Banning of Machete and similar tools

Dougy

So they are planning on banning or controlling the sale of machete or similar tools to prevent murder's. 

I have never confessed to know it all and i dont have anything after my name, but what i do have is enough common sense to know that if someone goes out to commit murder they will use whatever means they can to achieve their target. 

I've had a machete for over 25 years now and guess what,  its not hurt a sole and never will, if some head case wants to plan on killing another human they will use whatever they can get their hands on. A garden fork, scythe, crow bar, hammer, screw driver, the list is endless what they should look at banning is the air these wasters breath. 

I have two machete and a bill hook I use to clear vegetation around outcrops and to often gain access to over grown areas during the working day. What should I use instead? A broom handle? Sometimes the laws or to be laws make no sense to me.

Edited by Duckandswing

I think if you read the consultation it acknowledges that machetes bill hooks and the like have a legitimate use in agriculture, bushcraft and the such. 

the intention is to ban machetes and such that serve no practical purpose and are not covered under the zombie knife regulations as well as closing the defence loopholes. 

Fear not I believe your weed patch will still succumb for the next few years at least.  

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

We (work) dealt with a child recently who was struck with a machete… grim reading … I won’t go into details but note that the Police were too afraid to move the body as the injury was so severe. 

Most serious injuries makes grim reading, but you don't stop them by banning machetes and similar tools, any more than banning hand guns stopped injuries from hand gun use.  Similarly horrific accidents happen in travel, industry, and many fields of normal life.

I accept that these things have no place on the streets but many of us who live and work in the country use tools and implements daily that (if used as a weapon) can cause horrific injury.  We need to catch and lock up the criminals, not ban agricultural, horticultural and similar tools - anymore than we ned to ban motor vehicles which also cause terrible injuries when things go wrong.

31 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Most serious injuries makes grim reading, but you don't stop them by banning machetes and similar tools, any more than banning hand guns stopped injuries from hand gun use.  Similarly horrific accidents happen in travel, industry, and many fields of normal life.

I accept that these things have no place on the streets but many of us who live and work in the country use tools and implements daily that (if used as a weapon) can cause horrific injury.  We need to catch and lock up the criminals, not ban agricultural, horticultural and similar tools - anymore than we ned to ban motor vehicles which also cause terrible injuries when things go wrong.

I agree with you John. 

What's really happened is a chronic underfunding of the Police, not enough officers or resources to do the job. 

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I agree with you John. 

What's really happened is a chronic underfunding of the Police, not enough officers or resources to do the job. 

Notwithstanding any horrific injury relating to crime, but sorry how does that relate to the majority of us who use machetes, axes and billhooks as working tools? Like the so called knife angel doing the rounds? How does that influence the behaviour of some? I overheard a few looking on with envy of some displayed items?

A different attempt to feed opiods to the masses with the given impression that any of their action relates to caring and compassion?

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I agree with you John. 

You can have all the police you want, but if the courts don't give the offenders decent penalties. Then it just turns into a minor inconvenience for a day and then carry on as usual.

4 hours ago, countryman said:

The biggest problem in our Country with our so called leaders is common sense is just not there, punish the criminals hard for what they have done not what they done it with.

Same with America, we got soft.  People aren’t afraid of the repercussions of crime.  I stole a stick of laffytaffy candy when I was about 6 years old.  Mom went in and made me pay for it.  When I got home she whipped me.  Then I had to set on the porch for 3 hours until me dad got home.  He whipped me so hard that I am 39 years old and still get anxiety and start sweating when I see LaffyTaffy candy in the store.   But that was the last thing I ever stole. 

8 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Same with America, we got soft.  People aren’t afraid of the repercussions of crime.  I stole a stick of laffytaffy candy when I was about 6 years old.  Mom went in and made me pay for it.  When I got home she whipped me.  Then I had to set on the porch for 3 hours until me dad got home.  He whipped me so hard that I am 39 years old and still get anxiety and start sweating when I see LaffyTaffy candy in the store.   But that was the last thing I ever stole. 

That’s the way to do it.

And even more fiercely with adult offenders.

A machete is not the weapon of choice for us here in the UK.

Theye are rare here as the vegitation doesn't grow fiercely enough to warrant one in every home.
In some countries that is very different and there, they are the used when walking into towm or across the fields, also in defence/attack situations and are the first thing you would grab when the situation arose.
It's not machetes we need to ban its the people who would think to use them for anything other than weed control.

Edited by miki