - it is a good very well paid post; good salary, VERY generous expenses, SUPERB perks, GREAT pension
  3. Politics is about the limelight - and some just love to be in in - even for the wrong reasons

More likely she will be forced to stand down against her wishes, but we shall see.

Not going to hold my breath though!

15 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I now don't have a clue what the rules are, or aren't,

Agreed it is confusing and in many respects 'illogical', but to draw up an effective 'one set of rules covers everywhere' resulted in the original lockdown' - which many don't want to see back in that blanket cover way.

In this M.P.s case;

1. She felt unwell, so had a test - which indicates that she considered she might well be positive
  2. She used public transport for a long journey of many hours and 'went to work' sharing workspace and mixed with others whilst awaiting the outcome of that test
  3. Following the 'positive' test result, she then spent another many hours on public transport

That has to be downright foolish and irresponsible.

My understanding is the whip has been removed from her, so she is now in essence an independent MP.  Whether the SNP choose to permanently expel her from the party or not remains to be seen.

In terms of her role as an MP it is now 100% her choice whether to step down and trigger a by-election.  The SNP cannot kick her out her MP post, but the HoP standards committee could suspend her for 10 sitting days which would give the consituents a right to trigger a recall petition and force a by-election.

It would be nice to see the standards committee take such an approach given that she travelled to attend parliament knowing full well from the guidance that she should have isolated prior to the test result, in essence reckless conduct towards the house and it's members.  Travelling after the positive result is a breach of the law in England.

19 minutes ago, grrclark said:

knowing full well from the guidance that she should have isolated prior to the test result, in essence reckless conduct towards the house and it's members.

Indeed - in fact anyone who suspects they have an infectious and dangerous (to some anyway) illness should - regardless of any 'guidance'.  I can well remember being put in isolation by my parents when I had German measles as a child (aged about 8 or 10 I suppose).  I felt fine, but didn't then understand the risk to pregnant women.

22 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Travelling after the positive result is a breach of the law in England.

Not to mention downright callous, selfish and stupid.  At least Cummings (who was also stupid, but not in my view callous or selfish) isolated himself by travelling in a private car.

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

You dont get it 

There's one rule for them and another for the peasants 

Do as your told not as you see seems to be the rule 

I love how you judge all MPs by the actions of a few. We as shooters often complain that we are judged by the actions of a very small minority, yet we willingly condemn other groups by the actions of a few be it cyclists or MPs. 

I used to work with an anti who compared all shooters to Ryan and Hamilton and wanted a complete ban on guns, yet those 2 don't compare to anyone I know. 

26 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Indeed - in fact anyone who suspects they have an infectious and dangerous (to some anyway) illness should - regardless of any 'guidance'.  I can well remember being put in isolation by my parents when I had German measles as a child (aged about 8 or 10 I suppose).  I felt fine, but didn't then understand the risk to pregnant women.

Not to mention downright callous, selfish and stupid.  At least Cummings (who was also stupid, but not in my view callous or selfish) isolated himself by travelling in a private car.

I agree.  I personally think Dom should have gone, but his actions are not comparable to hers, she is a level above and then some!

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

she could always follows dummings example tell a pack of lies and take everyone for a fool 

No she can't, She has already admitted to her wrong doing.

And the two are completely different, one is an elected official, elected to represent their constituents, the other is not!

One is also elected to vote on and possibly play a part in passing laws (and as such should be squeaky clean with regards to the law), the other is not.

Edited by Newbie to this

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

No she can't, She has already admitted to her wrong doing.

And the two are completely different, one is an elected official, elected to represent their constituents, ther other is not!

Like the MSM you must not let facts get in the way of a pop at the Tory party 😂.

I notice that MSM and BBC are being very quiet about JC getting done for his 9 person dinner party.  Plonker even posted a picture😂

Edited by Yellow Bear

I think it might be interesting the police response on this one. 
The facts being she shouldn’t have taken public transport when suspecting she had caught it and definitely not when confirmed.  Potentially she could kill people by having done this and perhaps it should be treated severely. One thing is for sure she won’t last as an mp

On 02/10/2020 at 10:13, JohnfromUK said:

I sincerely hope she does stand down but the lead from Cummings and the Tories is not a good omen. 

1 hour ago, al4x said:

I think it might be interesting the police response on this one. 
The facts being she shouldn’t have taken public transport when suspecting she had caught it and definitely not when confirmed.  Potentially she could kill people by having done this and perhaps it should be treated severely. One thing is for sure she won’t last as an mp

Spot on but for me when those setting the rules blatantly break them they undermine the confidence of the general public. More than the people she may have infected there will be many thousands using these examples as an excuse to bend the rules to suit them. 

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Can't understand why an SNP needs to be in London to begin with,  never mind travelling when you think you have symptoms,  quite sure if I went into work while waiting for a result knowing I had symptoms I'd be sacked. 

I have the same simplistic view of the SNP too. The party is one dimensional and is an irrelevance in Parliament.