Spending money ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

Whenever i say to my pals i'm going to buy a new gun, bino's, watch etc they say why. You already have enough gear.

It seems not only do they not like spending their own money they don't seem to like me spending mine.

I'm an old boy now with everything paid for so why shouldn't i enjoy buying a few things that i fancy. 

No good dying and leaving it all. Any views on this ?.

Thanks all.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Whenever i say to my pals i'm going to buy a new gun, bino's, watch etc they say why. You already have enough gear.

It seems not only do they not like spending their own money they don't seem to like me spending mine.

I'm an old boy now with everything paid for so why shouldn't i enjoy buying a few things that i fancy. 

Thanks all.

A work colleauge asked me what, on average do  I spend on 'shooting' a year. I couldn't give a exact total but explained that withough purchasing 'expensive' items such as firearms, scopes, etc etc, it would only amount to less than a few £100. He commented, what a waste of money just for something to go 'bang'.' I then asked him what he spends on cigarettes and alcohol per week/year (I don't smoke or drink, neither does my wife) and, after working it out, he replied, 'around £8000 (that's not including his wife who also smokes/drinks) and I replied, 'what a waste'! I said to him 'each to their own',. I've worked to the best of my ability since leaving college, and have paid my way in society. I've paid off my mortgage many years ago, my wife and I have a new car each and we holiday abroad twice a year, and if I smoked/drank £8000 + a year, I would not be able to afford all that I have and do now. He went quiet after that. :)

Edited by steve_b_wales

Hello, on another side with money, my dad always wanted to retire to Spain but for various reasons never fulfilled this while he could afford it, quite a few years on he had to go in a nursing home and all his pensions and saving went but for £50 a month spending money 🤔 , fast forward to now does it really pay to have to much in savings ? Is it wrong to help your children, grandchildren, and as sam said is it wrong to buy some new shooting gear, absolutely not but I have quite a few shooting item including night vision still not used 🤔🙄

ever since i was earning i spent most of my money on shooting........even then when i was young i often thought what if when you got to 50 or 60 you became very ill....i see my mates now who are in that position now....all they can do is fret they never had the fun when they could

my body now is totally ******.......but when im in bed at night and think of the wonerful times ive had in the country .....................i dont fret........i smile and i feel good

I had a few harsh discussions with my eldest, who sent two of my grandchildren to a private school. Cost per year - around £32k. I couldn't get my head around it and told him it was a waste of money, as it is as much as some people earn, before Tax, NI etc.

Educationally a complete waste of time as both got decent results, but far worse than my grandson who attended a state school. The only benefits are that one granddaughter can play saxophone and clarinet to Level 8 and swims at County level. The other one ended up with bit parts on TV, including Peaky Blinders.

My son's view was that it was his money, not mine, to which I had no answer. He pointed out that he didn't lecture me on my spending, so I should get off his case.

Back in the 1970’s I once had a work colleague, who earned exactly the same money as I did, stand there smoking a fag and ask me why I could afford to run a Range Rover when he could only afford a Vauxhall Viva. 
He could not understand what I meant when I told him the answer was in his hands.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

A work colleauge asked me what, on average do  I spend on 'shooting' a year. I couldn't give a exact total but explained that withough purchasing 'expensive' items such as firearms, scopes, etc etc, it would only amount to less than a few £100. He commented, what a waste of money just for something to go 'bang'.' I then asked him what he spends on cigarettes and alcohol per week/year (I don't smoke or drink, neither does my wife) and, after working it out, he replied, 'around £8000 (that's not including his wife who also smokes/drinks) and I replied, 'what a waste'! I said to him 'each to their own',. I've worked to the best of my ability since leaving college, and have paid my way in society. I've paid off my mortgage many years ago, my wife and I have a new car each and we holiday abroad twice a year, and if I smoked/drank £8000 + a year, I would not be able to afford all that I have and do now. He went quiet after that. 

About sums it up you spend your money on what gives you pleasure. I don’t smoke and rarely drink but have some nice guns and shoot/fish when I choose. Kids have been told it’ll be spent and they are happy with that so will enjoy my retirement with no mortgage to worry about.

Used to get it at the factory I worked at. I had a few cars including some classics and a yank. The guys would take the ****, “what do you want all these cars for?” Or “how do you afford all that”

these were guys that would get paid on a Friday afternoon and be broke by Saturday morning and extremely hung over. 

it’s your cash, do with it as you please!  

5 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

There aint no pockets in shrouds, get it spent and enjoy it while you can and good luck to you ! 

Seen and heard all of the above along the way over the years and no doubt will continue to do so over the years to come,  I retired last year at 63 and on announcing it to colleagues etc. was informed by several as to how “ Lucky” I was ??? and how much money I must have been on over the years etc. etc.

nothing to do with the fact that I’d paid in to various pension schemes whenever the opportunity arose and having gone without that cash over the course of a lifetimes work, well at least since being 18 years old.

you makes your own “Luck” and your own plans along with your own choices, it’s all about balance, I don’t think there’s a week goes by without me spending yet more on the sport….. really need to look a moving some of the guns on now though as far too many to make real Use of.

enjoy what you do as this is not a test run 

13 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

.... these were guys that would get paid on a Friday afternoon and be broke by Saturday morning and extremely hung over .......

In another life, for every company that I could, I introduced paying wages into the employees' bank accounts, rather than paying them in cash on a Friday.

Major savings for the company - no security delivery costs, less risks for the payroll staff, less time wasted.

After a few grumbles "My wife will know what I'm paid now", "How will I pay my bookie?", the feedback was that the blokes had more cash on Saturday and Monday absenteeism dropped.

Not sure how many invested in guns, though.

13 minutes ago, amateur said:

In another life, for every company that I could, I introduced paying wages into the employees' bank accounts, rather than paying them in cash on a Friday.

Major savings for the company - no security delivery costs, less risks for the payroll staff, less time wasted.

After a few grumbles "My wife will know what I'm paid now", "How will I pay my bookie?", the feedback was that the blokes had more cash on Saturday and Monday absenteeism dropped.

Not sure how many invested in guns, though.

We were still payed digitally 10 years ago. I will never forget one bloke going out on the town all night then rolling into work Saturday morning, he fell asleep in a concrete cast gully pot. I had no sympathy.

I’ve worked since I was 16 and havent stopped, other than a redundancy that left me out of work for 3 weeks at 17. 

had this conversation with credit cards Thursday night. Never had one. Don’t want one either. If I don’t have it, I don’t spend it! 

A slight variation on the thread; all my life (I'm late 60s now), when I have bought something (shooting, or most other major purchases), I have always tried to buy the 'best' I could afford.  As a consequence, in my 'declining years' I have a decent selection of 'good/best grade' guns, nice accessories (Brady/Croots etc. bags and sleeves), and similar, and I now find I buy very little as everything is lasting well.

• My guns vary in age from over 200 years old to around 30 years old at youngest
  • My bags, sleeves etc are all 30+ years old
  • My shooting vehicle (Defender) is 30 years old this year
  • Even my ear plugs (Emtec noisebreakers) are over 30 years old

I have never regretted buying the best I could.

Some very wise words spoken above. But it's not me not wanting to spend my money its my pals.

I will tell them to go away in jerky movements and start having a spend up as soon as i see something i want.

Once again thank you all for some good advice 👍.

2 minutes ago, samboy said:

Some very wise words spoken above. But it's not me not wanting to spend my money its my pals.

I will tell them to go away in jerky movements and start having a spend up as soon as i see something i want.

Once again thank you all for some good advice 👍.

I’d suggest that it’s the green eyed monster of envy of not wanting to see you spend your money and enjoy what you want to spend it on whereas others maybe not be in the same position to be able to do so….

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I had a few harsh discussions with my eldest, who sent two of my grandchildren to a private school. Cost per year - around £32k. I couldn't get my head around it and told him it was a waste of money, as it is as much as some people earn, before Tax, NI etc.

Educationally a complete waste of time as both got decent results, but far worse than my grandson who attended a state school. The only benefits are that one granddaughter can play saxophone and clarinet to Level 8 and swims at County level. The other one ended up with bit parts on TV, including Peaky Blinders.

My son's view was that it was his money, not mine, to which I had no answer. He pointed out that he didn't lecture me on my spending, so I should get off his case.

I went to a private primary school. 

I was in a state primary and couldn’t read or write, my dad put me in with the nuns who gave me a lot more 1:1 input (and a lot of beatings). 

You may think their achievement isn’t exactly that high but you can’t compare it as they could have achieved significantly less if they hadn’t had that education.

I know if my dad hadn’t done what he did there’s no way I’d of got as well paid job etc as I have now, the ground work and basics taught even back then in primary school benefit me today. 

The amount of people I work with who can’t do basic maths, or lack basic English Language skills in professional jobs astounds me. 

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

We were still payed digitally 10 years ago. I will never forget one bloke going out on the town all night then rolling into work Saturday morning, he fell asleep in a concrete cast gully pot. I had no sympathy.

I’ve worked since I was 16 and havent stopped, other than a redundancy that left me out of work for 3 weeks at 17. 

had this conversation with credit cards Thursday night. Never had one. Don’t want one either. If I don’t have it, I don’t spend it! 

I don’t have a credit card but I’m thinking of getting one as we have them for work . It’s insured so don’t rule one out. Faulty goods , money theft etc is covered . 

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I went to a private primary school. 

I was in a state primary and couldn’t read or write, my dad put me in with the nuns who gave me a lot more 1:1 input (and a lot of beatings). 

You may think their achievement isn’t exactly that high but you can’t compare it as they could have achieved significantly less if they hadn’t had that education.

I know if my dad hadn’t done what he did there’s no way I’d of got as well paid job etc as I have now, the ground work and basics taught even back then in primary school benefit me today. 

The amount of people I work with who can’t do basic maths, or lack basic English Language skills in professional jobs astounds me. 

I’m not the smartest but do believe in looking professional on letters etc as a business. 
my son is getting extra help as they think he’s autistic. Everyone’s clever in their on way tho 😎👍. Fair play to you 👍😎

I’m working 14 hours a day currently and saving what I can but it’s only because I want for nothing really . 
I’m currently in Somerset again and been Weymouth today . In two days I’ve spent £250 in  McDonald’s, diesel, food , hoody for my son , parking etc . 
The kids are loving it tho so I’m happy with it .

my duck shoot is £150 a year 

my ammo £1-200 

My shooting car inc tax insurance , fuel I guess £1000. 
£100 a month on average covers the best shooting I can get averaging 3-4 deer a year, 30 duck , 100 bunny , 5-600 pigeons , squirrels etc . It’s a cheap hobby really compared to when I raced mx/ enduro 😂

I do live an ok life .

my house I built but it’s nothing special but a cheap mortgage allows play money . 

17 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’m working 14 hours a day currently and saving what I can but it’s only because I want for nothing really . 
I’m currently in Somerset again and been Weymouth today . In two days I’ve spent £250 in  McDonald’s, diesel, food , hoody for my son , parking etc . 
The kids are loving it tho so I’m happy with it .

my duck shoot is £150 a year 

my ammo £1-200 

My shooting car inc tax insurance , fuel I guess £1000. 
£100 a month on average covers the best shooting I can get averaging 3-4 deer a year, 30 duck , 100 bunny , 5-600 pigeons , squirrels etc . It’s a cheap hobby really compared to when I raced mx/ enduro 😂

I do live an ok life .

my house I built but it’s nothing special but a cheap mortgage allows play money . 

What no beach fishing 🤔🤔😁😁