Colonoscopy

steve_b_wales

Yesterday morning I attended my local hospital to have the above. I knew what was involved as my wife had it done to her recently. I had a canular inserted into my vein incase I wanted/needed pain relief. When 'on the table' I opted to try the gas and air (Entonox) should need be. At first all was going well until the probe/camera was pushed further in. My stomach became very tight and I was asked to 'try and pass wind'. That I did, but I ended up having the Entonox. All was okay with the procedure and two very small Polyps were removed. Theye will be sent off to check them out. I must admit that I was amazed when I watched the screen, which showed what the camera could see. All in all, it was 'okay'. The day before, I had to drink 2ltrs of Moviprep which is a very powerful laxative. Boy, didn't I know it! Also, no food for 24hrs before.

After the procedure had finished, I was given a cup of tea and a few digestive biscuits, which I enjoyed very much. I ate a Banana on the way home and my wife cooked some sweet & sour Chicken with Rice and Chips for my tea.

Had this last week. I had an early morning appointment so had to take laxatives the day before - Definitely scared to go to bed! After the laxative the actual procedure was just mildly uncomfortable.

Very efficient procedure. I arrived at 8.45 and was driving home at 10.00. I opted for Entonox, so I could drive, although I don't think I really used much. I was told if I had the sedative I could not drive for 24 hours.

I am glad it seemed to go well. When I had mine they said I'd need someone to drive me home and then "stay with me" for the next few hours. I asked why as, at that time, my wife was in France and not yet relocated to the UK. They said it was because of the sedative So I said in that case I could just stay in the hospital for the next few hours. "Oh you can't do that," they said. "It than case do it without the bloomin' sedative then." And they did. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. That's what you need to remember! I wish I'd been told that when as a kid aged twelve or so I had three teeth extracted without an anaesthetic though. It might have helped!

27 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Had this procedure done i didn't have  any pain relief as i was told you will be out  of the recovery room quicker as i wanted to go somewhere 

This for me too. As they didn't have a place for me in any sort of recovery room. As noted.

I had it done ,had two polyps remove and tested OK, took the liquid dynamite the night before and in the morning , you could power a rocket on that stuff, 

I brought the house down with the cheers when I halfhearted , I watched it all on a monitor two foot away .

Luckily I have never had that , yet. On the other hand I have had it through the "other exit" probably 20+ times due to bladder cancer. This is also the preferred entrance for my 35 ish doses of chemo 🤢

CHECK YOUR PEE! PLEASE!!!!!!

i did and I was caught early. Apparently many men ignore 'a bit of pink' and sometimes it's too late. Mine was stage II, but now it's gone. Just yearly check ups now, my third in October this year

Change in loo habits. Having to go more regularly and problems stopping and starting can be indicators - simple blood test is all it takes !

for me peeing blood that looked like worms in pee doctor said unlikely but we don’t take chances!

camera up the japs eye and a blood test all good - don’t chance it being cancer and getting to somewhere a damn sight more important than your prostate!

Agriv8

29 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Luckily I have never had that , yet. On the other hand I have had it through the "other exit" probably 20+ times due to bladder cancer. This is also the preferred entrance for my 35 ish doses of chemo 🤢

CHECK YOUR PEE! PLEASE!!!!!!

i did and I was caught early. Apparently many men ignore 'a bit of pink' and sometimes it's too late. Mine was stage II, but now it's gone. Just yearly check ups now, my third in October this year

Had mine back in January after having a polyp removed and 4 still in place.

The worst part was taking the laxative the day before and attending the hospital at 9am on the Monday, only to be told the doctor hadn’t turned up and then sent home as no one else available to perform the procedure.

Had the procedure the following week and opted for the enema on arrival, just in case the doctor didn’t arrive.

I have a colonoscopy every 4 years to check the polyps left inside.

Had one years ago for diverticulitis. I too watched the screen and a tiny fragment of poo floated down the middle of my intestine.

To this day I don't fathom how that magic can happen, thought it would sort of slide or roll down the sides. :hmm:

I have lost count how many times I have had it done I have chrones my nurse phoned two weeks ago to see how I am doing she as said I need a blood test stool and then I need another endoscopy thanks I said it’s the taste of that drink and rushing to the loo that’s what gets me been like this for nearly twenty years it’s just that rude drink 

6 hours ago, yates said:

Good post for me Steve as I have telephone consultation with my consultant surgeon this afternoon as to whether I require one. 

I had it done because a MRI scan couldn't find anything wrong pertaining to the problem I have, so the Colonoscpoy was ordered as well.

Snap! I have just been booked in for my colonoscopy in 10 days time and and already have the Devils juice waiting in the cupboard.

Unfortunately, due to my anti platelet medication , if they do find anything, they can’t treat it there and then, so I will then have to stop the tabets and let them have another go again with the dynorod a few days later. Oh joy!😂

• 1 month later...

I took the liquid - started in the afternoon - went to bed, got up - nothing - called the hospital at 10am to say nothing has happened as my appointment was at about 3pm and didn't want to waste time etc... They said it will - 30 minutes later the bottom fell out of my erh...bottom!!

5 hours ago, discobob said:

I took the liquid - started in the afternoon - went to bed, got up - nothing - called the hospital at 10am to say nothing has happened as my appointment was at about 3pm and didn't want to waste time etc... They said it will - 30 minutes later the bottom fell out of my erh...bottom!!

It took approx' 3 hours for it to work on me. And after drinking the 2 ltrs, my bowels were completely emptied. 

All I can say is that the loo cistern was given a proper workout yesterday evening and last night! She went in and had the procedure this morning and according to my daughter she came out talking gibberish. The anaesthetic had mostly worn off by the time she got back but says the pain was worse when "it was going around the corners". Good news is no sign of cancer but evidence of diverticula disease. Having experienced the Big C and chemo myself I was naturally worried that she may have succumbed too.

Had endoscopy and colonoscopy both on same day one after the other just last year due to a couple of symptoms, rocket fuel did the business in no time clearing things out and I have no doubt it could be introduced as a weight loss programme if used regularly 🙂 as I’m convinced I lost at least two stone during the process, we need to undergo these little inconveniences now and then to help keep things in check and fortunately all was good to a certain extent having only found a hernia in my case.

As a side note, we also need to keep a check on any kind of unusual symptoms that may sneak up on us now and then and, in the words of one of my consultants  “we should pester our GPS more than we do as that’s what they are there for” and help catch things early if they are lurking about before they get chance to manifest.

4 hours ago, Keith RW said:

Had endoscopy and colonoscopy both on same day one after the other just last year due to a couple of symptoms, rocket fuel did the business in no time clearing things out and I have no doubt it could be introduced as a weight loss programme if used regularly 🙂 as I’m convinced I lost at least two stone during the process, we need to undergo these little inconveniences now and then to help keep things in check and fortunately all was good to a certain extent having only found a hernia in my case.

As a side note, we also need to keep a check on any kind of unusual symptoms that may sneak up on us now and then and, in the words of one of my consultants  “we should pester our GPS more than we do as that’s what they are there for” and help catch things early if they are lurking about before they get chance to manifest.

Wise words! It is a fact that men tend to brush off or ignore symptoms in the hope that they will go away.