AstraZeneca vaccine

steve_b_wales

At lunchtime yesterday, my wife had her first vaccine. All went well, she came home and felt okay. At 4.45 pm, while in the kitchen, she suddenly felt dizzy and sick. She laid down on the settee, and started to shiver and commented that she felt very cold. She also had severe pain in her neck, and down to her lower back, and also vomited a few times. I decided to contact NHS 111, but after being put on hold for over 1/2 hour, and my wife getting worse, I dialed 999. I explained what was happening, and was told that help was on it's way. 40 minutes later, a first responder Paramedic arrived and started to check her over. He gave her an ECG and stated that her heart beat was pretty high and erratic. Her blood pressure was also low. He decided that she needed to go into hospital, and an ambulance arrived within 15 minutes. I couldn't go with her, so just waited for news off her. She phoned me at 22.00 to say that she had been put on a drip, had her bloods taken, and that the doctors suspected that she may have a blood clot. They gave her painkillers and also aspirin. Eventually, she was allowed home at 04:00 and I went to get her. She had to go back down again this morning to have a CT scan, which hopefully will find the blood clot. She had to wait 3 hours to be seen, and after having the scan, the results were clear. They couldn't say for definite what had happened, but it was probably a severe reaction to the vaccine jab. She's home now, and feeing okay, but very tired. An early night is on the cards for her. It hasn't put her off having the 2nd vaccine jab in the near future though. As some on here will know, both my wife and I had the corona virus back in December and felt really poor. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vaccines and reactions are strange...........i had just the normal stuff with C-19.....including a numb top lip....felt really off colour for a few days which i controlled with paracetamol....which were a life saver........

many years ago i had a booster jab for yellow fever....within 1/2 an hour i thought i was going to die....i was so ill and felt pain in all my bones and body and was soooo nausious.....it was something i wouldnt wish on my worst enermy...........this went on for 3 hours and the wife was close to calling 999...........then in the space of 20 mins ...i went back to feeling totally normal......

reactions like this do happen..........(it was banter in the old days to believe the worse reaction you had the better protected you were....dont know if there is any truth in that )

think you were being very proactive....and at least both of you have peace of mind

There is building evidence that side effects could be as a result of a previous Covid infection - a stronger immune response the the vaccine. Not a bad thing in the case of mild side effects. 

with the recent reports that tinnitus can be a Covid symptom I am pretty convinced that I had Covid a few months back - I woke up and was dizzy which lasted 3 days and then a week of tinnitus. No classic Covid symptoms but I now suspect that’s why my 1st dose of vaccine resulted in such a strong immune response and 48 hours of side effects. 

Glad all's OK, some people can have what would be concerning side effects. 

Very Common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people)

• tenderness, pain, warmth, itching or bruising where the injection is given
  • generally feeling unwell
  • feeling tired (fatigue)
  • chills or feeling feverish
  • headache
  • feeling sick (nausea)
  • joint pain or muscle ache

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)

• swelling, redness or a lump at the injection site
  • fever
  • being sick (vomiting) or diarrhoea
  • flu-like symptoms, such as high temperature, sore throat, runny nose, cough and chills

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

At lunchtime yesterday, my wife had her first vaccine. All went well, she came home and felt okay. At 4.45 pm, while in the kitchen, she suddenly felt dizzy and sick. She laid down on the settee, and started to shiver and commented that she felt very cold. She also had severe pain in her neck, and down to her lower back, and also vomited a few times. I decided to contact NHS 111, but after being put on hold for over 1/2 hour, and my wife getting worse, I dialed 999. I explained what was happening, and was told that help was on it's way. 40 minutes later, a first responder Paramedic arrived and started to check her over. He gave her an ECG and stated that her heart beat was pretty high and erratic. Her blood pressure was also low. He decided that she needed to go into hospital, and an ambulance arrived within 15 minutes. I couldn't go with her, so just waited for news off her. She phoned me at 22.00 to say that she had been put on a drip, had her bloods taken, and that the doctors suspected that she may have a blood clot. They gave her painkillers and also aspirin. Eventually, she was allowed home at 04:00 and I went to get her. She had to go back down again this morning to have a CT scan, which hopefully will find the blood clot. She had to wait 3 hours to be seen, and after having the scan, the results were clear. They couldn't say for definite what had happened, but it was probably a severe reaction to the vaccine jab. She's home now, and feeing okay, but very tired. An early night is on the cards for her. It hasn't put her off having the 2nd vaccine jab in the near future though. As some on here will know, both my wife and I had the corona virus back in December and felt really poor. 

Posted February 16

Had mine on 6th Feb at 10-15, that evening at about 8-30 started to feel shivery and could not get warm, gradually got worse with a temp of 39.2 and heartrate of about 140, blood pressure was also high, i was lying in bed feeling like poo listening to my own heart racing, eventually phoned my daughter who is a district nursing sister, she came over did my obs and suggested phoning 111 which we did (first thing sjhe suggested was to take some paracetamol which i did) they took details and said they would get a doctor to phone me, i was expecting a 3 or 4 hour wait for that but within 15 minutes doctor phoned, i told him my symptoms and that i had taken 2 paracetamol which he suggested. The time was now about 2-00 Sunday morning my symptoms were getting a little better by now so he told me if i was not a lot better by morning to phone again, to cut a long story a bit shorter i managed to get to sleep about 3-00 and when i woke up at 11-00 i felt a lot better.

i Looked on the website and it said if you have any side effects from the injection to fill in a form online which i did.

I can tell you that i was quite worried for an hour or 2 but when i woke up i was very relieved.  Sunday evening both myself and my wife who had also had the jab at the same time we both a bit groggy for a couple of hours. I am still getting a headache occasionally which i do not usually get and having disturbed nights sleep with strange half awake half asleep dreams.

12 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

So glad that she's on the mend. Fingers crossed for you both with the second jab, frightening stuff. 

12 hours ago, peck said:

Posted February 16

Had mine on 6th Feb at 10-15, that evening at about 8-30 started to feel shivery and could not get warm, gradually got worse with a temp of 39.2 and heartrate of about 140, blood pressure was also high, i was lying in bed feeling like poo listening to my own heart racing, eventually phoned my daughter who is a district nursing sister, she came over did my obs and suggested phoning 111 which we did (first thing sjhe suggested was to take some paracetamol which i did) they took details and said they would get a doctor to phone me, i was expecting a 3 or 4 hour wait for that but within 15 minutes doctor phoned, i told him my symptoms and that i had taken 2 paracetamol which he suggested. The time was now about 2-00 Sunday morning my symptoms were getting a little better by now so he told me if i was not a lot better by morning to phone again, to cut a long story a bit shorter i managed to get to sleep about 3-00 and when i woke up at 11-00 i felt a lot better.

i Looked on the website and it said if you have any side effects from the injection to fill in a form online which i did.

I can tell you that i was quite worried for an hour or 2 but when i woke up i was very relieved.  Sunday evening both myself and my wife who had also had the jab at the same time we both a bit groggy for a couple of hours. I am still getting a headache occasionally which i do not usually get and having disturbed nights sleep with strange half awake half asleep dreams.

I did the same. Form filled in with all the details of what she was suffering with.

My wife and I thank you all for your kind comments.

Edited by steve_b_wales

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

How's she feeling now Steve? .

She's feeling very cold and tired Mel. She's asleep on the settee now and it's not like her. She won't listen to me and go up to bed, so I'm creeping around like a Ninja! 

It's coming and going in bouts with her. She was feeling reasonably okay when her daughter popped down yesterday afternoon, then felt tired last night. She was okay when we walked into town this morning, but struggled to find the strength to walk back up the hill. Hopefully, getting some rest will do her good. :good:

i had the phiser  feel pear-shaped all the time  (cant swear)   non worse than normal   waking up in pain every day   body weak brain sharp on we go            mrs had oxford  she said feel ok  i said some thing wrong no whining          kids agreed     but next day  we paid the price   whined god help us           on a serious note friends have had jab late evening then sleep  no dramas  early morning jabs rough all day  brother crook his mrs ok     other brother and mrs ok       customer friends out of 6 couples 1 mrs crook for a day   but today back to her normal bright self            

Edited by Saltings

UPDATE:

Until this morning, my wife was very lethargic and slept for most of the afternoon/early evening. She had a temperature and felt very 'clammy'. We have heard that there are quite a few people in my town, who had had a bad reaction to the vaccine, and all attended the same GP surgery. One person is in hospital with a bleed on her brain. This could be unrelated of course, but it does make me, and other's wonder if there was a bad batch of the vaccine, that's if they have all had the same batch number of course. I'm trying to find out.

52 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Had mine an hour ago so let’s see how I am tomorrow . 
glad your wife’s ok tho 😎👍. My girlfriend was ill for a few days 

Whatever you do , don't operate any dangerous machinery for a few days nath 😅.