Bridges

Hi all

I'm in need of some advice on how and what to use to make some bridges across a variety of ditches, dykes and ponds on out shoot.  It's boggy farmland around some areas and the metal temporary pedestrian bridges that are available to buy online are way too expensive so hoping someone has come up with a cost effective easy fitted answer? Thanks in advance for your help

Sleepers are the best bet .  I built a bridge across a wide stream with some level crossing sleepers (longer) and put the ends on concrete slabs. Welded up a frame work to take a half round fencing rail and bolted this whole contraption to the sleepers.  Covered the sleepers with 1/2 inch wire mesh for grip.  A hand rail is essential more so if you just go for one sleeper.  My bridge was three sleepers wide but I still put a hand rail on it. Foolish not to considering it cost very little.

On 07/11/2022 at 15:40, ditchman said:

as liggers on one of the shoots i was on ...used 2nd hand telegraph poles and cut scaffold boards with chicken mesh stapled down...

We used exactly the same , the shoot I was a member on near Norwich had what they called a river , I would have called it a wide dyke , we had a work party one Sunday morning and most who turned up provided bit and pieces , one chap who owned a ground works firm provided two telegraph poles , another brought some scaffold poles and clips , and I cut a load of Oak off cuts from a load of planks we had left over from the 88 gale . for those who didn't bring any materials brought plenty of refreshments .

We got the two poles over and kept them level and together ,  then I nailed these off cuts right across from one side to the other, then two small scaffold poles went in each side with a 21ft pole clipped on to act as as guard rail , then to finish the job off a roll of chick wire was stapled on to the off cuts .

The final job was brilliant , never no trouble and as far as I know it is still safely getting the shoot members across there ( river ).

On 07/11/2022 at 15:33, enfieldspares said:

Make sure there is mesh (strong chicken wire is good if kept well maintained) on the walking surfaces and, now, I think, a good, strong, well anchored handrail. Elsewise you are leaving yourself at great risk of the "Where's there's bame there's a claim" ambulance chaser lawyer firms. You have been warned! LOL!

Yes, trespassers and even burglars have more rights than the land owner, especially if the landowner is also a gun owner or has the audacity to require the use of their own land.

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2022 at 17:53, ditchman said:

the reason why the shoot used telegraph poles...was that they were strong enough to support a quad...when on feeding rounds ..dogging in..short cuts etc..they get alot more use off season than in season...think about it !!

Plus 1 and usually free if they are replacing any in your area. Three feet apart with treads across and a hand rail

CF617477-2F57-48E1-BC12-F49A851E2A18.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jonty said:

Whatever you use, make sure it’s fit for purpose and robust.  I had first hand experience of the awful accident at the Roeburndale shoot at the start of the year where the bridge collapsed.  No shoot day should ever go the way that one did.  

Is that the one where the 2 gentlemen sadly lost their lives after the bridge collapsed? 

I was about to mention that. 

Whatever is build, take care. 

On 08/11/2022 at 17:53, ditchman said:

the reason why the shoot used telegraph poles...was that they were strong enough to support a quad...when on feeding rounds ..dogging in..short cuts etc..they get alot more use off season than in season...think about it !!

iv been on bt openreach, for 38 years,when i first started we cut down a pole, and it was 105 years old, and still hard in the middle.

On 07/11/2022 at 15:40, ditchman said:

as liggers on one of the shoots i was on ...used 2nd hand telegraph poles and cut scaffold boards with chicken mesh stapled down...

This.   You can cut to lenth poles and scaffold boards.   Bit of wire mesh or, better still, twiweld - old chicken cages etc - with a suitable handrail.   They will last for years and years.